2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually see it quite differently. Miller deserved spray. Luko is a smart player and clearly see better options not used.

IMO, Miller kicking it to Long into 1v1 contest clearly illustrates our main issue. We are 2nd best for inside 50 but the worst for converting inside 50 opportunities. Miller should kick it to Luko. Much better option, higher percentage. He was lucky the kick was good and Long won the contest. He should do exactly what Rogers did later when he run towards 50 and kicked it to Graham for easy 35m direct set shot. That's why Rogers will be so valuable for us. He does not have blinkers on like Anderson, and other midfielders have when kicking inside 50.

Luko being ignored, I would say 5+ per game in good positions just again shows a long way we have to go in improving deliveries. So many times players have a teammate running next to them through the middle only for the ball to be kicked randomly inside 50.
hard to argue with that logic Jirik however If it was me and I had Longy making space off his opponent and the trust he has garnered with his craft and contest plus goalkicking reliability under pressure I would innately go to him over Luko who I would have question marks over his set shot percentage farther out
If Holman's our GOAT - we are in nig trouble.
Nick was always my favourite player but I put him almost in the Berry category now they just don't get enough of the ball for 4 quarters of footy Not sure if Nick has lost a step or lost confidence but he rarely is a presence for 4 quarters anymore compared to what he used to be like He seemed to be the guy that stood up when the rest of the team was off and would bob up and kick big goals to shift momentum........ every now and again this year he bobs up and shown some old form but nothing like he was, I think he is cooked hopefully it's just an off year

think rioli and noble will be excellent acquisitions but are surprised you are considering shopping lukosius... think hes a super talent that will make a great foil to king and walter as a third tall.
My thinking is that with Rioli and Noble coming in Ethan read will play permanent ruck/fwd to be the 3rd tall option. This time last year he was being touted as a massive talent. From what little i've seen he likes the contest far more than Luko ever has.

My thinking is that with Rioli and Noble coming in Ethan read will play permanent ruck/fwd to be the 3rd tall option. This time last year he was being touted as a massive talent. From what little i've seen he likes the contest far more than Luko ever has.
Next year, it looks more like Read in defence and King, Walter, Andrew forward. Read, Andrew swapping roles possibly.

We are 3rd best in the league without the ball, our forward 50 entries are also at the pointy end of the league, so the stats say we do well at turning over the ball and rebounds that lead to forward 50 entries but we are are getting rid of a player that could be anything in Luko with decent delivery and our best small forward in Rosas. I am sure Dimma has a clear plan but it’s so hard to understand as a fan

Seems pretty clear that Dimma wants players that can fulfil clear roles - pressure forwards that put their head over the ball, key forwards that win their own ball in the air, outside players that have speed and use the ball.

Luko while talented doesn't really fill any particular role in his system.

Rosas only shows up 1 every 3 games (yes that can happen to a small forward but still need to contribute in other ways without the ball when it's not going your way).

Hardwick won flags with players filling roles. Be silly to think he wouldn't try to do the exact same thing here. He loves role players, look at Castanga, literally Hardwicks favourite player. It's going to infuriate a lot of us supporters and we are going to lose talented players for not much because he doesn't rate them. But that is what comes with such a highly decorated successful coach, it's Dimmas way or it's not happening.

Hardwick won flags with players filling roles. Be silly to think he wouldn't try to do the exact same thing here. He loves role players, look at Castanga, literally Hardwicks favourite player. It's going to infuriate a lot of us supporters and we are going to lose talented players for not much because he doesn't rate them. But that is what comes with such a highly decorated successful coach, it's Dimmas way or it's not happening.
Pretty much spot on.

I believe the success is not guaranteed by successful senior coach coming in. I still think Dimma success with Tigers started by surrounding him with great assistant coaches and several players traded in (Prestia, Nankervis, Caddy). Look at our assistants.

Also I believe coach should match together the list and his plan. The list we got is not what he got with Tigers. If he plans to transform Suns list into his Tigers list, we could be in trouble.

It also looks like we will play a very young line-up again next year.

Great to see 'In Dimma we trust' often here. IMO, no guarantee. I can't wait for next season. If we don't progress I can't imagine melts here. IMO, it's on the edge. Oppositions will improve.

Rosas family on FB

Eileen Cummings
Footballers do get injured. I thought you finally found someone who knew how to coach you but obviously I was wrong they want to move you on. Love the way you play you are such a talent. Hope all goes well for you in the coming years. So very proud of you my MWR.

Sheena Cummings
We are so proud of you all your family and we will continue to watch you love you

Conversely, I would say over the previous years that this list has underperformed under multiple coaches now and perhaps this very talented group don't have that mentality to turn up week in and week out and give consistent performances? It isn't surprising there are examples that you can point to for the players being told to explore their options have not gone hard at contests, not performed under pressure, or beaten to the ball.

There would be a reason the likes of Davies and Holman are being offered a contract and players like Lukosius and Rosas are asked to assess their options. This coaching group values toughness and hardness over elite skills, will it work? Who knows but we knew this was a year of discovery, and now we are finding out what they think.

