Autopsy 2024 1st Qualifying Final - Sydney Swans v GWS Giants, Sat 7 September, 3.20 pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

You're always welcome to come on down and cheer on a Westbrook/Pennant Hills/NW Lightning team on a Sunday, might not be the most skillful games but they all give their all and it just feels a purer watch (100% admitting my bias).
Thanks dlanod, will consider it.

I don't mind, I love watching footy. Thoroughly enjoy it so am sure will enjoy it all the same.

Normally wouldn't have anyone to go with so don't want to be a loner, lol.

AFL investigates McCartney-Papley Battle of the Bridge bump

The AFL will speak to Giants football manager Jason McCartney and Sydney small forward Tom Papley after they made contact with each other as the teams left the ground at half-time in a fiery qualifying final at the SCG.

McCartney had approached Giants player Toby McCullin and looked to be telling the players to stay separated before he step forward and made contact with Papley. The pair exchanged words but kept walking towards the rooms and it did not escalate.

aaba04d6328f9e67ae5bc02596d44910606e299c

It was a subplot in a classic match that saw tempers fray in several melees in the first half, with Papley agitating his Giants’ opponents at every opportunity before he played a key role in sparking the Swans to overcome a 21-point deficit at the final break to win by a goal.

Officials are encouraged to stay out of the fray, with Essendon runner Travis Cloke becoming involved in an early season melee at the SCG which prompted the AFL to send all clubs a letter to remind them of runner responsibilities.

Both protagonists in Saturday’s incident are highly regarded at their clubs, with McCartney a respected football manager.
However, he was fined $20,000 in 2021 when he gave umpires some feedback at half-time in a match at Manuka Oval that the Giants lost by 39 points.

Papley is known as one of the game’s best agitators and classiest small forwards.
The AFL are not expected to reach an outcome on Sunday but will speak to the key protagonists.

Sydney had no comment and the Giants were contacted.
Laura Kane and Michael Christian have reviewed this incident and have decided to suspend Jessie Hogan, Tom Green and Sam Taylor 😉

MRO review is in, Toby Greene and Sydney player Tom Papley have been fined for a melee on the quarter-time siren.

Riccardi's kicking with Keeffe's attitude and work ethic.... It's an interesting conundrum for that spot in the team.
I wonder what the other players would want.
It would be incredible for Cogs to say he isn't right and not play, but I don't claim that I would not want to play in his shoes.
If a 3 on the field at a time forward line of Riccardi, Cadman, Hogan works then maybe play Riccardi and Keefe, Toby more in midfield.

AFL investigates McCartney-Papley Battle of the Bridge bump

The AFL will speak to Giants football manager Jason McCartney and Sydney small forward Tom Papley after they made contact with each other as the teams left the ground at half-time in a fiery qualifying final at the SCG.

McCartney had approached Giants player Toby McCullin and looked to be telling the players to stay separated before he step forward and made contact with Papley. The pair exchanged words but kept walking towards the rooms and it did not escalate.

aaba04d6328f9e67ae5bc02596d44910606e299c

It was a subplot in a classic match that saw tempers fray in several melees in the first half, with Papley agitating his Giants’ opponents at every opportunity before he played a key role in sparking the Swans to overcome a 21-point deficit at the final break to win by a goal.

Officials are encouraged to stay out of the fray, with Essendon runner Travis Cloke becoming involved in an early season melee at the SCG which prompted the AFL to send all clubs a letter to remind them of runner responsibilities.

Both protagonists in Saturday’s incident are highly regarded at their clubs, with McCartney a respected football manager.
However, he was fined $20,000 in 2021 when he gave umpires some feedback at half-time in a match at Manuka Oval that the Giants lost by 39 points.

Papley is known as one of the game’s best agitators and classiest small forwards.
The AFL are not expected to reach an outcome on Sunday but will speak to the key protagonists.

Sydney had no comment and the Giants were contacted.

McCartney’s personal character is simply beyond question, particularly given the Bali bombing tragedy, his heroic actions on that tragic day and his horrific injuries.

Papley merely confirming what the AFL world already knows about this figuratively little man.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

MRO review is in, Toby Greene and Sydney player Tom Papley have been fined for a melee on the quarter-time siren.

Papley starts off the ball melee.

Papley shoulder charges one of the most universally respected figures in the game in McCartney.

