2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't see how we can fit all these guys in?. Rosas staying. Davies staying. Luko?? Guessing Casboult now gone. If Himmelberg and Dusty are in's on top of Noble Rioli and Lombard where does that leave us for list spots?

Don't see how we can fit all these guys in?. Rosas staying. Davies staying. Luko?? Guessing Casboult now gone. If Himmelberg and Dusty are in's on top of Noble Rioli and Lombard where does that leave us for list spots?
Pretty easy, IMO.

We had 37 players on the senior list. Minus Ellis, Day, Macpherson, Oea (not official from the club). That's 5 spots available on senior list right now.

As for rookie cat A list, one spot for Casboult (if we keep him). So 3 cat A spots available.

Let's say we get Rioli, Noble, Himmelberg, Dusty, draft Lombard and upgrade Clohesy and Uwland. That's 7 senior spots needed.

If Luko leaves (looks like) that's only on spot needed. C Graham could leave if he can find a club interested. Or even Farrar (unlikely IMO).

Another option, we could ask e.g., Sexton, Holman, Swallow, Lemmens (offered 1 year contract apparently) to move to rookie list.

Finally, we could let go Sexton, Holman (unlikely IMO).

Listed as a forward but can play defense.

He's a replacement for Sam Day/Levi Casboult

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app
He’s not played defence. Pinched hit in the ruck as well, not sure it’s a position we need? Wants more opportunity, don’t think he gets it with us

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends I suppose, where do they see Mac playing full time?

If it is back, then they still need a 2nd ruck because you don't want to unsettle the backline putting Mac in the ruck. Himmelberg is a safe but uninspiring choice while Read develops, he probably needs another year of size putting on and Himmelberg is an experienced player, like Day and Levi, but younger.

We saw they tried Moyle and Witts together earlier this year and it didn't seem to work, worth trying out I suppose. Won't play 23 games but may be a horses for courses kind of selection.

If Mac plays forward, then I am unsure on his senior game opportunities.

Funny. Wake up Luko and Rosas, haha.

‘Mad as hell’: Inside Dimma’s ‘warpath’ approach amid fascinating Dusty call​

Damien Hardwick isn’t stuffing around up north.

Not that he ever has, but Hardwick is taking an even more ruthless approach with list management this off-season as the Suns coach continues to mould his side ahead of his second season in charge in 2025.

Not only does that involve personnel, clearly, but the state of that personnel.

It’s a cutthroat ‘shape up or ship out’ approach — an approach the Suns are fully behind the three-time premiership boss with in their bid to play finals for the first time in club history.

“Hardwick is mad as hell and not going to take it anymore, he’s been on the warpath in his exit interviews. I think Gold Coast loves it,” Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph explained on Fox Footy’s On the Couch.

“Players including Malcolm Rosas basically got told: ‘You come back in elite shape, or go and play with someone else’. “Malcolm thought: ‘OK, I’ll go and play with someone else’. Found some suitors, then Gold Coast said: ‘No, you’re playing with us again’. It was a shot across the bows.

“I think some player managers have been a little bit disgruntled to ask if Gold Coast knows what the left hand is doing from the right.

“But I’ve spoken to Gold Coast and they are backing ‘Dimma’ (Hardwick) to the hill: ‘It’s why we got him here, we want to spark up this place. We’ve missed finals 14 years in a row. Jack Lukosius, you’re on $1 million, that’s big boy, key forward money. You’re not playing like that, you’re going to get traded’.

Last edited:
VFL probably, can only be a depth player surely.
Well, at the moment (especially if Luko does go) our next man up is Ethan Read.

Maybe we don’t want to be relying on two second year players in Walter and Read to carry the load.

He gives security at both ends. Costs nothing but salary as an UFA, and could be a good pick up because of that.

Could also sit in the VFL for several years…

Funny. Wake up Luko and Rosas, haha.

‘Mad as hell’: Inside Dimma’s ‘warpath’ approach amid fascinating Dusty call​

Damien Hardwick isn’t stuffing around up north.

Not that he ever has, but Hardwick is taking an even more ruthless approach with list management this off-season as the Suns coach continues to mould his side ahead of his second season in charge in 2025.

Not only does that involve personnel, clearly, but the state of that personnel.

It’s a cutthroat ‘shape up or ship out’ approach — an approach the Suns are fully behind the three-time premiership boss with in their bid to play finals for the first time in club history.

“Hardwick is mad as hell and not going to take it anymore, he’s been on the warpath in his exit interviews. I think Gold Coast loves it,” Herald Sun journalist Jon Ralph explained on Fox Footy’s On the Couch.

“Players including Malcolm Rosas basically got told: ‘You come back in elite shape, or go and play with someone else’. “Malcolm thought: ‘OK, I’ll go and play with someone else’. Found some suitors, then Gold Coast said: ‘No, you’re playing with us again’. It was a shot across the bows.

“I think some player managers have been a little bit disgruntled to ask if Gold Coast knows what the left hand is doing from the right.

“But I’ve spoken to Gold Coast and they are backing ‘Dimma’ (Hardwick) to the hill: ‘It’s why we got him here, we want to spark up this place. We’ve missed finals 14 years in a row. Jack Lukosius, you’re on $1 million, that’s big boy, key forward money. You’re not playing like that, you’re going to get traded’.

The Rosas story sounds a bit contrived, I doubt Dimma says that and then took it back for Rosas to stay, it ruins any message from the initial chewing out

Bucks talking sense, every other club is taking dusty at 300k. I wonder how many games he would be expected to play for that coin, from my cheap seat, i wouldnt think he's flying to tassie, wa or sa. Could be an eastern seaboard contract. Less money for less games maybe.

Himmelberg hasn't shown much. His contract will be on potential but i don't hate it. Hopefully its a huge growth year for Walter and Read but i think Himmelberg at the very least starts before these 2.. until he meanders about for the first month and we decide to play the kids instead.

Ballard is part of that off field mates group. Keep everyone happy. Interesting he started well in the BnF. They were quite happy with his year especially with how many different type of matchups he was made to play on. Just hopefully stops with the once a week howler considering the small margins in the comp

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back