Preview 2024 1st Qualifying Final - Sydney Swans v GWS Giants, Sat 7 September, 3.20 pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bedford hasn't made it in.

Squad:

In - Brent Daniels, Lachie Ash, Isaac Cumming
Out - Harvey Thomas (Omitted), Callum M. Brown (Omitted), Nick Haynes (Omitted)

Milestones - Lachie Ash (100th game)

Backs - 27 Harry Himmelberg, 15 Sam Taylor, 39 Connor Idun
Half Backs - 6 Lachie Whitfield, 44 Jack Buckley, 36 Harry Perryman
Centre - 8 Callan Ward, 12 Tom Green, 22 Josh Kelly
Half Forwards - 16 Brent Daniels, 5 Aaron Cadman, 33 Xavier O'Halloran
Forwards - 2 Darcy Jones, 23 Jesse Hogan, 4 Toby Greene
Followers - 32 Kieren Briggs, 3 Stephen Coniglio, 17 Finn Callaghan

Interchange -20 James Peatling, 7 Lachie Ash, 31 Toby McMullin, 25 Lachlan Keeffe, 13 Isaac Cumming

Emergencies - 26, Jake Riccardi, 18 Conor Stone, 19 Nick Haynes
There's a lot of focus on Toby Bedford not playing, but he's played in all four derbies since joining us, for one narrow win and three solid losses. He wasn't the match-winner or the reason we lost in any of those games.

We need to be different this time. Something has to change, such as James Peatling playing the sort of game he played against the Lions. Maybe Isaac Cumming and Toby McMullin can do something unexpected.

There's a lot of focus on Toby Bedford not playing, but he's played in all four derbies since joining us, for one narrow win and three solid losses. He wasn't the match-winner or the reason we lost in any of those games.

We need to be different this time. Something has to change, such as James Peatling playing the sort of game he played against the Lions. Maybe Isaac Cumming and Toby McMullin can do something unexpected.
XOH playing negating role on the Lizard.

The more I think about this game the more I think they will be too strong for us.
Their midfield are all in their prime and all in good form across the season… Heeney, Warner, Rowbottom, Gulden… all had 4+ seasons in the system and all are threatening in different ways.
Compare that with us… Kelly working his way back from injury, Cogs playing with a shoulder that needs surgery, Callaghan didn’t train this week, Peatling playing his first year in the midfield, Briggs needs surgery. And Bedford not playing.
Green the only one who you could say is in consistent form (in back half of season imo).

Our midfield is totally up against it… and this is a midfield that has struggled throughout the year to break-even with lesser midfields.

The more I think about this game the more I think they will be too strong for us.
Their midfield are all in their prime and all in good form across the season… Heeney, Warner, Rowbottom, Gulden… all had 4+ seasons in the system and all are threatening in different ways.
Compare that with us… Kelly working his way back from injury, Cogs playing with a shoulder that needs surgery, Callaghan didn’t train this week, Peatling playing his first year in the midfield, Briggs needs surgery. And Bedford not playing.
Green the only one who you could say is in consistent form (in back half of season imo).

Our midfield is totally up against it… and this is a midfield that has struggled throughout the year to break-even with lesser midfields.
Their midfield is definitely better than ours, but our defenders and forwards are both better than theirs. Their forwards are only made to look decent due to the delivery and support from the midfield.

If we are able to break even in the midfield we'll win, due to our our bookends being superior. Comversely, if their midfield is able to choke off our transition through the middle of the ground we'll lose. As it doesn't matter if our forwards and defenders are better if we can't transition from one to the other. This is what has happened in the last 2 games between us.

Their midfield is definitely better than ours, but our defenders and forwards are both better than theirs. Their forwards are only made to look decent due to the delivery and support from the midfield.

If we are able to break even in the midfield we'll win, due to our our bookends being superior. Comversely, if their midfield is able to choke off our transition through the middle of the ground we'll lose. As it doesn't matter if our forwards and defenders are better if we can't transition from one to the other. This is what has happened in the last 2 games between us.
We'll definitely need the best from everyone to give the Swans a scare.
Let's see what Kingers can get out of them.

Need big contributions from the support mids. Ward, McMullin, Daniels, Darcy, Toby, Cumming and XO can all contribute if required at times.
Wouldn’t surprise to see Whitfield rotate through if getting a strong tag at half back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes our bookends are better but I think midfield counts the most in finals. The ball spends more time on the ground than regular season games… less contested marks.
Something that I’m trying to remember is how the swans lost the first final to us in 2016 but then made their way to the gf, and were hard done by in that match imo.
It may not be the worst thing, losing this match.
I think we might get Bedford back next week, and it might be the touch up we need to win the following 3 matches. Plus I’d rather play the Cats in a prelim than the Hawks.

Also, they lock down on Whitfield. We don’t do anything about their two best metres gained players… Gulden and Lizard… could get ugly.

Tobey Bedford is a big loss so Daniels and Xman needs to step up.

I like the selection. Keefe on the bench to support Briggs against arguably the best ruckman is a sensible choice.

We are the underdogs so let's go out there without the pressure!

Go Giants!

We really need to change up our centre bounce rotations. I’d have Binga and Toby going through there much more often than usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back