2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

You counting Day as a rookie? Was Pre Season Drafted not rookie drafted? Also Clohesy and Uwland won’t stay if they start on the rookie list
I had Day on senior list. Uwland has been 3 years on rookie list so he has to be upgraded.

Yeah, I also expect Clohesy to be upgraded but Clohesy has been on rookie list only one year so he can stay 2 more years if Suns/Clohesy decide so even after re-signing (part of his salary equal to the base rookie salary would not count against TPP).

Uwland stayed 3 years on rookie list, Moyle 2 if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Clubs asking for pic 6 for Rioli or pick 12 for Noble all comes from our inept trading history, Clubs think they are going to get a Bowes plus pick seven deal out of us or a Weller for pick two, the club made a rod for its own back with these brain-dead deals so now everybody thinks they are going to cash in, you can hardly blame them for trying it on. Hopefully the club finally puts on its big boy pants and tell some of these clubs to GAGF

I suppose the question is do you risk short term pain and missing out on these players to help us in the now, a critical time in our clubs history for benefit down the line?

It's tricky, but what is correct, this is all damage we have done to ourselves with our awful trading previously, there is no escaping or sugar coating that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs asking for pic 6 for Rioli or pick 12 for Noble all comes from our inept trading history, Clubs think they are going to get a Bowes plus pick seven deal out of us or a Weller for pick two, the club made a rod for its own back with these brain-dead deals so now everybody thinks they are going to cash in, you can hardly blame them for trying it on. Hopefully the club finally puts on its big boy pants and tell some of these clubs to GAGF
No, they ask for those picks because we have them and players are under contracts.

What are acceptable trades for you?

Last edited:
Anyone understand the idea of starting high? Jesus christ, of course they asking for something outrageous to begin with, you don't start with what you actually want.
People getting sucked into media crap way too easily, trade period is still a month away. Lots of time for the deals to be made.

All this talk is crazy overs.

But at the end of the day, I just want to finish the trade period, look at the list and say: “We are objectively better as a team, right now. We have made moves to try and move up the ladder in 2025.”

Is that too much to ask?

If it costs us all our capital and I can still say that, then it is worth it.

No, they ask for those picks because we have them and players are under contracts.

100%

Not sure what the big deal is with the asking price when you have a look at the Saad trade a few years ago
  • Saad was a club jumping player that was no where near as good ar Rioli at the time
  • Saad was uncontracted and already walked out of his club
  • SOS was one of the hardest negotiators at the time
  • Saad also didnt have the relationship with the clubs coach as what Rioli has
  • Saad also was not a 3 x Premiership player coming off a B & F year

At the end of the day the picks are there to be used for the best players we can get for our needs, we don't save them for retirement or for a better deal next year.
If we use our picks for Lombard, Noble and Rioli then we have done very, very well, will be the best year ever to make a difference on field immediately. We will no doubt get a couple of other mature role players somewhere in there too for lower picks

Disagree, in what world is even a contracted Noble worth pick 12?

Maybe I’m just not that high on Noble, but I wouldn’t even be considering involving #20 for him personally.

I know we want experienced players in yada yada, but with #12 and #20 we have the opportunity to go get Lombard and either Berry (if Lombard falls) or one of these KPDs in the #10-20 range and grab our Collins heir, both massive needs and not just ‘some 18 year old for the sake of it’, and still be able to give 2x2nds for Noble if we want to offer overs and set ourselves up for next year with everything else.

We are in a great spot to maximise our assets and come out ahead if we play it smart.

There is starting high, then there is starting way over the price that you are entering Dodoro territory.
Exactly, Essendon has a reputation and we do to, both clubs would be better off by discarding these reputations.

As an example Essendon gave us pick 29 for Saad and then sold him a few years later for pick 8, why? IMO it’s because they over value their picks and players, we are on the other end of the spectrum. Geelong wanted a first rounder for Ratogolia ffs 🤯

I’m not against getting these players but I would prefer we were stronger in our positions, as an example look at on selling pick 6 for a F1 and some late picks this year for Lombard, give 13 and 20 to the Tigers for Rioli (nice haul for them but not laughing stock level haul) and 26 for Noble. Same outcome except we have a f1, a good result and a step to changing the reputation we currently have. I think Cameron did a great job last year and I assume Dimma had a hand in that, hopefully this year is just as successful.

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back