2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Bailey smith makes so much sense. The afl will be absolutely licking their lips with baz being the face of the gc. It's a marketing dream.

Bailey Smith otherwise known as the bedwetter who didn’t want to leave Victoria when he was in the draft, that Bailey Smith?

We all love a good story but this one’s a little bit too far-fetched.
People grow up. If the draft age was raised to 20 I doubt you'd ever see a kid demand to stay in their own state. Makes a lot of sense for a guy who supposedly doesn't like being in the spotlight 24/7

People grow up. If the draft age was raised to 20 I doubt you'd ever see a kid demand to stay in their own state. Makes a lot of sense for a guy who supposedly doesn't like being in the spotlight 24/7
I suppose anything is possible but it just seems highly unlikely to me, I would say however if the suns are going to throw away pick five I would prefer to see it used on a 23yo Smith than a 28yo Rioli

Bailey Smith otherwise known as the bedwetter who didn’t want to leave Victoria when he was in the draft, that Bailey Smith?

We all love a good story but this one’s a little bit too far-fetched.
Blame the AFL for that they allow the kids to get away with it with no kind of punishment

Can confirm.

His recent trip to the GC (like two weeks ago) was to do a medical with your mob. Have had it confirmed now by two separate sources.

Let’s wait and see what pans out.
Thought Smith was a foregone conclusion to the cats but I wouldn’t say no to him if he wanted to come to the SUNS.

Blame the AFL for that they allow the kids to get away with it with no kind of punishment
Just like the “I miss my Mum” clause that allows the kids to leave but only to the club they nominate. It’s funny to me that the same clubs sooking it up after 1 standout academy draft in 13 years Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, Carlton have nothing to say about the rule they directly benefit from year after year

Just like the “I miss my Mum” clause that allows the kids to leave but only to the club they nominate. It’s funny to me that the same clubs sooking it up after 1 standout academy draft in 13 years Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, Carlton have nothing to say about the rule they directly benefit from year after year
I was actually happy that the Suns benefited for once from the Academy I lived on the Gold Coast in 2005 left in 2010. So I understand way it’s so important for the Northern state Academies without it the kids will just play league or Soccer

FWIW, Smith did train with southport the other night.
But pretty sure he's locked into Geelong.

On Gettable it was mentioned that they expect Rioli will request a trade to the suns next week once exit interviews start.

May as well get this off my chest. I haven't been reading this thread of the DustyWatch thread so I don't know what the opinions of people on this board are and if I'm speaking out of turn.

I know the club has been heavily pursuing Dan Rioli. While we need players of his position, I'm not sure he would be the best player available, just the best player on the market that might want to play with us. Really uncomfortable giving away top trade capital for Rioli. His position is less urgent than it was at the start of the season, Bodhi Uwland, Wil Powell, and Lachie Weller ended the season strong. I know Hardwick's gameplan relies on having a Bachar Houli type of player off half back, I just have concerns over throwing the cheque book at Dan Rioli.

I think the club should focus on retaining Jack Lukosius, and trying to get a killer preseason out of him. I heard some things about the club wanting salary cap relief from trading him away, which infuriates me if the club is going to try and lure Dusty Martin out of retirement on significant coin. Luko probably isn't fulfilling his "next Nick Riewoldt" draft profile, but he still has a truly unique skillset that cannot be replicated anywhere else. If the club is going to lose Lukosius, it shouldn't be this year when his trade value is at his lowest.

Gut feel that the cuts could get deeper than just Lukosius, could see a scenario where Jeffery and rosas could be on the table also. There was talk on the north board they have put an offer to rosas.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gut feel that the cuts could get deeper than just Lukosius, could see a scenario where Jeffery and rosas could be on the table also. There was talk on the north board they have put an offer to rosas.

Can’t just be “outs” though, we need some “ins”, badly. Even with Dimma, outside of Rioli we haven’t been linked to anyone… either we have no leaks… or we gonna be disappointed come trade time, again.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Can’t just be “outs” though, we need some “ins”, badly. Even with Dimma, outside of Rioli we haven’t been linked to anyone… either we have no leaks… or we gonna be disappointed come trade time, again.

We just aren't an attractive destination, still.

I do love this time of year. The hope is strong, just not enough to break through my cynicism.

But we should as always throw our hat in the ring for any top level player.

Rioli. Sure? Makes sense. But price is high.
Petracca? Far, far less likely. Price is even higher.
Smith? I could almost believe the club would be interested. Would fit in on the GC—maybe too well 😉

Whatever the case, get the best player we can get. Make sure one is an A grader.

Then fill the holes with whoever is left.

Top up with some state league hopefuls or mature age academy kids, draft Lombard and use any leftover picks and hope for the best.

Yeah, much like the players, the entire club from top to bottom needs to grow the f*ck up a bit and stop just expecting we will make finals, or that our young players will just become guns, or that an A grade player is just going to want to join us.

As Hardwick said, it is so much more difficult being a club outside of Melbourne, and you need to work smarter and harder, be more shrewd and exploit any tiny advantage you find. Yet year in, year out our team pisses draft picks and money up the wall going around in circles without addressing the issues and just expecting things to be different.

Rightly or wrongly, any manager worth a dam would currently avoid the club. Yes, you’ll get a bag over 5 years, but our track record suggests that the moment you have a struggle, you’re frozen out unless you can fix yourself immediately and shipped off at the earliest convenience while being blamed for our salary cap being all over the place.

We have to show that things have changed and that we have a vision beyond snap decisions, not just talk about it. IMO Rioli is a perfect fit from a culture, position and leadership perspective and could well be the catalyst for change. But we have to show that we have a limit on his worth and not just bend over backwards while ruining our draft hand/strategy.

Anyways. Just tired of supporting ongoing incompetence.

Bailey Smith has a quick coffee with Dimma and a free medical that should be enough to force Geelong to add that extra year to the contract they were holding back

Bailey smith and Rioli are exactly what we need a fast outside mid who uses the ball well to compliment our stock pile of inside mids and a dashing line breaker half back who hits targets
But we are still the Gold Coast suns so we will end up getting neither of them and giving pick 11 for Jack Petruccelle

On The Couch was a pretty good interesting watch in the days of Healy Sheahan and Walls

It’s complete unprofessional tripe with that Goon Gary Lyon fronting it.

It was just Melbourne Demons propaganda tonight and the likes of Brown and Buckley ought to harden up just letting that campaigner dominate the agenda and conversation.

On The Couch was a pretty good interesting watch in the days of Healy Sheahan and Walls

It’s complete unprofessional tripe with that Goon Gary Lyon fronting it.

It was just Melbourne Demons propaganda tonight and the likes of Brown and Buckley ought to harden up just letting that campaigner dominate the agenda and conversation.
So glad I didn't watch it and put myself thru that crud....and his commentating games on Fox is worse......I even stopped watching one of his games 2 rounds ago......it was all his opinions and not commentating on the game in front of him

1724064396224.png

Cal Twomey is reporting that Daniel Rioli will request a trade to the Gold Coast in his exit meeting next week.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back