2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean how we got Ballard and Weller from that trade ;)
(While Cerra, who we would’ve drafted went back to Melbourne)

If we are giving up pick 6 for Rioli, I’d assume it looks like this
Pick 6
For
Rioli 60-40 contract split and a future 3rd? Which is like 37 (academy and FS matching is much stricter for 2025) So that pick could slide in

Certainly not the worst
As I understand it, we were going after LDU not Cerra, we lucked out getting Ballard, it wasn’t from good management of the Weller trade

In hindsight taking LDU with pick 2 and then Weller as uncontracted the next year would of been ideal IMO

As I understand it, we were going after LDU not Cerra, we lucked out getting Ballard, it wasn’t from good management of the Weller trade

In hindsight taking LDU with pick 2 and then Weller as uncontracted the next year would of been ideal IMO
If that happened I doubt we would of been in that position to get Rowell and Anderson

SUNS MAKE VETERAN OFFER​

GOLD Coast veteran Sean Lemmens looks set to play on after being offered a one-year deal to remain at the Suns.

Lemmens played the final three games of Gold Coast's season and offered some experience in defence, having had an interrupted campaign before then with a VFL suspension and injury.

The unrestricted free agent has remained without a deal for 2025 but the Suns have put forward an offer to remain at the club.

This masthead can reveal Mac Andrew has put pen to paper on the richest deal in AFL history to remain on the Gold Coast long term and spearhead the Suns’ pursuit of an elusive premiership.

It is understood Andrew’s new deal is for six years, with a trigger for a further four years. It would see him play in the red, blue and gold into his 30s.

The contract, brokered by Pacific Sports Management, gives the Suns a level of protection should the worst happen and Andrew suffers a career-ending injury, while also ensuring a fit and firing Andrew will be well compensated for a decade.

In totality the contract is the richest deal in AFL history, eclipsing the likes of Dustin Martin and Lance Franklin’s lucrative contracts at Richmond and Sydney respectively.

The 20 year old was already contracted to the end of 2025, but his current deal has been restructured to reward his form this season that saw him become one of the most talked about young talents in the AFL.

All going well, it will tie Andrew and the Suns together to the end of 2034 – outpacing the deals of Port Adelaide captain Connor Rozee and Western Bulldogs spearhead Aaron Naughton, whose contracts expire at the end of 2032.

Victorian rivals were readying their war chests to lure Andrew back home on big money from next season, with one club reportedly willing to put an eight-year, $12m deal on the table.

Anticipating a major bidding war for the budding superstar’s services, the Suns successfully got ahead of the game to lockdown a cornerstone of the list they hope Damien Hardwick will soon lead to a premiership.

Andrew has already changed the AFL landscape on the Gold Coast.

In his first full season of senior football he has become an overwhelming fan favourite not just at the Suns but across the competition.

Only Harry Sheezel drew more public votes for the AFL 22under22 team – and Sheezel’s tally was bolstered by being a dual-position player, while Andrew was listed only as a key defender.

On Tuesday night, Andrew attended an NBL game on the Gold Coast where young fans snubbed the basketballers to instead swarm the Suns’ superstar for photos and autographs.

Not even Gary Ablett Jr, the man many consider to be the greatest modern player of all time and who played seven of his best years on the Gold Coast, captured the hearts and minds of the Suns fan base like Andrew has.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More and more deals will look like this with the new CBA. I imagine this record will get broken again pretty quickly. Incredible show of faith from Mac and the club.
My guess is the club is betting on a new CBA by the time Tassie get into the league and a 20th team is announced.

Excellent signing for the club. Could be the best player in the league in 3 to 4 years time

My guess is the club is betting on a new CBA by the time Tassie get into the league and a 20th team is announced.

Excellent signing for the club. Could be the best player in the league in 3 to 4 years time

First thing I thought of too, Gotta lock em in before Tassie come in

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back