2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

With the whole Luko thing, I think if he wants stay that the onus is on Dimma and the club to embrace him. The guy clearly has talent, find a way to use it
Agree to a point. The coach needs to motivate his players, and tactically it's the coaches job yes, but the player is the one out there doing it. Dimma can't make him give the extra effort when needed, or to go hard into a contest when required. That's on Jack.

I think there were clear takeaways from Wayne Campbell's comment that you either need to change the system or change to suit the system. We have too many key forwards and Lukosius is not going to be a key forward in this system going forward. He can leave and be a key forward for another team or he changes the way he plays and becomes a half back or wing in this system. It would require a massive pre-season of running but it would be credit to him if he could pull it off.

I think there were clear takeaways from Wayne Campbell's comment that you either need to change the system or change to suit the system. We have too many key forwards and Lukosius is not going to be a key forward in this system going forward. He can leave and be a key forward for another team or he changes the way he plays and becomes a half back or wing in this system. It would require a massive pre-season of running but it would be credit to him if he could pull it off.
The problem with Jack I think is twofold:
1. He has always been better than most based on talent, kicking skills etc but in AFL that doesn't cut it
2. He is NOT and never will be a contested player he hates the contact, tackling and it will never be part of his game

He can only play an outside mostly uncontested role like a forward that can find space and takes mostly uncontested marks or half forward, he can never be a defender because he wont win contests in tight or the big moments. Watch him closely around ground balls contests one on one and chasing his opponent with the ball its really confronting to see how little effort he puts in its just not what he wants to do

When our team is playing fast and rebounding like in Darwin and there are loose men he is a weapon but when we have to win tight, ugly scrappy games he isn't much use.

Worth mentioning the big bucks won't kick in until 2026, he still has 2025 on his current rate.

Do they tear up the old one and sign a new deal, or tack the new one on?

Honestly not sure. Would make sense to replace the old contract with a new one, get a pay rise for next year as well.

More importantly, wondering if the AFL will be paying some of the deal as Ambassador money. There are not many of them in the comp but would make a lot of sense for Mac to be one of them.

Do they tear up the old one and sign a new deal, or tack the new one on?

Honestly not sure. Would make sense to replace the old contract with a new one, get a pay rise for next year as well.

More importantly, wondering if the AFL will be paying some of the deal as Ambassador money. There are not many of them in the comp but would make a lot of sense for Mac to be one of them.
New deal is tacked on is my understanding

Agree to a point. The coach needs to motivate his players, and tactically it's the coaches job yes, but the player is the one out there doing it. Dimma can't make him give the extra effort when needed, or to go hard into a contest when required. That's on Jack.
Luko has learnt a valuable lesson, that is that he’s not as sort after or valuable as he thought he was. Nicks whispering sweet nothings in his ear and then balking when it came to the cost of securing him may be just the ego hit Luko required to get his head in a team first mindset

Time will tell.

I can't see Luko staying long-term. Not only because of our system he seems does not fit in, number of talls we got but no doubt down the track there will be cap pressure and some sorting will have to happen.

With cap going to 18.3M in 2026 people estimate teams will be able to have 4 1M+ players.

In our case primary candidates are - Mac, King, Rowell, Anderson. Flanders could be another one.

Down the track subject to development Walter, Read, Graham, Humphrey.

Last edited:
I can't see Luko staying long-term. Not only because of our system he seems does not fit in, number of talls we got but no doubt down the track there will be cap pressure and some sorting will have to happen.

With cap going to 18.3M in 2026 people estimate teams will be able to have 4 1M+ players.

In our case primary candidates are - Mac, King, Rowell, Anderson. Flanders could be another one.

Down the track subject to development Walter, Read, Graham, Humphrey.
Plus Dimma won't cuddle him if he keeps being a physical shirker

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Himmelberg won’t play but is good flexibility for both ends.

Slight upgrade on Chris Burgess

Remove this Banner Ad

2024/2025 Gold Coast Draft & Trade Periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Back