2023 (Tenacious) Annual Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 7 - Western Bulldogs - Ryley Sanders - Tasmanian Devils/Sandringham Dragons 185cm 86kg

Why? Simply put, the Bulldog’s midfield is aging. Libba and Bont are the extractors. Generation next is needed, quickly.

SANDERS is the best genuine midfielder in the draft. Shiny McKercher gets the hype, good player, yes, but the best complete midfielder in the draft is Sanders. He does it inside and out. Covers the kilometres and racks up the possessions.
Quality in every aspect of the game. Not at the extreme upper level for pace, but quick and agile, a workhorse with a generous touch of class. Kicks goals, mops up in defence. Two way runner as effective at the source, as linking up, as working defensively. The consummate modern midfielder.

The young man played in an Allies team, not a team of easy beats, as that construct usually is, a team of quality young footballers from various precincts who gelled well enough to remain undefeated and beat all comers. Shining like a beacon was the midfield playmaker who won the Larke Medal for the best and fairest player of the series.

I am not surprised of his skill, he has a great footy pedigree, well known to Tasmanians of my vintage. I played under 16s at North Launceston. The dominant senior team had two brothers named Sanders. Both quality, but I can honestly say Ryley’s grandfather Robbie was the classiest footballer I have seen live outside of VFL/AFL competition.

In my opinion, the “experts” have criminally under rated Sanders in this draft class.

bradfisher14 think you are next

Last edited:
In the Jed Walter match, Wickzki stated he'll auto match all bids on GC academy picks before he went offline. Mark it in Ten. No need to wait.

Thanks for this. There's no way that on reality they don't match these picks.

Reserved for the write up

Thanks for this. There's no way that on reality they don't match these picks.

Reserved for the write up
NoProbs. Yep absolute no brainer matches on merit. And since they've set up their picks like they have they would still match bids for Walter and Read at 1 & 2 if they had to.

Pick 5

Bid - Ethan Read Gold Coast

Wickzki
Good bid. Not too far from the mark. Didn’t take close notice if Read on earlier watches. Going back over footage with a fine tooth comb, so to speak, he is absolutely worth it. Ruck or KPP at either end. Will be a valuable contributor during his development years before providing a worthy successor for Witts. Expecting him to take the Levi role relatively quickly.

Pick 8 - Melbourne Demons - Nate Caddy - Northern Knights

Take two! Sorry, I'm a bit hungover today.

The Demons need some firepower in the forward line and Caddy fits the bill perfectly. He and Van Rooyen will spearhead the Demons attack for the next decade. He also fills a need for key position talent. In addition he helps them hedge against the likelihood of Petty leaving in a year's time as well as Tom McDonald and Ben Brown's impending retirements. The pick just makes way too much sense.

SNAPSHOT: “Nate Caddy is a marking machine with good speed off the mark, unique aerial range, and game-breaking ability.”

There are few players with as much upside as Nate Caddy in this year’s AFL Draft, and even fewer who can claim to match his aerial ability. The 193cm Northern Knights forward comes from good pedigree too, as the son of local legend Saul and nephew of two-time premiership Tiger, Josh.

Caddy came to prominence as a prospect during last year’s Coates Talent League season, booting 18 goals in 13 games as one of the Knights’ rising stars. He also turned out twice for Vic Metro in the Under 18 National Championships and was named to play in the annual Futures showcase.

Heading into his top-age campaign in 2023, Caddy had notoriety as a potential top 10 talent and was duly included in the AFL Academy. A fractured leg interrupted the start of his season, and Caddy missed Vic Metro’s opening champs game through illness, but still produced an array of starring performances.

Among the highlights of his year, Caddy earned selection in the Coates Talent League Team of the Year, was best afield as Parade College took out the Herald Sun Shield, and made his VFL debut with Carlton. His best game on paper was a six-goal haul against Bendigo Pioneers, which also yielded 25 disposals, nine marks, and Player of the Week honours.