Pretty much spot on.

I believe the success is not guaranteed by successful senior coach coming in. I still think Dimma success with Tigers started by surrounding him with great assistant coaches and several players traded in (Prestia, Nankervis, Caddy). Look at our assistants.

Also I believe coach should match together the list and his plan. The list we got is not what he got with Tigers. If he plans to transform Suns list into his Tigers list, we could be in trouble.

It also looks like we will play a very young line-up again next year.

Great to see 'In Dimma we trust' often here. IMO, no guarantee. I can't wait for next season. If we don't progress I can't imagine melts here. IMO, it's on the edge. Oppositions will improve.
I didn't want Hardwick from the start because I was worried he would just try and make us into Richmond 2.0. Pagan did it at Carlton, Malthouse did at Carlton as well, I didn't see it working and I am willing to give him a shot but I am thoroughly underwhelmed so far. Seems to rigid in his "systems" and it's going to cost us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what do we thinking so far?

Luko for Adelaides F1?
Rosas for a second or F2?
Noble for 26/whatever we get for Rosas
Davies might be a third?

Rioli the interesting one. He's not worth 6 by itself despite what Richmond fans think. What about 6 for Rioli and one of Freo's first that they get for Bolton?

Would leave us with 13, 20 plus a freo first. Could then try to move them to next year and or get ahead of the Lombard bid. WC or Melbourne may both prefer several picks this year rather than one top 5 pick.

So what do we thinking so far?

Luko for Adelaides F1?
Rosas for a second or F2?
Noble for 26/whatever we get for Rosas
Davies might be a third?

Rioli the interesting one. He's not worth 6 by itself despite what Richmond fans think. What about 6 for Rioli and one of Freo's first that they get for Bolton?

Would leave us with 13, 20 plus a freo first. Could then try to move them to next year and or get ahead of the Lombard bid. WC or Melbourne may both prefer several picks this year rather than one top 5 pick.
I think you’re about on the money 👍

Adelaide could have a forward line unrecognisable to the front six that took the field for much of the year with the Crows registering interest in Gold Coast’s Malcolm Rosas in recent days.
The clever and pacy goal sneak is contracted to 2025 but has been told to assess his options at the Suns as they clear cap space, and could join Alex Neal-Bullen and potentially current Gold Coast teammate Jack Lukosius at the Crows.

Half a dozen clubs are believed to be keen on Rosas, given his dynamic form, with clubs keen on small pressuring forwards.

Neal-Bullen has been Adelaide-bound for some time but officially nominated the Crows as his club of choice this week as the Demons attempt to secure a quality pick for the hard-running half forward.

He is not only an exceptional character but he does a power of work surging up and back and will help the Adelaide forward line function.

Speaking on Triple M after he finalised his deal to stay at West Lakes in 2025, Adelaide talisman Taylor Walker said Neal-Bullen would be a big addition for the Crows.

“We know he’s a great footballer and the thing I’m looking forward to is the leadership and experience he brings and the experience because we probably lacked a little bit of that the last few years,” he said.

“He’ll be a great addition to the footy club once we can get that done.”

The Crows have Melbourne’s second round pick this year, which is currently No. 25 in the draft.

That came when forward Shane McAdam moved to the Demons at the end of last year, spurning an offer from the Crows.

Adelaide is one of a number of interested parties for the services of Suns forward Lukosius who is understood to have a back-ended contract that has two more years to run.

As revealed by The Advertiser, the club has made its play with coach Matthew Nicks meeting with the 26-year-old on the Gold Coast earlier this month.

The Crows would need to give up a quality pick for his services – the Suns would ask for a first-rounder then the haggling would start.

But the Crows have ample cap space and they would have some leverage in the discussion if he chose Adelaide given its capacity to absorb his salary.

There is a belief at West Lakes that the former No. 2 pick could thrive as a connecting higher forward, such as the role Tom Lynch played when he was at the Crows.

The Power has also met Lukosius but it is keen on GWS pair Harry Perryman and Isaac Cumming and have to strike a trade for All Australian defender Dan Houston.

Houston is keen to get back to Melbourne, so it remains to be seen if the Power has the cap space for Lukosius’s wage.

But given his talent, the Power will make sure it is at least in the conversation for the good friend of Port captain Connor Rozee, and a Houston deal could yield the picks required.

Rosas kicked 19 goals from 19 games last year and 12 goals from seven games at an impressive strike rate this year but played plenty of VFL football as he came back from a hamstring injury.

While he is well set in Queensland, with his partner in a new job, clubs see his considerable upside as he looks for a new home.

The Crows would look to push Izak Rankine and Josh Rachele up the ground if they secured Rosas and Neal-Bullen and will also believe they can keep Riley Thilthorpe on the park for the full season.

Good on the crows, Fog, Thilthorpe, Luko, Rachele & Rankine $4mil forward line. All capable of $800k each

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back