Autopsy 2024 1st Qualifying Final - Sydney Swans v GWS Giants, Sat 7 September, 3.20 pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Sat not too far from the Giants cheer squad.

Great banter all game. Even the umpiring - GWS fans laughing at some of the frees in front whilst Swans fans faces turned purple.

And the on field scuffles, both sets of fans mockingly cheering fight fight fight.

One poor dude in the crowd got evicted (GWS fan), no one knew why but again both sets of fans up standing and cheering him out.

I also saw Swans fans and Giants fans hug each other at the end of the match - stoked that they’d witnessed a classic. Giants fans were great sports.

Lots of well wishes to meet again in the grand final.

Disappointing to hear some fans’ behaviour- true footy fans wouldn’t behave like this.

2 best teams in it by a fair stretch.

If I can get a ticket, might go out and watch you hopefully put the Lions away.

I guess we won on expected score, but we have won some games this year due to superior goal kicking accuracy ( or it has given us a margin to dishearten the opposition like Brisbane in Canberra), also the recent Brisbane game of course.
Probably the first one we've lost this year for that reason.
Perhaps having more players able to go through midfield meant swans where fresher.
Brisbane doesn't have as good a modfield as Sydney, the reality is that maybe we just don't match up as well vs swans as we do other teams.

Last edited:
Yeah look you’re prob right obviously it’s possible. I’ve never seen Swans supporters get like that in my scores of years going to games.
As someone who was never a footy fan it was the most obvious thing I've experienced.

I walked in a neutral to the derby, walked out a Giant.

It was why I landed with the Giants. It was a significant reason why I couldn't and still can't warm to the club or fanbase.

There's a portion of the fanbase that dehumanises the Giants then bullies us because they feel emboldened by numbers.

Soon as you notice it, you can't unnotice it.

In saying that, some Swans fans are lovely but there's a portion that are not.

Last edited:

One week at a time but I'd rather GWS v Sydney in GF. Most of the neutrals would jump on the young Hawks fairytale bandwagon, I reckon the neutrals would jump on the GWS bandwagon v Swans. It would be worth a few goals.

Underrated comment about the more balanced supporter mix at the G if we make it to a GF vs South.

Absolutely no doubt that we are the very last team South want to play in a GF - if, and I emphasise if, they make it that far.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The game was won by the swans leaders standing up late in the last quarter and the giants leaders doing the opposite which was a shame. Then you had a number of errors late, including obviously Ash who regularly makes a lot of stupid decisions.

Overall though, it was very similar to watching the swans v pies game a few weeks ago. The old saying of don't get beaten by what you know. I think in last quarters against the swans (they are typically coming from behind), their stars get on a run to due to the tiring legs of the opposition. I'd go a lock down on their 3 stars if you're in the lead in the last quarter, as I don't think the team is as strong as the giants across the rest of the 23.

This got me thinking, for hopefully next time in the grand final, I'd have a 'go to' lock down of:

• Bedford to Warner
  • Peatling to Gulden

And the interesting one is, who do you match up on heeney who is hard to tag because he goes from mid to then be a dangerous forward. For mine the only guy that has the endurance (plays wing often) and defensive capabilities to do both, is Cumming.

I honestly feel if you can lock those 3 down (or at least don't let them run around doing as they please) in the last quarter you win against the swans, who typically don't come good till late in games. Papley is the other concern, but he naturally has a match up as a forward anyway.

Overall it's about getting as far in front as possible and holding on for dear life against them, I think it's achievable 'next time', if they lock down those 3 stars.

Last edited:
Just on the crowd stuff, I have noticed in recent years since the Swans became a hot ticket and part of the Sydney pre-party Saturday night scene (not my cup of tea) that we have attracted some of the unpleasant types of sports-going boofheads that you guys are describing. People that aren’t there because they love footy, aren’t even necessarily there because they like the Swans. They just like a good-time vibe and a piss-up, and will jump on board any (usually-winning) team that can provide it for them.

When I was a teenager in the early 2000s the Swans and AFL in general was more of a subculture in Sydney and the whole thing had more of a family vibe. Kind of similar to what you guys are building now to be honest. Our crowds that are now in the upper 30,000 range were in the low-mid 20s at the most, and opposition supporters typically left games at the SCG saying they were surprised at how nice we all were.

I think the affable, footy-loving brigade are all still there, but sorry to hear that a few of you had run-ins with the boofhead bandwagoners that we’ve picked up more recently who probably started drinking at 11am and didn’t stop until well after they decided it’d be fun to have a go at you.

Well played yesterday, thought you had us. That crazy Giants supporter Mrs Zevon and I will be at your semi final next weekend, hope you barge your way through to the prelim and we can have another crack at each other in the granny.

