2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

It definitely is. To dominate the hit outs and still lose in the middle was a problem. Rowell the only mid who seemed ready to take the game by the neck, and has felt that way for a few weeks.

But on paper our midfield should be good enough. Add in Humphrey and Graham regularly with Flanders, and maybe that’s enough. Still feel something is wrong there with our set up and how they are working together, but I’m not sure we’ll invest heavily there in the trade period unless someone literally falls in our lap. Plus Lombard is coming through. So midfield depth will be young but top end.
I say try another coach there. We are usually so reactive, basically waiting what the opposition does. Witt is also very easy to read and oppositions just shark his taps. Frustrating.

I was surprised Davies was substituted. I thought he did well. Everybody gushing about Graham (me too) but Davies had more clearances and the same disposals (with good efficiency) in 50% game time. Davies big body helps Rowell. But that's just me. He is probably gone.

It definitely is. To dominate the hit outs and still lose in the middle was a problem. Rowell the only mid who seemed ready to take the game by the neck, and has felt that way for a few weeks.

But on paper our midfield should be good enough. Add in Humphrey and Graham regularly with Flanders, and maybe that’s enough. Still feel something is wrong there with our set up and how they are working together, but I’m not sure we’ll invest heavily there in the trade period unless someone literally falls in our lap. Plus Lombard is coming through. So midfield depth will be young but top end.

Personally I think Hardwick needs to realise that Touk is a liability in the midfield at the moment, I’m not saying he can’t turn it around but he was well below his best this year.

Personally, I would be putting Humphrey or Graham in there to help Rowell with the inside mid Bodywork, I hope Davies stays as well but fully expect to hear him ask for a trade, I think in 2 years we will be looking at another gun dominating in someone else’s midfield and thinking what have we done

I say try another coach there. We are usually so reactive, basically waiting what the opposition does.

I was surprised Davies was substituted. I thought he did well. Everybody gushing about Graham (me too) but Davies had more clearances and the same disposals (with good efficiency) in 50% game time. Davies big body helps Rowell.
I actually thought pre-season that Graham would be our halfback (thought it was his draft position?) and was the mostly likely to play. I was half right, as he played the most… But I guess he put on muscle in his arms and into the mids he goes!

Davies has been alright. He does free up Rowell. Reminds me a bit of Brodie, but a bit faster. A strong, contested player.

But Graham seems to have even more speed and seems to want to take the game on. Is a nice set shot too. Really is Swallow 2.0 at the moment.

No reason we won’t try and keep Davies. Up to him though. We can’t guarantee him midfield games, but like Moyle he might stay to be the next one up.

I actually thought pre-season that Graham would be our halfback (thought it was his draft position?) and was the mostly likely to play. I was half right, as he played the most… But I guess he put on muscle in his arms and into the mids he goes!

Davies has been alright. He does free up Rowell. Reminds me a bit of Brodie, but a bit faster. A strong, contested player.

But Graham seems to have even more speed and seems to want to take the game on. Is a nice set shot too. Really is Swallow 2.0 at the moment.

No reason we won’t try and keep Davies. Up to him though. We can’t guarantee him midfield games, but like Moyle he might stay to be the next one up.
Yes, Graham set shot is great. Got to love him how he goes about it. But number of possessions is still not there. Just amazing for first year player in the middle. Hopefully, he progresses.

Miller spending time on wing, forward, back is a good idea. Sure, his 2 hand passes were intercepted but I thought he was actually very good yesterday.

No reason why Rowell can't rotate more outside middle too. He did show some acceleration yesterday. I wonder if groin bothered him again in the middle of season.

Good to see Humphrey to be involved more.

Back to practice and hopefully next year is the year.

Yes, Graham set shot is great. Got to love him how he goes about it. But number of possessions is still not there. Just amazing for first year player in the middle. Hopefully, he progresses.

Miller spending time on wing, forward, back is a good idea. Sure, his 2 hand passes were intercepted but I thought he was actually very good yesterday.

No reason why Rowell can't rotate more outside middle too. He did show some acceleration yesterday. I wonder if groin bothered him again in the middle of season.

Good to see Humphrey to be involved more.

Back to practice and hopefully next year is the year.
Humphrey has that strength in the body, like Rowell. Can stand in a tackle and has clean ground ball gets. I really hope he comes good the way we all hope.

