2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Berry kicks goals, we need some forward class, the ball hits the ground in our forward line and we have no-one who can collect it and score, maybe Mally but he is still incredibly inconsistent. Lombard and Rogers aren't going to be that player. Berry can. We should be drafting him. Why hope some midfielders can become a small forward when you can draft one. GWS have drafted small forwards in multiple drafts and their forward line is elite. Why try forcing a mid into a different role when you can draft an actual forward?
Just because draftees spent some time in the middle in academy, it does not mean they are midfielders. IMO, way early to classify them as midfielders. For sure they will not play in the middle early. Or did you see Rogers killing it in the middle this year (like Graham)? Or do you think they will replace Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Graham, Miller in the middle? Humphrey still waiting for his chance. Next 2-3 years, learning multiple roles, 70-80% forward for both, occasional run through the middle. I go back to Paplely proto type.

Last edited:

Just because draftees spent some time in the middle in academy, it does not mean they are midfielders. IMO, way early to classify them as midfielders. For sure they will not play in the middle early. Or did you see Rogers killing it in the middle this year (like Graham)? Or do you think they will replace Rowell, Anderson, Flanders, Graham, Miller in the middle? Humphrey still waiting for his chance. Next 2-3 years, learning multiple roles, 70-80% forward for both, occasional run through the middle. I go back to Paplely proto type.
Because even if they learn the position they aren't natural forwards. Why not draft an actual small forward who is 1. Happy to play there and play to his strengths, 2. Knows the position, doesn't have to learn the position, and 3. Gives us something that we do not have.
Good teams have multiple GOOD small forwards, we have 0. Draft one for once, we haven't taken a small forward since Rankine and our forward line is dysfunctional.

Because even if they learn the position they aren't natural forwards. Why not draft an actual small forward who is 1. Happy to play there and play to his strengths, 2. Knows the position, doesn't have to learn the position, and 3. Gives us something that we do not have.
Good teams have multiple GOOD small forwards, we have 0. Draft one for once, we haven't taken a small forward since Rankine and our forward line is dysfunctional.
I would say Ben Long has turned into a good small forward this year.

I would say Ben Long has turned into a good small forward this year.
Agree he has been fantastic this year, he is definitely more of an overhead forward type then an on the deck forward. I just think one of our biggest holes if not our biggest is small forward. Someone like Berry can fill that role, just seems silly not to take him.

Agree he has been fantastic this year, he is definitely more of an overhead forward type then an on the deck forward. I just think one of our biggest holes if not our biggest is small forward. Someone like Berry can fill that role, just seems silly not to take him.
Oh yeah I still think we are a good small forward short, whether we draft or trade one in, it is still a point of need.

I guess I disagree with their early categorisation - they are not 'natural small forwards'. What does it mean? At age 18? They have traits of small forwards.

2nd, Dimma got to use players on the list, especially academy kids and fit them into his plan. If you say Rogers and Lombard are midfielders, what does it mean for their future? They will not start there next year. Playing in VFL, traded? It takes usually 3+ years to develop as a midfielder and they are not big body players. Do we trade out some current midfielders who are just entering good times? Surely not.

I feel Lombard could be a good lock down small defender with his physical play, mongrel, speed.

Of course Dimma will make some changes, some players will go. Drafting Read, Walter, Andrew probably spells the end of Lukosius.

Sure we can draft Berry but some players like Rogers, Lombard will have less opportunities to make best 22 in that role.

We are best team for number of inside 50 (or 2nd). Sorting out deliveries, taking opportunities, conversion is a key issue besides midfield struggling for consistency.

So many times players like Anderson, Flanders, Rowell just blast ball inside 50 instead of passing ball to players running along side them.

It will probably happen for us with more confidence. Let's see this Sat.

Last edited:
This is who we should be getting in the draft, perfect for our forward line.

Agree. If we are taking a high pick in the draft (excluding Lombard obviously) he's the one to get. Wouldn't mind a KPD with a late pick too.

Preference is still to trade in a Rioli type, but a small forward is a need.

Luke Parker reportedly open to a move on Gettable.

Ex captain, premiership player, and can still win games.

If we want a Luke Hodge type, I think he's the perfect fit for the Suns

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Luke Parker reportedly open to a move on Gettable.

Ex captain, premiership player, and can still win games.

If we want a Luke Hodge type, I think he's the perfect fit for the Suns

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Joe Richards is a good little player too, surprised Collingwood haven't signed him up.

Joe Richards is a good little player too, surprised Collingwood haven't signed him up.
According to Gettable, now offered him a contract but he has interest from rivals including port. So we'll see what happens. I'd like to keep him, but there is gonna be a crunch on list spots.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess I disagree with their early categorisation - they are not 'natural small forwards'. What does it mean? At age 18? They have traits of small forwards.

2nd, Dimma got to use players on the list, especially academy kids and fit them into his plan. If you say Rogers and Lombard are midfielders, what does it mean for their future? They will not start there next year. Playing in VFL, traded? It takes usually 3+ years to develop as a midfielder and they are not big body players. Do we trade out some current midfielders who are just entering good times? Surely not.

I feel Lombard could be a good lock down small defender with his physical play, mongrel, speed.

Of course Dimma will make some changes, some players will go. Drafting Read, Walter, Andrew probably spells the end of Lukosius.