Just on the crowd stuff, I have noticed in recent years since the Swans became a hot ticket and part of the Sydney pre-party Saturday night scene (not my cup of tea) that we have attracted some of the unpleasant types of sports-going boofheads that you guys are describing. People that aren’t there because they love footy, aren’t even necessarily there because they like the Swans. They just like a good-time vibe and a piss-up, and will jump on board any (usually-winning) team that can provide it for them.

My experience is it's about 1/3 who really despise us and want to go back to being a one club city, 1/3 who are lovely footy fans and 1/3 that are completely apathetic.

Just depends who you run into on the day, I guess.

I love footy loving fans across the board. Can have the best time with those, win or lose :D

That crazy Giants supporter Mrs Zevon and I will be at your semi final next weekend, hope you barge your way through to the prelim and we can have another crack at each other in the granny.
We'll be working hard to give Mrs. Zevon a much better match-day experience this Saturday. Please pass on our regards.

When I was a teenager in the early 2000s the Swans and AFL in general was more of a subculture in Sydney and the whole thing had more of a family vibe. Kind of similar to what you guys are building now to be honest. Our crowds that are now in the upper 30,000 range were in the low-mid 20s at the most, and opposition supporters typically left games at the SCG saying they were surprised at how nice we all were.

I think the affable, footy-loving brigade are all still there, but sorry to hear that a few of you had run-ins with the boofhead bandwagoners that we’ve picked up more recently who probably started drinking at 11am and didn’t stop until well after they decided it’d be fun to have a go at you.

Well played yesterday, thought you had us. That crazy Giants supporter Mrs Zevon and I will be at your semi final next weekend, hope you barge your way through to the prelim and we can have another crack at each other in the granny.

Interesting you say this, there were a couple of articles on the types of fan the swans are now getting in the daily telegraph yesterday. It speaks exactly to what you're saying and some of the quotes from these fans tells you it's a trendy social gathering for a number of young 'good looking' people, as one of the fans says 😅.

Screenshot_20240908-150050_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only problem Is his kicking for goal.
I want him playing forward and doing everything to nullify Andrews' impact!

Keeping Andrews busy is as important as tagging a midfielder.

But you're right - that kicking!

Then again, if his kicking was better, he'd probably be a regular starter.

Riccardi's kicking with Keeffe's attitude and work ethic.... It's an interesting conundrum for that spot in the team.

Keefe is a great match up for Andrews like others have said, I like him this week, but I'd probably go Riccardi the following week at the mcg, as I think speed will be what wins that game. Not saying Riccardi is quick, but Keefe might be too cumbersome to have as much impact on the mcg, particularly if there isn't a good match up for him.

I personally like brown in finals, because he's dead eye and plays tall, but is quick enough to pressure. Again though he is probably better on the bigger mcg, despite maybe being low on confidence at the moment.

AFL investigates McCartney-Papley Battle of the Bridge bump

The AFL will speak to Giants football manager Jason McCartney and Sydney small forward Tom Papley after they made contact with each other as the teams left the ground at half-time in a fiery qualifying final at the SCG.

McCartney had approached Giants player Toby McCullin and looked to be telling the players to stay separated before he step forward and made contact with Papley. The pair exchanged words but kept walking towards the rooms and it did not escalate.

aaba04d6328f9e67ae5bc02596d44910606e299c

It was a subplot in a classic match that saw tempers fray in several melees in the first half, with Papley agitating his Giants’ opponents at every opportunity before he played a key role in sparking the Swans to overcome a 21-point deficit at the final break to win by a goal.

Officials are encouraged to stay out of the fray, with Essendon runner Travis Cloke becoming involved in an early season melee at the SCG which prompted the AFL to send all clubs a letter to remind them of runner responsibilities.

Both protagonists in Saturday’s incident are highly regarded at their clubs, with McCartney a respected football manager.
However, he was fined $20,000 in 2021 when he gave umpires some feedback at half-time in a match at Manuka Oval that the Giants lost by 39 points.

Papley is known as one of the game’s best agitators and classiest small forwards.
The AFL are not expected to reach an outcome on Sunday but will speak to the key protagonists.

Sydney had no comment and the Giants were contacted.

Yeah.

I particularly feel a sense of pride knowing I live in the same area.

If I could have my time again, would've loved to have played footy in my younger days.
You're always welcome to come on down and cheer on a Westbrook/Pennant Hills/NW Lightning team on a Sunday, might not be the most skillful games but they all give their all and it just feels a purer watch (100% admitting my bias).

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 1st Qualifying Final - Sydney Swans v GWS Giants, Sat 7 September, 3.20 pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back