2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Kalani White....anyone!
It would be a delicious serving of karma if these current issues at the Dees end up costing them Kalani White. There were discussions last year that by the time Kalani's draft year rolls around, we should be on the way up and the Dees should be on the way down. Now that is looking like a very real possibility with internal issues seemingly creating big problems at Demonland and perhaps Kalani will think twice before committing to Melbourne.

Can't keep everyone, if someone does the role better than them and they can't break through what's the problem? I understand the romance of Academy players and an all Queensland squad etc, but some players just aren't going to live up to their billings. Not saying Rogers or Leo won't be stars or great players, just if there is an opportunity to bring in a player that improves the list, you do it. The 22 sorts it's self out, better to have options then not.
IMO we've got a really unique opportunity to create a generational change within the Gold Coast that runs really deep into the community grassroots level through these talented youngsters we currently have access to. Dimma does seem determined to play local players when he can so I think he understands the kind of impact it can have if we do it correctly. Plus, there's a pretty good chance that the academy won't exist in the same way it currently does at some point in the future, so you kind of need to strike now if you're going to pull off something reveolutionary.

I'm not advocating that we draft every local prospect that looks slightly better than a speculative rookie pick (we tried that in the past) but at the moment our academy seems to be producing legitimate first round prospects and retaining players of that quality should be a priority IMO. Look at what West Coast did when they filled their list with WA players they had access to and then a few years later the locals become legends by playing in inaugural premierships and setting the tone for decades to come. The kids of the Gold Coast are going to grow up looking up to players like PBC's Jed Walter, Broadbeach's Jake Rogers and Labrador's Conor Budarick in the same way that South Fremantle juniors would have looked up to one of their own in Eagles premiership captain John Worsfold or Claremont juniors with Guy McKenna etc.

As for filling holes in our list, that's what the trade and free agency periods are for. You bring in a player that can immediately make an impact instead of drafting a player for a role he probably can't fulfil for years and by that point the holes in your list are likely completely different.

Short version - Suns won't let him go cheap.
The part about Dimma's believing we're about to become a destination club because players are ringing is really interesting. Obviously we've heard it before, but I get the feeling that Dimma has a better chance of pulling these moves off than any other coach we've had in the past. We know about Rioli and Dusty - are there others?

Clarko has a few good points.

You can’t win a premiership by keep going to the draft.
Hawks plugged holes with Gibson and Lake among others before/during there premiership run

And you need high quality leaders from successful clubs to lead from the front and set standards.

Actually not surprised, despite their success I don't see too many high priced players on the list. Add to that the rumoured block of land deals and whatever else they use to dodge the cap. If oliver is to leave Melbourne would have to be paying a chunk still otherwise he won't be worth much in a trade.

What about someone like Caleb Daniel
28 was All australian 3 years ago
One of best kicks in the comp
Now can’t get a game.

Could almost walk here with a 4th Rd pick

Could Rioli and Daniel work together?

What about someone like Caleb Daniel
28 was All australian 3 years ago
One of best kicks in the comp
Now can’t get a game.

Could almost walk here with a 4th Rd pick

Could Rioli and Daniel work together?
He can't get a game because outside of being a good kick he doesn't provide anything. You can't hide him in the backline, he gets exposed.

He can't get a game because outside of being a good kick he doesn't provide anything. You can't hide him in the backline, he gets exposed.
I’m used to players not providing anything. But a good kick, you say? Boy I wish we had some more of those.

But I get what you’re saying. I think if we don’t land Rioli we absolutely go for another player of his type like Daniel (don’t know enough about him, but could Daniel be a winger kicking inside 50 for us?)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 2081691

Da heck.
I hope Dimma was telling the truth about players wanting in…
Because this shit getting crazy.
Sitting equal 2nd on ladder.
Then bringing 2x A grade players 👀
Imagine if the sun or the swans were saying this, the vic media would be outraged and calling for an enquiry into the salary cap. Vic club and it’s nothing to see here, move along, move along

This thread is like Groundhog Day
Avidly counting our pick points to spend on Magic Beans
Until we find a way to get high end top 6 players and leaders into the Club- and I’m talking 2 or 3 in a trade period we are destined to hit play pause repeat for infinity
Rioli is the best we can hope for?
Definitely a hole we need to fill but does he push us forward as a Club?
As suspected Petracca seen talking to Brisbane- not us - never us
It is just dream weaving if people think we are attracting that talent
They may as well stay in Melbourne and play for North or St Kilda
Our Academy hasn’t gushed rivers of gold
Lots of overhype there
I’m starting to think if we taste success it will be through luck rather than any planning because you can diss the list managers as much as you like but I’m ready to say they know what they can and can’t do and they’ve tried everything with limited resources
I understand the Academy strategy but if the draft was redone today do you think the Melbourne Media Mafia would be howling quite so loud?
I’m not really sure how we break the cycle
Dimma is our best chance because he will be under no illusions about what’s needed
If he can’t make it happen no- one can

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m not really sure how we break the cycle

Imo, the only way is for a couple of our players to become elite, first choice AA players. And very few elite players ever change clubs. Lachie Neale. Treloar is elite this year. Hens Teeth stuff. JHF is a bedwetter, so does not count.

A smattering of the modern crop of elite players:
Bont was a pick 4.
Petracca was a pick 2.
Cripps was mid first round.
Butters was mid first round.
Gawn was a late pick.
Sheezel was a pick 2.
Harley Reid was a pick 1.
Serong and Hayden Young were late in the top 10 of a draft.
Chad Warner was a pick in the 30's.
Tom Green was an academy player.
Heeney and Gulden are academy players.

We have had all those picks and academy players already. If the genuinely elite and AA players are not currently on our list, suggest the cycle is not getting broken any time soon. Tbh, Petracca is not walking through that door. Another GAJ is not walking through that door. Not even Heeney is walking through that door.

It is very possible for players to get better and better and become first choice AA level players (although you do need to play well on the road), but if we think that is not going to happen, suggest we prepare ourselves for a road that is longer than 14 years.

Imo, the only way is for a couple of our players to become elite, first choice AA players. And very few elite players ever change clubs. Lachie Neale. Treloar is elite this year. Hens Teeth stuff. JHF is a bedwetter, so does not count.

A smattering of the modern crop of elite players:
Bont was a pick 4.
Petracca was a pick 2.
Cripps was mid first round.
Butters was mid first round.
Gawn was a late pick.
Sheezel was a pick 2.
Harley Reid was a pick 1.
Serong and Hayden Young were late in the top 10 of a draft.
Chad Warner was a pick in the 30's.
Tom Green was an academy player.
Heeney and Gulden are academy players.

We have had all those picks and academy players already. If the genuinely elite and AA players are not currently on our list, suggest the cycle is not getting broken any time soon. Tbh, Petracca is not walking through that door. Another GAJ is not walking through that door. Not even Heeney is walking through that door.

It is very possible for players to get better and better and become first choice AA level players (although you do need to play well on the road), but if we think that is not going to happen, suggest we prepare ourselves for a road that is longer than 14 years.
Our team are a bunch of cookies.
Asoon as you put them under any pressure the crumble.

They don’t know how to win

They don’t know how to win
It's entirely possible that's not completely their fault
If you're raised by alcoholic parents there's a decent chance you'll end up on the wrong end of the bottle too
That's why you need to entice players to the Club who know how to win to come
We've been teased by Shaun Burgoyne and now Dusty
I'd take Sidebottom if he isnt offered a contract and wants to play on another year for that and only that reason
No"He's cooked " comments please
He's way less cooked than Hodge was and a better player

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back