2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably not popular but I do agree with Day being let go, not so much Luko and Rosas as I think there are other player more deserving of the chop like Lemmens, Tistas, MacPherson for a start

Probably not popular but I do agree with Day being let go, not so much Luko and Rosas as I think there are other player more deserving of the chop like Lemmens, Tistas, MacPherson for a start
What's wrong with keeping Lemmens as a role player for depth? He's on cheap. Did you notice his great job shutting down opposition player recently, Pickett among them? IMO, still our best 1v1 small defender.

Last edited:

What's wrong with keeping Lemmens as a role player for depth? He's on cheap. Did you notice his great job shutting down opposition player recently, Pickett among them? Still our best 1v1 small defender.
Yeah, I’d keep Lemmens and even Sexton over MacPherson, for example. Both are much more closer to AFL level and, being later in their career, may play for less years/money.

Yeah, I’d keep Lemmens and even Sexton over MacPherson, for example. Both are much more closer to AFL level and, being later in their career, may play for less years/money.
Exactly we need some depth. Day on peanuts, why not? He actually surprised this year. Just waiting to get injuries to talls next year and Walter and Read to be our spearheads while everybody screaming they are not ready.

What's wrong with keeping Lemmens as a role player for depth? He's on cheap. Did you notice his great job shutting down opposition player recently, Pickett among them? IMO, still our best 1v1 small defender.
I think Lemmens is a bellwether decision on whether we are serious about moving on from the past and reaching the 8 or holding onto list cloggers - I just can't cop that as a total footballer he is AFL quality.

I think Lemmens is a bellwether decision on whether we are serious about moving on from the past and reaching the 8 or holding onto list cloggers - I just can't cop that as a total footballer he is AFL quality.
Nobody talks about best 22 (although Dimma played Lemmens recently). So who will be your depth when some small defenders go down? Academy kids?

You can't have Lemmens, Collins and Ballard in the same back 6, they would defend well but you can't have half your backline not be able to kick
Yet Dimma did just that recently. Personally, I agree with you. I argue for a depth role not best 22. We were extremely lucky with injuries this year.

Yet Dimma did just that recently. Personally, I agree with you. I argue for a depth role not best 22. We were extremely lucky with injuries this year.
Depth is good but was the point of keeping someone who has been on the list for 10 years and can’t keep his spot… I would much prefer us to come last in the vfl and play finals constantly then keep depth players around

Depth is good but was the point of keeping someone who has been on the list for 10 years and can’t keep his spot… I would much prefer us to come last in the vfl and play finals constantly then keep depth players around
As I said, if we get injuries, who is your player let's say number 28-32 to jump in? Academy 18 old kid or some untried VFL player? Lemmens, Holman can play that role (and are cheap).

Any young player who believes he can make best 22 will probably leave if he does not get opportunity and does not play regularly (Davies).

Every year, we get some young players to develop.

You don't want to go back 5 years, when VFL team was humiliated regularly, we played 16 old kids. It does not help with development. Either we get some extra mature players on the list like now (because of extended list) or we will have to follow Lions path - get VFL only mature players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I said, if we get injuries, who is your player let's say number 28-32 to jump in? Academy 18 old kid or some untried VFL player? Lemmens, Holman can play that role (and are cheap).

Any young player who believes he can make best 22 will probably leave if he does not get opportunity and does not play regularly (Davies).

Every year, we get some young players to develop.

You don't want to go back 5 years, when VFL team was humiliated regularly, we played 16 old kids. It does not help with development. Either we get some extra mature players on the list like now (because of extended list) or we will have to follow Lions path - get VFL only mature players.

I would much prefer us to take a punt on a Clohesy type then keep a Lemmens. We have all been guilty of over valuing our players myself included.

A strong VFL side is very useful. Young players won't develop well if they are getting smashed. If Lemmens etc are happy to stay on low wages and play mainly VFL fine with me.

Important to have good pro's/characters around the club too.
We won the comp last year and we are still having this same old result. I agree we need mature vfl players but that’s where we have vfl only players… Tsitas would be an ideal candidate for that.

I feel like we are in the plot of the moneyball movie before they change there strategy and become successful

A VFL list of mature players is useful when our team is young. We needed it in our early stages (but chose not to to disastrous results) and a few years ago in full rebuild mode (which I think did help protect players from injury a bit).

But if we are shifting our age profile by recruiting mature players—meaning some of our best 22 (Swallow, Holman, Sexton etc.) drop down to play with Berry and Fiorini types—and then recruiting some VFL level depth or giving lifelines + academy top ups, while only bringing in 1-2 18 year olds instead of five… then it becomes less important.

I will preface this statement by saying most Crows fans are reasonable and have a good understanding of football matters, but the Luko thread on the draft board has some absolute troglodytes in it, the entitlement and rhetoric where opinion is stated as if it was fact and where each poster builds upon the last fabrication makes me concerned for the future of humanity. The melts if Luko goes for the Power will be epic, get out your 🍿

Last edited:
So does anyone know why Rosas is leaving? Is it his inconsistency? Stupid suspensions? Soft? Not enough pressure/tackling? Attitude? Some off-filed issue?

I still remember during season Dimma praised his talent, how we miss him, how important he is to our system.

Any inside info? Not going to ask grandma on FB 😂

What will be the trade?

Last edited:
So does anyone know why Rosas is leaving? Is it his inconsistency? Stupid suspensions? Soft? Not enough pressure/tackling? Attitude? Some off-filed issue?

I still remember during season Dimma praised his talent, how we miss him, how important he is to our system.

Any inside info? Not going to ask grandma on FB 😂

What will be the trade?
I’d hope a second Rd
But I guess third because I’m biased.

Maybe we can find a fringe player who can take the next step in a swap?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back