Autopsy 2024 1st Qualifying Final - Sydney Swans v GWS Giants, Sat 7 September, 3.20 pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching Brisbane having a very easy time against Carlton (odd for them to decide to tank in a final...).

Total contrast to Giants v Swans.

Next week is going to be tough, especially through the midfield as the Lions have a lot of run. They will be a lot fresher.

In: Bedford
Out: Coniglio (get that surgery done now - at the moment he's ineffective)

Toby Greene to start and play most game time as a mid.

Keeffe as FF and to not leave Andrews' side.

Also tempted to drop Ash for Aleer he was that bad today.

Kingsley can't be conservative. No second chance next weekend. Roll the dice. Ran out of cliches....
Would you keep Keefe over Riccardi.

Watching Brisbane having a very easy time against Carlton (odd for them to decide to tank in a final...).

Total contrast to Giants v Swans.

Next week is going to be tough, especially through the midfield as the Lions have a lot of run. They will be a lot fresher.

In: Bedford
Out: Coniglio (get that surgery done now - at the moment he's ineffective)

Toby Greene to start and play most game time as a mid.

Keeffe as FF and to not leave Andrews' side.

Also tempted to drop Ash for Aleer he was that bad today.

Kingsley can't be conservative. No second chance next weekend. Roll the dice. Ran out of cliches....
Agree with all bar the Ash bit, his presence takes the heat off Lachie, and it was not a real reflection of his talent. With Isaac back in the side though I guess Ash for Aleer will at least be discussed at match commitee

Last edited:

Would you keep Keefe over Riccardi.

I was contemplating that change.

Keeffe's miss from in front was a coach killer and he also missed one from the boundary.

But I then look at the other work he did - the 2 marks prior to the misses, the goal, the run down the boundary line, 12 hitouts, 10 disposals and a tackle.

Riccardi is the better kick, but I don't think he puts in enough effort consistently. If it's not going his way, he often goes the sulk and goes missing. Keeffe, though probably less talented has the better attitude.

Add to that Cadman's performance - only 7 disposals but 3 goals and 7 tackles. If he didn't have the ball, he was working hard to defend. Excellent - exactly what's needed and something I don't recall Riccardi doing a lot of.

And as has been mentioned by others, Cadman and Riccardi in the same side might not be ideal.

Sorry for the long-winded answer, but I was (and still am) to-ing and fro-ing about making the change.

My current thinking is that overall, Riccardi won't improve the side.

Agree with all bar the Ash bit, his presence takes the heat off Lachie, and it was not a real reflection of his talent. With Isaac back in the side though I guess Ash for Aleer will at least be discussed at match commitee
I thought Ash was very good overall, and I’m a bit of a critic of his. Again, some players had poor moments, him included, but I really liked his game overall.

Agree with all bar the Ash bit, his presence takes the heat off Lachie, and it was not a real reflection of his talent.
I'm with you on that but he had such a stinker. That no look over the shoulder inbound handball that directly led to a Swans goal was what did it for me.

Mind you, there's a number of underperforming players who go under the radar far too much for my liking.

Greene and Coniglio have already been mentioned.

Come on down Josh Kelly. Very ineffective tonight. You can have all the stats but if they aren't helping the team, what's the use?

Last edited:
The game result was one thing.
But on the walk back to Central station we came across 2 groups of drunken Swans "supporters" who were talking sh*t to GWS supporters.
Sure their team won, but that trash is 100% loser behaviour.
Some Swans "supporters" also had some choice words to say to me as I was leaving the game as well. Similar to my experience with Tiger's supporters after 2017 prelim which was the least enjoyable post match I've experienced.

Last edited:
Here’s Papley delivering an off the ball swinging elbow to Toby’s jaw while our Captain is lying on his back in a vulnerable position.

Is this illegal in AFL?

Then Papley must be put on report by the MRO and sent to the Tribunal.

Or is this just part of the official Toby tax?View attachment 2104166

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I thought it was a punch from when I watched the replays. It's hard to tell because of so much going on but if that was Toby expect that to be plastered in slowmo everywhere.

Also, after quarter time I noticed that they put out a clip of this gang up and it was titled something like "fight breaks out with Toby in it all" despite Papley instigating everything and doing worse things.

