Autopsy 2023 Round 14 We needed this! Blues break the drought with big win over Suns

Who played well for the Blues in Rd 14 vs the Suns?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Kemp, Weitering and McGovern is the way to set up our defensive talls - plenty of pace and enough size to compete when one out. Weitering can handle a wrestle and McGovern is usually superb at reading the flight. Pitt pushed back hard and spoiled their dump kicks to key forwards.

Biggest positive was seeing a variety of midfield rotations.

I’d be very hesitant to bring back Hewett unless Kennedy needs a rest.

Still short an offensive player with genuine pace (if Cuningham holds together, he’ll be it) , but the setup just allowed for some beautiful transition footy.

Backline was very good today, Wetters needs to play on best forward every week. Kemp played one of his best games and needs to be signed asap, though his game sense was excellent, and can see his confidence growing.

We're such a passionate,crazy bunch of supporters. Coming from last week throwing disgusting verbal abuse at the players as they went off down the race after the loss to a standing ovation today at the half time break after the massive pile on of goals in the second quarter.
One week is a long time in footy.
Great win Bluebaggers!!💙💙
Whattaya mean We?

Finish the year strong build some momentum for next year and get back some confidence like port did last year.

A lot can still be salvaged out of this year

Good to have ya back crippa
Very much agree, let’s get something out of this year and at least shape the 8. The balance of this squad is what we need for the rest of the year

As much as that footage of people throwing stuff and hurling abuse at the players was pretty terrible, I am hoping that is something that finally made them pull their finger out. GC are also a middling side and considering we lost to Sydney's reserves, it's actually an improvement. I hope they play with as much flair and freedom for the rest of the year, we're still a mathematical chance for finals after all!

This win does irk me in a way too, where was this commitment earlier? For the people who are saying "well, we should have lost to get a lower pick", this is exactly the kind of losing culture cancer I've been talking about for over a decade now. Weitering and Walsh certainly haven't catapulted us to top 4, finals or any of that... and they never will, at least not in isolation. Start winning to establish a winning, no-nonsense culture and we're halfway there.

We need to trade one of Kennedy and Hewett and it's looking more and more like Kennedy is the better player. Swans saw where the game was going and how important leg speed was becoming, big reason why he was so easy to get IMO.

There's still room for the good but slow mid in a team, just not as much room as there use to be.

I think the mix we had today was pretty good. Would love a way to squeeze Dow into the team. Add another fast player who can impact the stats sheet. I'd be playing Dow ahead of Hewett at this stage. We need to really embrace speed.

You take out Young and just go with McGovern and Kemp. You stick with Boyd, Cincotta, Saad and Docherty and don't do stupid moves such as Kennedy in defence and it makes a massive difference.

You take Motlop, Fisher and Silvagni out of the forward line who are either unfit, slow or won't tackle. Send Curnow and McKay back to the full forward line where they play their best, add a proper forward/Ruck who also plays a good game at CHF and a few quick players such as Fogarty, Cuningham and Martin. It really changes things.

At one stage I was struggling to find quicker players in our team, now struggling to find the slower ones. The pressure was up, the defenders played better because of it, the forwards were good because of the fast play and they in turn applied far better pressure.

Some good changes structurally. We may have to play Young on the odd occasion but we are better off being quicker and more skilled.

Fast legs, high midfield rotations, McKay and Curnow deep with someone else playing CHF, A proper forward ruck, good tacklers, getting the ball in the hands of the better kicks. We've made a lot of changes in a short period of time to get the team up to speed.

Loved how we played today but no way should we be looking at mucking up what we have begun to build here.

The only player I would be thinking could come into that team and make an impact would be Williams, Marchbank, Dow, Motlop if he can take his fitness to another level, Hollands, Durdin and Cowan. Those who can run and will apply pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much as that footage of people throwing stuff and hurling abuse at the players was pretty terrible, I am hoping that is something that finally made them pull their finger out. GC are also a middling side and considering we lost to Sydney's reserves, it's actually an improvement. I hope they play with as much flair and freedom for the rest of the year, we're still a mathematical chance for finals after all!

This win does irk me in a way too, where was this commitment earlier? For the people who are saying "well, we should have lost to get a lower pick", this is exactly the kind of losing culture cancer I've been talking about for over a decade now. Weitering and Walsh certainly haven't catapulted us to top 4, finals or any of that... and they never will, at least not in isolation. Start winning to establish a winning, no-nonsense culture and we're halfway there.

That and running out onto the ground this week to a three quarters empty stadium would have been a bit of a wake up call for the for sure.

I don't support swearing at our players of course but they may have understood the pain their lack of effort was inflicting on the supporter group.

That and running out onto the ground this week to a three quarters empty stadium would have been a bit of a wake up call for the for sure.

I don't support swearing at our players of course but they may have understood the pain their lack of effort was inflicting on the supporter group.
Doubt its got anything to do with it. These lads copped much worse at u 15's.

Kemp, Weitering and McGovern is the way to set up our defensive talls - plenty of pace and enough size to compete when one out. Weitering can handle a wrestle and McGovern is usually superb at reading the flight. Pitt pushed back hard and spoiled their dump kicks to key forwards.

Biggest positive was seeing a variety of midfield rotations.

I’d be very hesitant to bring back Hewett unless Kennedy needs a rest.

Still short an offensive player with genuine pace (if Cuningham holds together, he’ll be it) , but the setup just allowed for some beautiful transition footy.

McGovern makes just as many mistakes as Young. He is a liability. Kemp is damn good kid and the fact he can do what he did today is just fantastic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2023 Round 14 We needed this! Blues break the drought with big win over Suns

Back