2023 (Tenacious) Annual Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 16 - St Kilda - Ollie Murphy

Sorry for the delay I honestly was very torn on this pick. I've re-written my post 3 times as I went back and forth between the two local Sandy boys here Ollie Murphy and Charlie Edwards. I've ultimately gone for the rarer commodity KPD.

Wilkie, Cordy and Howard will all be in front of Ollie to start with however the Saints just delisted Tom Highmore and Oscar Adams who were their KPD depth so it does fit a need also. He'll fit in nicely in their VFL setup while he gets his body ready for the rigours of AFL.

Elite runner for his size, did the 2km time trial in sub 6:30 from what I believe.

Won the Vic Metro MVP, shutting down the best KPF (and best player imo) in the draft Jed Walters at one stage.

No go home factor and a lifelong saints fan so you'll know you get every bit out of him also.

Ninja Worrier with Adelaide's first pick up next.

Crows bid on Will McCabe TENACIOUS

Hawks Match

Pick 17 - Hawthorn - Will McCabe - Height: 197cm - Weight: 86kg - D.O.B: 29-09-2005

McCabe's aerial ability is arguably his most eye-catching trait, and one which strongly demonstrates his athleticism. At 197cm, he has good range and reach, but also leaps at the ball stylishly and isn't afraid to attack the contest. While applicable at either end of the field, it's an attribute he uses most prominently when intercepting down back. McCabe reads the play well and has good toe off the mark to get to the ball first, or close in on other contests as the third man up. He averaged 5.9 marks and 6.1 intercepts per his nine SANFL Under 18 games this season, highlighting his ability to cut off opposition attacks via the aerial route.

Another aspect of McCabe's strong athletic profile is his pace - with the ball. He can run-and-carry like few players his size, taking off on the rebound and often showing opponents a clean set of cleats. He also has a good enough tank to make such plays repeatable and seems to enjoy taking the game on. In those instances, he puts speed on the ball and acts as a dual-threat with his ability to turn defence (intercepting) into attack (rebounding). Compounding his hurt factor, McCabe is also a handy field kick and ran at 81 per cent efficiency at Under 18s level, opting to kick 67 per cent of the time from his average 21.8 disposals.

STRENGTHS:

• Aerial ability
  • Intercept marking
  • Speed
  • Upside
  • Versatility
  • Vertical leap

IMPROVEMENTS:

• One-on-one defending
  • Strength

Credit

Ninja Worrier

Last edited:
Crows bid on Jordan Croft Coona Blues
Absolutely matched.

Pick 18 - Western Bulldogs - Jordan Croft - VIC Metro/Calder Canons - 200cm - 81kg

Outside of Walter, he is the best genuine key forward in the draft. With his slight frame has a number of years development before becoming an AFL key forward, but has all of the pre requisites.

The ridiculous amount of young, ultra tall talent the Bulldogs have acquired through father/son rules is “criminal”. Added to NGA young gun Jamarra Ugle-Hagan and mercurial Aaron Naughton it will be intriguing how the are all jammed in to the side.

On under age showings CROFT shapes as a genuine forward first option. (For the record, I believe Naughton has to go BACK in a couple of years. Ugle-Hagan the focal point, Darcy forward/ruck and Croft developing while an aging Bont spends significant time in the front half. If the keep English through the free agency threat, it will be scary)

Well done on the bid Ninja, think it may be a few too late😜

Ninja Worrier back to you.

Last edited:
Pick 18 - Adelaide Crows - Kolltyn Tholstrup

Soapy V
Hmm, have to do some thorough assessment for the Blues’ pick now. So many options, some speculative, some “vanilla”. Some needs and some will be best available. It really is a conundrum which way to go.

Can somebody do the mathematics regarding the draft pick cost of the various bid matches thus far? We need to recalibrate very soon to confirm pick order. TENACIOUS apologies, you are calculating points. Just need confirmation of revised order.

Sorry Coona Blues was trying to get the crows a tall for balance but when the bids failed I just went to my best available
As you should. No apologies necessary. Tholstrup was just the “easy” pick if he lasted. The way this has transpired, I have a left field option lined up.

Pick 19 - North Melbourne

Archer Reid Key Forward

North now have a glut of mid/runners. Need to add some size. Ollie Murphy would be the target but he is gone

This is more about needs than best player available.

Archer is the best KPP left in the draft. At 203cm has the size just now to develop. For mine he is still very raw and has things to work on. Marking is good and agility good for his size. Reads the ball well in the air so the basics are there to be a very good player. Kicking needs work

Has potential to develop into a Fwd/2nd Ruck type

Will need time but with Larkey CCJ Comben Edwards Zurharr on Norths list he has time to develop

JuddgementDay you're up!

Pick 20 GWS - Mitch Edwards
Ruck 206cm/88kg

With GWS' balanced list, they've got time to invest into the future.
After securing a KPD, they can now lock in a future ruckman.

Mitch Edwards is tall and mobile, has excellent ruck craft and is quite skilful.
He's a modern day ruckman, taking good contested marks around the ground, and can fill in at both ends of the ground.

Ninja Worrier got the player I wanted.
Over to you Soapy V

Last edited:
Pick 21 - North Melbourne

Harry DeMattia Mid/Fwd

Would have liked another KPP but nothing stood out and this kid was too good to pass up

He has what Clarko loves. Running left footer with leg speed who can play Mid/Fwd or off HB.

Can win his own ball and hit targets. Could become a bit of a cult figure and North need these types

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 22 - North Melbourne

Tew Jiath - Defender

Another player with run and dash. Will add to North's defence. Brother of CJ who Clarko coached and he knows the family.
Lot's of upside and improvement to come. I like that he hits targets and is a one grab mark

North have now covered so much. Their list looks awesome for 2028

Blugazi You're up

Hmm, have to do some thorough assessment for the Blues’ pick now. So many options, some speculative, some “vanilla”. Some needs and some will be best available. It really is a conundrum which way to go.

Can somebody do the mathematics regarding the draft pick cost of the various bid matches thus far? We need to recalibrate very soon to confirm pick order. TENACIOUS apologies, you are calculating points. Just need confirmation of revised order.
order is in the first post.

order is in the first post.

Yeah, be nice if a mod could sticky the rolling order to each page so we have a quick reference.

The evenness of this draft is “epic”.

One mooted first rounder by Draft Central left in rebounding half back Roberts, although sneaky ranges added to
Collard, Edwards, Stevens and Green.

Logjam of 25-40 rated Simpson, Schoenmaker, Sanchez, Graham, Delean, Goad, Gothard, Hastie, Lual, and Moir.
I don’t necessarily agree with all of their ratings from 30 suggesting Zakostelsky, Morris, Cleary, Freijah, Lloyd. For mine they have SA captain Patton, O’Driscoll, McAuliffe and Dawson too low, but it is very even and very subjective.

The glaring absence is “silk”. The only top notch distributors from that list are Moir, Schoenmaker and maybe Patton and Simpson. A handful are adequate to good. The point of difference players pretty much all have some queries attached.

No pressure CB…but if Charlie Edwards is on the table you will have Arrow on tenterhooks. 😀

Pick 26 - St Kilda - Charlie Edwards

Bendigo boy who has shot up the ranking in the past few months. Extremely high ceiling, think potentially Bontempelli.

Eyed him off at my previous pick also so extremely happy he's still available here. Saints just need game breakers and Charlie is that.

Great runner also for his size. 2km in sub 6.30.

Next pick Blooz Coona Blues
(sorry)

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 (Tenacious) Annual Carlton Board Phantom Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back