Some Swans "supporters" also had some choice words to say to me as I was leaving the game as well. Similar to my experience with Tiger's supporters after 2017 prelim which was the least enjoyable post match I've experienced.
“Things that didn’t happen”.

In all seriousness, the Giants first 3/4 was the best football I’ve seen from any team this year.
Sydney were good but that Giants footy was slick.

Lots of positives.
We didn’t defend the middle of the ground well in the final quarter.
Idun should have gone the big spoil instead of marking in the last term… Papley got the soft drop.
Midfield got torched a bit in the last too.

“Things that didn’t happen”.
You don't believe a bunch of supporters that have been drinking all day in Surry Hills would have a go at opposition supporters? I think you'd be hard pressed to find a club that doesn't have that element - I think it's suppressed at GWS mainly because there's afternoon games and limited pre drinking options rather than our inherent betterness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My husband and I are a little older so maybe we don't get targeted as much by oppo supporters. I've been to all the finals (bar the ones in Adelaide) never had any trouble or smart arse comments except for swans matches. I don't like going to matches there because of the swans fans - I've been told to get f****d, etc etc. Rude disrespectful - sitting in the cheersquad yesterday I could hear from the noise from across the stadium a lot of them yacking through the welcome to Country. I have to go to a breakfast thing now with a swans fan....pray for me.

Fox’s rating of individual players- pretty much consistent with the assessment by most on this thread. Coniglio, Toby and Ash were big name players that just did not show what they are capable of. The unforced errors and goal inaccuracies cost us (in addition of course to Swans resilience and individual brilliances) in such a very close game. Disappointing but at least we have another game to recover

You don't believe a bunch of supporters that have been drinking all day in Surry Hills would have a go at opposition supporters? I think you'd be hard pressed to find a club that doesn't have that element - I think it's suppressed at GWS mainly because there's afternoon games and limited pre drinking options rather than our inherent betterness.
Yeah look you’re prob right obviously it’s possible. I’ve never seen Swans supporters get like that in my scores of years going to games.

Yeah look you’re prob right obviously it’s possible. I’ve never seen Swans supporters get like that in my scores of years going to games.
I've had one lot go at me when I was at a Lions v Swans game at ANZ but the venue tells you how long ago that was. :D

Here’s Papley delivering an off the ball swinging elbow to Toby’s jaw while our Captain is lying on his back in a vulnerable position.

Is this illegal in AFL?

Then Papley must be put on report by the MRO and sent to the Tribunal.

Or is this just part of the official Toby tax?View attachment 2104166

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I can't wait to see the look on that Papley germs face along with their fair weather supporters when the Swans lose their 4th Grand Final straight if they they get there.
Better still will be if GWS are the team to do it after Green takes the germ out.

RE crowds in my time I generally found Swans fans ok but the rivalry has become more spicy and I think J Gaynor has made things more adversarial and that’s great. Some people are flogs and become brave in victory!

RE Ash, look he’s got a lot of good points but he’s not very composed and is always good for a clanger. Unfortunately yesterday was too tight and his errors cost. I know it sounds stupid but Lachie should spend the off season really working on the mental side of his game and his concentration and awareness.

I think the coach was worried we were too young going into a game like yesterday and took the conservative route which is fair enough.

I would like to see Thomas back in next week, he’s played great all year and deserves a taste of finals. I think either him or McMullin as the sub is a better option than X as impact players.

It’s a shame Brown lost form as again he could be a difference maker. Cogs really should be dropped on his performance as he’s basically muted but coach has to strike the balance of experience with exuberance and Lions are a talented team.

Will be a fascinating team selection!

Last edited:
Hawthorn will beat them in the Preliminary. We will meet the Hawks in the GF. 2016 in reverse
One week at a time but I'd rather GWS v Sydney in GF. Most of the neutrals would jump on the young Hawks fairytale bandwagon, I reckon the neutrals would jump on the GWS bandwagon v Swans. It would be worth a few goals.

Shows the power of a home crowd though. They got them across the line
Insane levels of support for them in the last quarter.

That was the hardest crowd we'll play against in the finals. Just a pity we couldn't hold on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 1st Qualifying Final - Sydney Swans v GWS Giants, Sat 7 September, 3.20 pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back