Sure we can draft Berry but some players like Rogers, Lombard will have less opportunities to make best 22 in that role.

We are best team for number of inside 50 (or 2nd). Sorting out deliveries, taking opportunities, conversion is a key issue besides midfield struggling for consistency.

So many times players like Anderson, Flanders, Rowell just blast ball inside 50 instead of passing ball to players running along side them.

It will probably happen for us with more confidence. Let's see this Sat.
Then Rogers and Lombard ply their trade in the VFL. I'm not sure what this aversion is to kids playing VFL anymore is, they can still learn a lot there. If there is someone better for the position (Berry), why shoehorn in someone who isn't naturally suited to the role just to get them in the best 22?
Both Rogers and Lombard have played the overwhelming majority of their junior careers as midfielders. The things they will need to learn to play as small forwards, someone who is a small forward will already know. Let them grow and find their roles in the VFL if you have someone who can come into the AFL and understand the small forward role off the bat.

For example I don't think Jed Walter is a natural forward, he is a brute of a kid and has absolutely elite attributes that will make him a top class KPF some day, but he has really struggled at AFL level this year because he has always relied on this athletic attributes in the past to play as a forward. He will learn and get better but the IQ and the footy nous as a forward aren't there.
Berry has played as a forward for his u18s career, he knows the role, he knows how to play it. I don't see why you're so against drafting a player who is someone we are desperately crying out for?

Then Rogers and Lombard ply their trade in the VFL. I'm not sure what this aversion is to kids playing VFL anymore is, they can still learn a lot there. If there is someone better for the position (Berry), why shoehorn in someone who isn't naturally suited to the role just to get them in the best 22?
Both Rogers and Lombard have played the overwhelming majority of their junior careers as midfielders. The things they will need to learn to play as small forwards, someone who is a small forward will already know. Let them grow and find their roles in the VFL if you have someone who can come into the AFL and understand the small forward role off the bat.

For example I don't think Jed Walter is a natural forward, he is a brute of a kid and has absolutely elite attributes that will make him a top class KPF some day, but he has really struggled at AFL level this year because he has always relied on this athletic attributes in the past to play as a forward. He will learn and get better but the IQ and the footy nous as a forward aren't there.
Berry has played as a forward for his u18s career, he knows the role, he knows how to play it. I don't see why you're so against drafting a player who is someone we are desperately crying out for?
I am not against drafting Berry or another small forward.

I am more curious about what it means for other players, list. Talent like Rogers playing VFL as there is no spot for him? I value him. He would receive a lot of interest and eventually leave. Dimma is not putting games into him this year (despite having no preseason) just to waste him in VFL next year.

As for Walter, he will learn much more in AFL than in VFL. He still pressures, contests. That pickup ground ball goal was pretty impressive on weekend. He mistimes his jumps often but it would not surprise me if he scores 3+ goals soon.

Remember when people here were screaming for Mac to spend 2-3 years in VFL to learn his craft, that he is not ready, too skinny, does not understand the game and yet Dew persisted with him.

Last edited:
I am not against drafting Berry or another small forward.

I am more curious about what it means for other players, list. Talent like Rogers playing VFL as there is no spot for him? I value him. He would eventually leave. Dimma is not putting games into him this year (despite having no preseason) just to waste him in VFL next year.

As for Walter, he will learn much more in AFL than in VFL. He still pressures, contests. That pickup ground ball ball was pretty impressive on weekend.

Remember when people here were screaming for Mac to spend 2-3 years in VFL to learn his craft, that he is not ready, too skinny, does not understand the game and yet Dew persisted with him.
Can't keep everyone, if someone does the role better than them and they can't break through what's the problem? I understand the romance of Academy players and an all Queensland squad etc, but some players just aren't going to live up to their billings. Not saying Rogers or Leo won't be stars or great players, just if there is an opportunity to bring in a player that improves the list, you do it. The 22 sorts it's self out, better to have options then not.

It was mentioned on gettable, that come next year and onwards, you'll find QLD academy players at other clubs because the new rules will make it impossible to keep them all.

With rioli, he wants to come as much as you want him, so I think that gets done.
12 and 20 probably fair they said.

Can't keep everyone, if someone does the role better than them and they can't break through what's the problem? I understand the romance of Academy players and an all Queensland squad etc, but some players just aren't going to live up to their billings. Not saying Rogers or Leo won't be stars or great players, just if there is an opportunity to bring in a player that improves the list, you do it. The 22 sorts it's self out, better to have options then not.
Fair enough. It's selection process driven by Dimma. I definitely have no problem for Luko to leave.

For me Rogers could be fantastic for us. Not many players are quick and clean with hands and deliver ball like him.

Fair enough. It's selection process driven by Dimma. I definitely have no problem for Luko to leave.

For me Rogers could be fantastic for us. Not many players are quick and clean with hands and deliver ball like him.
Yeah Rogers looks the goods, I like him as that high half forward, I dont see him as the small forward. Best used playing up the ground, getting ahead of the player and delivering the ball I50.

I've been surprised port haven't been mentioned much re luko. Best mates the skipper, dixon and finlayson done, Marshall concussion issues concerning. They have cash, they are probably losing Houston and are throwing big $ at perryman and cumming. There's also rumblings of butters wanting back to Vic.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back