Humphrey has that strength in the body, like Rowell. Can stand in a tackle and has clean ground ball gets. I really hope he comes good the way we all hope.
I still don't understand why Dimma did not rotate more players in the middle. Only the last 2 games he changed his mind a bit. You would want to keep players fresh. It's a long season.

I say try another coach there. We are usually so reactive, basically waiting what the opposition does. Witt is also very easy to read and oppositions just shark his taps. Frustrating.

I was surprised Davies was substituted. I thought he did well. Everybody gushing about Graham (me too) but Davies had more clearances and the same disposals (with good efficiency) in 50% game time. Davies big body helps Rowell. But that's just me. He is probably gone.
Agreed. It seems like all our mids except for the one designated to get the ball are very reactive. It felt like Touk started every bounce standing behind his opponent and got led to the ball, allowing his opponent to get an easy handball off. Just seems very easy to read what we are running in there and easy to counter.

Interestingly, Graham didn’t attend a CBA yesterday, yet still very much impacted the game with 16 touches and 2 goals. Can put that kid anywhere and he will contribute. Massive part of this team going forward.

Tbh I think Humphrey doesn't have the tank to play in the middle. Kept getting subbed out a lot even when he wasn't playing mid.

He needs a Flanders like pre-season to build fitness / drop weight so he can get to more contests
He'll probably need another couple of preseasons to get his fitness up, but you'd like to see more increased midfield time next year.

If we end up keeping our 1st round pick id be ok rolling the dice that Lombard doesn't get a bid and use the pick on a player / position of need. He's 178cm and not an elite kick - not the profile of a player that usually gets picked in the top 10.

List management team need to be given the autonomy to pick the best player for our team and not blindly just pick academy players at this stage.

If we end up keeping our 1st round pick id be ok rolling the dice that Lombard doesn't get a bid and use the pick on a player / position of need. He's 178cm and not an elite kick - not the profile of a player that usually gets picked in the top 10.

List management team need to be given the autonomy to pick the best player for our team and not blindly just pick academy players at this stage.
Literally just take what ever player is postion of need most. Who cares if it's overpaying a little. We are getting a top quality mid in for free pretty much, use our pick on a small forward or a Collins replacement

Literally just take what ever player is postion of need most. Who cares if it's overpaying a little. We are getting a top quality mid in for free pretty much, use our pick on a small forward or a Collins replacement
I'd do a deal with Richmond seperate to Rioli. Trade them 7 and then after the Lombard bid trade back in and take Berry. Need a gun small forward and draftee's can impact immediately in that position.

I'd do a deal with Richmond seperate to Rioli. Trade them 7 and then after the Lombard bid trade back in and take Berry. Need a gun small forward and draftee's can impact immediately in that position.
We should be moving heaven and earth to get Berry. Walks straight into our 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon if we could get our hands on either the Freo or Pies (9-11) draft pick that will be around the mark for Berry (Freo are in the market for Baker / Bolton).

Give up 7, 12-15 (?), 20 and a F1 for Rioli and a Tigers F1 and swap of later picks with an understanding that we can 'unswap' the Future 1sts (with some exchange of later picks to not make it look too obvious) to get that pick 10-11 in this year's draft.

We get Rioli, Berry (or similar quality around pick 10) and Lombard this year and our 2025 first round pick for Zeke.

I reckon if we could get our hands on either the Freo or Pies (9-11) draft pick that will be around the mark for Berry (Freo are in the market for Baker / Bolton).

Give up 7, 12-15 (?), 20 and a F1 for Rioli and a Tigers F1 and swap of later picks with an understanding that we can 'unswap' the Future 1sts (with some exchange of later picks to not make it look too obvious) to get that pick 10-11 in this year's draft.

We get Rioli, Berry (or similar quality around pick 10) and Lombard this year and our 2025 first round pick for Zeke.
Don't think you can directly swap picks straight back. Has to go through a third party. But that's how list managers earn their money.

We need a couple of elite ball users (who are not luko). Missing that greatly. Rioli one, need at least one more. That skill polish will help us get to finals. And definitely a small crumbing forward

I want Trainor and Smilie, if not, an elite user.. get 2 picks in before Lombard
Ideally we get a player for luko (rachele) but we've seen that movie, no player wants to come, in that situation we ought to climb as high up the draft board as possible, like the giants model who have been playing consistent finals footy

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back