If only we could identify a very common denominator that is bringing the game into disrepute.

Cue VFL HQ closing their eyes in unison and insisting they can’t see a problem.

Despite the result, we played fantastic.
We didn't put it on the scoreboard in the first quarter and that cost us.
The Swans had a day when they had a stack of low percentage plays come off. The most memorable the leveller from Heeney..
We have to.gp the long way round but I think we can do it.

Agree with all bar the Ash bit, his presence takes the heat off Lachie, and it was not a real reflection of his talent. With Isaac back in the side though I guess Ash for Aleer will at least be discussed at match commitee
No it won't.
There is no chance Ash misses.
A lot of our attack goes through him, we ask him to take the game on and ask him to take lots of difficult options, he is going to make mistakes doing it.

Yeah look you’re prob right obviously it’s possible. I’ve never seen Swans supporters get like that in my scores of years going to games.
That's interesting.
I reckon the only club that I cop over the top stuff is from the Swans.
Despite their reputation and the fact they beat us by a million in the GF, the tigers fans were actually really good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McCartney’s personal character is simply beyond question, particularly given the Bali bombing tragedy, his heroic actions on that tragic day and his horrific injuries.

Papley merely confirming what the AFL world already knows about this figuratively little man.

I think what McCartney did in that day and went through showed great character etc, it doesn't mean he should have a free pass to do as he wants 20 years later.

Last edited:
Hi all, pardon the intrusion but I just wanted to note that I thought GWS played a phenomenal game - and Swans were exceptionally lucky to come away with a win. Your team defence and backline in particular were incredible to watch live. Swans had no idea what to do about it until the game opened up in the last.

Your supporters at the ground were also great. There were more than I was expecting being a Swans home game and you guys made a lot of noise. At least where I was sitting, there was great camaraderie between opposing fans. I think we are building a great rivalry built on high quality tough football (what other arch rivals have met 4 times in finals in last 10 off years?).

Sure there is a bit of niggle and passion during the games, but you want that in a rivalry and feel like it is mostly left out on the field.

I’m hoping this can become a bit like the Eagles-Swans rivals of 05/06 and we can meet again in the GF. Although unlike that rivalry I will prefer that the team that wins the qualifying final goes on to win the GF!

And if Swans don’t make the GF and GWS does, I’ll be 100% behind your boys. GWS is without doubt my second team.

Kudos to your team. They were brilliant for most of the game. It can be a cruel game.
What a player and human being is Jack Buckley. Having the awareness, skill and decency to save Heeney from almost certain serious injury is something very special.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

That's interesting.
I reckon the only club that I cop over the top stuff is from the Swans.
Despite their reputation and the fact they beat us by a million in the GF, the tigers fans were actually really good.
It's easy to be magnanimous after a flogging. It's the close games where emotions are high that see more of these reactions. I think most had a similar story about the Dogs fans after 2016 for example (much more obnoxious than anything I've seen from Swans fans, probably because they viewed themselves as God's gift to Victorian football with the amount of smoke blown up their arse in that finals run).

Just watched Kingers presser.
Love this bloke.

Can tell he isn’t happy at all with how we threw that away, and he definitely thinks it was the star older players who dropped the ball.

Today won’t be fun but the boys will be better for it this weekend.

Last edited:
I think what McCartney did in that day and went through showed great character etc, it doesn't mean he should have a free pass to do as he wants 20 years later.
He didn’t do anything but try and break it up. Papley the pelican was the cause and the action.

Those at the ground, what are we thinking about Cogs? Heard Kingy on SEN say he was basically unplayable at centre bounce and that a decision has to be made.

Hate it but I think he makes way for Bedford. He is a great player who needs an op on the shoulder. Come back better than ever next year
Could be right.

I'm betting that XO comes out for Bedford and one of Cogs or Mcmullin will be the sub.

McMullin's probably more likely, but I think there's a very strong argument for Cogs. Just isn't looking right at all.

As others have said, so disappointing to have done all the hard work and be the better team for 3 qtrs, only to try and shut up shop too early. Some lessons are only learned the hard way.

It's looking even more costly now. Swans have landed on the easy side of the draw with Port and Hawks both having injury issues. The Brisbane - Geelong path looking much tougher

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2024 1st Qualifying Final - Sydney Swans v GWS Giants, Sat 7 September, 3.20 pm @ SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back