JuddgementDay you're up!

Last edited:
Pick 8 - Melbourne Demons - Daniel Curtin - Claremont

Curtin is the best player available and great value in this spot. He also fills a need with May/Lever getting older and Petty likely heading home in 12 months time. I considered Caddy and Watson given the Demons forward issues, but Curtin is just too good a talent to pass up.

A versatile and mobile utility, Daniel Curtin will be one of the names headlining the pointy end of the draft, having shone at senior and State level throughout the year. Highly regarded in the Western Australian pathways for some time, Curtin stamped his authority as a top prospect in the Under 17 Futures game in 2022, winning best afield honours as an intercepting key defender in that match.

He made a steady start to this year as a forward before finding his best form for Western Australia at the Under 18 National Championships. He claimed MVP honours and showed his value as a swingman, spending time across all three areas of the ground. Playing out the remainder of the year in the seniors for Claremont, Curtin looked comfortable, averaging 16 disposals and four marks playing in defence. After the Tigers were eliminated at League level, he returned to captain the Colts to a premiership, putting the exclamation mark on a superb season of football.

JuddgementDay you're up!
Go again mate, check pick 4

Pick 8 - Melbourne Demons - Daniel Curtin - Claremont

Curtin is the best player available and great value in this spot. He also fills a need with May/Lever getting older and Petty likely heading home in 12 months time. I considered Caddy and Watson given the Demons forward issues, but Curtin is just too good a talent to pass up.

A versatile and mobile utility, Daniel Curtin will be one of the names headlining the pointy end of the draft, having shone at senior and State level throughout the year. Highly regarded in the Western Australian pathways for some time, Curtin stamped his authority as a top prospect in the Under 17 Futures game in 2022, winning best afield honours as an intercepting key defender in that match.

He made a steady start to this year as a forward before finding his best form for Western Australia at the Under 18 National Championships. He claimed MVP honours and showed his value as a swingman, spending time across all three areas of the ground. Playing out the remainder of the year in the seniors for Claremont, Curtin looked comfortable, averaging 16 disposals and four marks playing in defence. After the Tigers were eliminated at League level, he returned to captain the Colts to a premiership, putting the exclamation mark on a superb season of football.

JuddgementDay you're up!

Sorry Brad I already got him

But I like the write up 😎

Pick 9 - GWS Connor O'Sullivan
Key Defender 198cm/82kg

GWS have a balance list atm, so I'm just going for best available here.

Key position players are pretty hard to find.
GWS has enough time to let O'Sullivan develop.
Along with Taylor, GWS will be able to handle any big bodied forwards in years to come

TerryWallet

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 10. Geelong James Leake

Well the last pick threw the cat amongst the pigeons. Didn't expect GWS to take my KPD, but all power to you Juddge:thumbsu:.

No slight on Watson, but i personally rate Leake slightly higher on my Board, and if there is one spot the Next Gen Geelong have covered it's small forward with Stengle, Miers and Close all 25yo.

So i am very happy to pick Leake here as a top notch player they can use all over the ground where necessary. Geelong love a versatile player, whether they are taller like Blicsavs or midrangers like Bartel, Duncan, GAJ, Guthrie etc. I think Leake will be a perfect player for Geelong to have as they go about replacing quite a lot of players. Plug and play...to a high level.

I wrote this about him a couple weeks ago:

"One of my very favorite young players in the comp is Mich Owens from the Aints. A superb all round player who can win contests in all manner of ways and help his team win in a big way. I really like Quaynor and Idun for example too for their consistent contest winning. But the latter 2 are backline only players atm.

But that player like young Owens who can win contests all over the ground, great in the air, very good at ground level, strong over the ball, and just the player who can "get it done" all the time. They are gold. Hird was a genius like that, and Owens gives me Hird like vibes.

So what got me thinking of these players and this "type"?

James Leake.

