2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ll take any deal for #13 that doesn’t involve us having to gamble on the other team getting worse to break even. If that team finishes top 4, we are looking at a pick of 20+, and the future 1st needs to be valued as such in any trade. #13 is the valuable asset here , it needs to be overs.

I know very early still. I think Collingwood will offer more. They want Houston and are in win now mode and feel we will get a F2 pick as well and we might need to send a F3 back
This exactly !

Collingwood think for some reason we need them to move pick 13
They are wrong.
Collingwood will lose out Houston to the Blues unless they sweeten the deal.
Otherwise Collingwood end up caught with there pants down.

This exactly !

Collingwood think for some reason we need them to move pick 13
They are wrong.
Collingwood will lose out Houston to the Blues unless they sweeten the deal.
Otherwise Collingwood end up caught with there pants down.
"Worst" case scenario here is we deal with someone else and they get pissy about trading Noble. So he stays there for another year, no great loss imo with Rioli arriving in the same position.

For people like me that need images to understand things.

View attachment 2135322
As people have said, a current first round pick is worth more than a future. It is a know quantity, and clubs can plan for the player they want right now (or use it to trade, right now).

On top of that, the club gets the boost in talent immediately, rather than putting it off a whole year.

Long and short of it is that Suns need to play hardball on all picks that other clubs need to get their own deals done. Seems like we are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SUN EYES LIST LIFELINE

GOLD Coast has delisted Hewago Oea, but the door is open for ‘Ace’ to remain at the Suns in 2025.

The 22-year-old has been invited to train with Damien Hardwick’s squad over the pre-season supplemental selection period in a bid to land another chance.

Oea made history in 2022 when he became the first player from Papua New Guinea to play a senior game in the AFL when he faced Collingwood in round 16.
After playing five games in 2022, Oea added eight more appearances in 2023 but didn't feature under Hardwick this year.

Oea was signed by the Suns Academy in 2018 on an international scholarship and was recruited to the AFL program two years later as a Category B Rookie.

Gold Coast has announced sevens delistings this off-season – Sam Day, Darcy Macpherson, James Tsitas, Jack Mahony, Sandy Brock, Oskar Faulkhead and Will Rowlands – after Brandon Ellis retired in August and Levi Casboult called time this week, following the signing of Elliott Himmelberg as a free agent.

Common, Magpies. I know it's only Tue but don't waste our time and give us your best offer when ready. Do you want Houston or not? Is Leppitsch worse than Cameron? Started with 13 + 23 + 29, now 13 + 23.
I bet next offer is just 13 for F1 + Noble.

THE fight for Dan Houston is delicately poised, with Collingwood’s pole position in negotiations with Gold Coast offset by the fact they aren’t presenting the best offer.

The Pies are in a battle with Carlton – and to a lesser extent North Melbourne – in the race to satisfy Port Adelaide for Houston.

The Collingwood and Carlton desire to land the dual All-Australian half-back has led them to Gold Coast and the Suns’ pick 13 – a selection that’s become central to securing Houston.

Houston’s preference is to play for the Blues where he has an old working relationship with senior coach Michael Voss and a personal relationship with forward Jack Silvagni. But he is also willing to play for Collingwood.

Gold Coast is initially dealing with the Pies given John Noble wants to join the Suns on a four-year deal worth less than $600,000 a season.

However, the two clubs have hit an early snag. Sources have confirmed Collingwood have offered Noble and its future first round pick to Gold Coast in exchange for picks 13 and 23 from the Suns.

It’s understood the Suns are not keen to do that deal.

The Blues, while not officially a part of negotiations as things stand, have made it clear they are prepared to give both their future first and future second round picks to Gold Coast for pick 13.

Comparatively speaking, the Suns would be leaving behind a future second round pick (from Carlton) and handing over pick 23 (in a deal with Collingwood) if they were to accept the Collingwood offer over the Carlton offer.

The Power, meanwhile, have also stated they are prepared to play hard ball on any Houston exchange given the defender has three years remaining on his contract.

The 27-year-old wants to return to Victoria, but has not officially nominated a club.

“We’re open to doing a deal on Dan, but ultimately it has to be the right deal for the club,” Power football boss Chris Davies said yesterday. “I’m sure Dan understands in all of this that whichever club is interested in his services has to be able to also satisfy port Adelaide.

“That’s the primary objective. I’m not too fussed on where he wants to go; ultimately, we’ve got to feel like we’re benefitting from it.”

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back