Autopsy 2023 Rd 7 Charlie's Blues beat Eagles by a tonne

Who played well vs the Eagles in Round 7

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Pluses for me outside of the obvious stand out players:

Better ball movement. Amazing how it‘s easier to score when you move the ball quicker.

Saad and Doc back, see above.

Cincotta.

Kemp.

Pitt’s work around the ball ups.

George’s work in close.

Thought Honey contributed more although will be interesting to see if he gets another shot at it next week.

Not sure there will be many changes unless someone is sore. Also not sure I would put Mots straight back in tbh.

Curious to see if Cotts and Boyd can get into the side soon.

Pluses for me outside of the obvious stand out players:

Better ball movement. Amazing how it‘s easier to score when you move the ball quicker.

Saad and Doc back, see above.

Cincotta.

Kemp.

Pitt’s work around the ball ups.

George’s work in close.

Thought Honey contributed more although will be interesting to see if he gets another shot at it next week.

Not sure there will be many changes unless someone is sore. Also not sure I would put Mots straight back in tbh.

Curious to see if Cotts and Boyd can get into the side soon.
I think Cotts and Boyd will make us better. Just mentally tough and provide huge run/pace.

Okay.

Some would say that, as a supporter, you cannot take much from a game like this, in which you were so dominant. I am not one of those people; it is only on days like this that you see what your system looks like when things are going completely your way, when you've blown it open. This is the coaches' and the players' ideal, this is what the system should look like operating at full capacity; this is an opportunity for us to see what that looks like and analyse it on that basis.

And on that basis, you can clearly see what Voss has done differently to last year. We are much - MUCH - better organised behind the ball. When we spread, we spread wide and look to split the defense or move sideways multiple times, only going and going fast when it suits us to do it; this juxtaposed to going as quickly as we can at all times, only to run out of steam due to fatigue. Certain players are given a licence to pull off inboard kicks - Cerra, Gov, Weitering, Newman, Cincotta, Acres, Jack - where others - Doc, Fish, Ed, Cripps, Hewitt - aren't. A key forward kicks a bag, with the other either blocking or dragging players away. The defenders are well organised, holding their positions with the wingers holding wide, forming almost a wedge together when we don't have the ball.

In a stoppage situation, we rely on Cripps or Hewitt getting the ball first with Pittonett (not TDK) palming the ball down to where they will be not where they are. They then handpass forward, and either go or handpass backwards after drawing the player to Doc or Cerra.

Honey/Owies' (their roles are identical) role is hit up and pressure; no ******* wonder they don't get overmuch of the ball. Fish is high half forward, and Durdin is a classic defensive forward flanker, ranging all the way from half back to deep fifty.

The most important component of last night's win - to my mind - is that it was as defensively sound as it was offensively. We had most of the ball and time in possession, yet laid 83 tackles. Beat them in pressure acts. Kept them to 28 points for most of the night, and 44 for the game.

The result should not be overestimated, but at least now we have a clear blueprint of what the gameplan is meant to look like.

I agree with most things said

We look reasonably well organised, but when we are not gee it’s ugly, case in point, they appeared to expect Charlie to kick a goal, quick kick in, end to end goal against - not happy

was right behind the goals on lvl3 last night, forward setup looked okay, a lot pointing and talking, a few more examples where players lowered eyes and hit targets on leads, but largely bombing forward was the go, most teams are not going to let Charlie jump at packs without body contact

Pressure on the ball was much better

And to think, we thought we lost when the pies took Markov from under our feet.

Barely loses a one v one, tackling is just about the best in our team, as clean as anyone below his knees, beautiful kick on both sides.

It’s actually hard to fault him really. Brilliant pick up.
It's also a great Club story.
Come to Carlton VFL and you can earn your chance.

Pretty good sporting day yesterday: Lakers and Blues by plenty, Lakers through to the semis after a very dodgy start to the year.

Our start hasn’t been great but, we are winning, improving and we are strong in the contested brand that wins finals.

Continued growth in our transition game both ways and a good run with injury and we are as good a chance as anyone.

Didn’t expect that from Cinc.

Doc and Saad returns are very significant. Doc just may be a bot given those rehab skills.

Those yips of Harry! Goodness that’s a journey back. Everything else he does is great though.

Onwards to the Brions.

6aff9c1ad05352427011120120566f10.jpg

Ferris Buellers Day Off Nine Times GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Massive rap for Cottrell and have been for some time. Clutch footballer, plays with mongrel, knows how to find space inside 50. Does not miss. High half forward is his for the taking.
People have been critical of his skills, but it has been much more to do with getting used to the level, rather than his base skills.
Players who can't kick don't nail match-winning goals.
He's tough and runs quick all day. I'd like to see him tag Nick Daicos.

Just got to the Cinc "holding the ball" incident in the replay... Cinc got his hand to the ball and handballed it away just as the weagles player got into his back and drove him into the ground. The angle is perfect, you can see right under him as he handballs it.

A lot to like about that.

I was very confident going in but clearly that was much better than expected. A thoroughly enjoyable watch from start to finish.

West Coast are terrible. In a world of pain and it won't get easier for them as the season goes on.
To their credit they put up a fight in the middle but other than that it was very easy for us. Had the game on our terms for the entirety of the evening, moved the ball as we wanted, a glorified training session with very little pressure.

Most pleasing for mine was the 4th quarter. This side hasn't shown much of an inclination to be ruthless and really put a team away so with a 71 point lead at 3/4 time I expected us to ease up and coast in the 4th.
To their credit they did the opposite, put the foot down and really buried the Eagles. It was a very pleasant surprise.

Very few passengers last night, most did their job and did it well. Hopefully they take a lot of confidence from it - there are many bigger tests to come.

Have said on here a few times I believe Saad is a top 5 player at Carlton. Well on his way to another All Australian. There is not a thing he does poorly.
Saad's little tap-ons with his feet to keep the ball out in front of him when it's on the ground in congestion is such an underrated skills of his. Allows him to keep his feet, while knocking the ball into some space so he has time to reach down and pick it up with more ease.

Saad's little tap-ons with his feet to keep the ball out in front of him when it's on the ground in congestion is such an underrated skills of his. Allows him to keep his feet, while knocking the ball into some space so he has time to reach down and pick it up with more ease.

Yep, and his first instinct when he does get a hot footy is to dodge the tackler and create 3-4m for himself to then make a smart decision with the ball. Other players will pass the problem onto someone else.

Here's something that I don't think has been mentioned yet.

Charlie kicks his ninth goal. Still about 10 minutes on the clock.

Now, we could have easily, and justifiably, sat the ball on his head for every subsequent entry, trying to get him his tenth. It would have been expected, and easy to defend. Probably would have resulted in some turnovers that may or may not have let WC claw back a bit of the margin.

We did look for him a few times, when it was the right play. But we didn't get tunnel vision. We assessed the options and, in that last 10 minutes of play, found SIX other goal scorers.

That to me should be on the whiteboard in this week's team meetings. That is a professional team performance.
Charlie missed a sitter in the third. That would have been the one that gave him 10 goals on the night. Even he said he should have kicked that one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Rd 7 Charlie's Blues beat Eagles by a tonne

Back