Gives me Owens type feels. Not overly smooth or pretty, but many ways to rip your heart out. A genuine all ground player, strong hands and good read, str8 kick at goal and decisive with ball when upfield, strong tackler, strong over the ball.....and gets it done."

dangertroy for * you're up.

Pick 11 - * - Nick Watson.

I hate to do it, but Watson has slid a lot further than is reasonable so I'll pounce here.

*'s main list problem is that across every line there is a distinct lack of class. And elite talent. Also hygiene. But I digress. Nowhere is this more apparent than in the forward line. I didn't expect to have Watson available - I was hoping that Caddy would make it, or I'd be reaching for Ollie Murphy, adding a tall down back and experimenting over pre-season. I could go a bid for Croft or McCabe as they would fill needs for a tall a bit better, but I'm not letting Watson slip any further.

Watson has been long touted as one of the best in this draft class and he's had an electric season averaging 3.5 goals a game. Lots of questions about he's just too short to succeed in the AFL, but he's got so much skill and creativity coming into the system, it shouldn't matter that * won't develop him properly. Watson will play from round one. Especially with Stringer out for half the season and even with Gresham coming in as a recruit. He's the best small forward in the draft and he'll slot straight into the forward line and actually give opponents someone to worry about.

Plus, Dodoro will love that he's picked up a slider here. Won't be able to get the smug grin off his face without an angle grinder.

Over to you Ninja Worrier I believe.

Dees will bid on Jake Rogers which becomes Pick 13 and then select ...

Pick 14 - Melbourne Demons - Caleb Windsor - Eastern Ranges

They need guys that can kick. Here's a more eloquent explanation:

SNAPSHOT: “Caleb Windsor is a speedy outside runner capable of carving up the opposition in attacking phases, and laying rundown tackles on the defensive end.”

Blazing through the talent pathway after elder brother Kai, Caleb Windsor has climbed draft boards this year as one of the crop’s first round bolters. The speedy wingman showed early promise in his preferred role and followed through with strong Talent League and representative form.

Windsor earned a bottom-age berth in the Eastern Ranges program last year before boosting his numbers as a top-ager in 2023. Both form and upside led to his Vic Metro selection, where he was also afforded centre bounce rotations to go with his usual work on the wing.

Some have labelled Windsor the best wingman in the country, and while he may have missed out on some of the accolades of other top 20 talents, remains very much in the mix. At his best, his speed and agility carve up the opposition and certainly catch the eye.

Sin City you're up.

Pick 7 - Western Bulldogs - Ryley Sanders - Tasmanian Devils/Sandringham Dragons 185cm 86kg

Why? Simply put, the Bulldog’s midfield is aging. Libba and Bont are the extractors. Generation next is needed, quickly.

SANDERS is the best genuine midfielder in the draft. Shiny McKercher gets the hype, good player, yes, but the best complete midfielder in the draft is Sanders. He does it inside and out. Covers the kilometres and racks up the possessions.
Quality in every aspect of the game. Not at the extreme upper level for pace, but quick and agile, a workhorse with a generous touch of class. Kicks goals, mops up in defence. Two way runner as effective at the source, as linking up, as working defensively. The consummate modern midfielder.

The young man played in an Allies team, not a team of easy beats, as that construct usually is, a team of quality young footballers from various precincts who gelled well enough to remain undefeated and beat all comers. Shining like a beacon was the midfield playmaker who won the Larke Medal for the best and fairest player of the series.

I am not surprised of his skill, he has a great footy pedigree, well known to Tasmanians of my vintage. I played under 16s at North Launceston. The dominant senior team had two brothers named Sanders. Both quality, but I can honestly say Ryley’s grandfather Robbie was the classiest footballer I have seen live outside of VFL/AFL competition.

In my opinion, the “experts” have criminally under rated Sanders in this draft class.

bradfisher14 think you are next
Uploaded my summary on initial post.

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 (Tenacious) Annual Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back