Women's Footy 2024 AFC AFLW Pre-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Going by a video released with Noffy by the club Teah Charlton’s ankle obviously didn’t respond to treatment + the moon boot she was wearing for quite a while and has had to have surgery and is still on crutches.

Would have to think she’d either be a doubt to play early in the season or at the very least be very hampered with a limited pre-season. Could be a bit unsettling for the side given she’s really the only defensive option Clarke has tried to utilise around stoppages in recent seasons to try and balance the trio of ’see-ball-get-ball’ hunters; Hatchard, Marinoff and Ponter.

Also given historically they only run a thin rotation through that midfield group of 4-5 players it will hopefully mean one of the likes of Boileau, Kustermann or Levy will get a chance to at least try to show that they can provide an impact in that midfield early.
Noffy again being the only one from the club to (inadvertently) provide updates on Charlton’s injury recovery, she showed today via her IG story that Charlton just started running on the AlterG treadmill today so she is still a bit of time away from being ready to return.

Less than a month to go before our first match sim against Port! It will be played at Port Augusta, but will be livestreamed on the club website.

https://www.afl.com.au/aflw/news/1169015/put-em-in-the-diary-pre-season-matches-confirmed

Sunday, August 11
Adelaide v Port Adelaide at Central Oval, Port Augusta, 1pm ACST

Sunday, August 18
Adelaide v Carlton at Thomas Farms Oval, Unley, 1pm ACST

The first match (against Port) will be non-standard with the clubs deciding how many "quarters" to play, and how long each one will be. The second match (against Carlton) will be played under standard rules.

See Amy Boyle-Carr has arrived from Ireland to finally complete the squad, some nice words from her County Donegal teammate and fellow code-hopper Niamh McLaughlin about her in this article, got to appreciate how the Irish support each other especially when they move down here:

Slightly weird they still have said nothing regarding the captaincy yet… given Doc Clarke understandably has more pressing matters on hand other than the football club with his wife’s cancer diagnosis being announced recently I wonder if that might further delay an announcement or they are just waiting until the week before games start.

From social media sleuthing the only clue that maybe gave any hint was from team photo day as if you ignore Hannah Munyard (who obviously just jumped in for the selfie where Clarke would’ve been sitting) both Marinoff and Sarah Allan were the players seated centrally (captain position) for the team photo with Jones and Hatchard either side of them, so probably as suspected it’s either one of them or both of them if they go back to the co-captaincy model. So the players probably already know but it just hasn’t been announced publicly.

IMG_3626.jpeg

1722206787617.gif

Slightly weird they still have said nothing regarding the captaincy yet… given Doc Clarke understandably has more pressing matters on hand other than the football club with his wife’s cancer diagnosis being announced recently I wonder if that might further delay an announcement or they are just waiting until the week before games start.

From social media sleuthing the only clue that maybe gave any hint was from team photo day as if you ignore Hannah Munyard (who obviously just jumped in for the selfie where Clarke would’ve been sitting) both Marinoff and Sarah Allan were the players seated centrally (captain position) for the team photo with Jones and Hatchard either side of them, so probably as suspected it’s either one of them or both of them if they go back to the co-captaincy model. So the players probably already know but it just hasn’t been announced publicly.

View attachment 2062299

View attachment 2062291
Called it a day early…

Marinoff & S.Allan as co-captains

Called it a day early…

Marinoff & S.Allan as co-captains
Strong Leaders.
I'm a fan of hers but I don't see the point in naming a player who's in & out of the side like Najwa in the Leadership Group.
I suppose if it's a player vote you shouldn't really complain. But I don't want to start replicating the mens side.
Based on results it should be the other way around.

Happy for Marinoff that the work she’s put in by setting high standards on & off-field & working closely especially with the younger players on the list over the past couple of years has lead to this appointment. At one point in time it definitely seemed as those in power down there did not see her as a leader but she’s ended up really turning that opinion around.

Think the co-captaincy model will be a good mix of different leadership styles and both will help with what can be seen as weaknesses in each others on-field & off-field leadership. While a cool calm head and a strong organisational leader you did worry that S.Allan struggled a bit with the on-field leadership in recent seasons when she filled in for Randall as she was unable to have a big impact on a game from full-back and also doesn’t seem the type of personality that is overly comfortable with the added off-field commitments that come with captaincy that Marinoff takes to it like a duck to water.

Strong Leaders.
I'm a fan of hers but I don't see the point in naming a player who's in & out of the side like Najwa in the Leadership Group.
I suppose if it's a player vote you shouldn't really complain. But I don't want to start replicating the mens side.
Based on results it should be the other way around.
Agree Najwa’s appointment screams out one of those ‘friend to all’ members you get in these player voted groups, either that or some players spelled ‘Allan’ wrong.

Speaking of Allan’s, Jess Allan in the leadership group after a year back shows those Allan sisters really are admirable stoic standup citizens.

Tickets for all matches (including the round 1 Showdown) are now available for members.

Same deal as last year - you can redeem a ticket to guarantee entry (recommended for the Showdown) or just scan/tap your membership card at the gate (because, unlike Adelaide Oval, the AFLW venues actually use NFC scanners for the tickets).

Full season members get access to all games as part of their membership - including the away Showdown

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely nothing about it on our website, or hell, even the womens.afl website, but we're playing our first trial game tomorrow against Port, up in Port Augusta. Supposedly there will be streams on the club website, hopefully they will then be uploaded somewhere because I'd like to watch it but won't be able to watch it live.

Between AFL, AFLW and SANFL there is way too much Crows to watch in a single day tomorrow.

Presumably the trial match today just isn't going to be livestreamed after all, nothing whatsoever on the Crows or Port websites about it. You wouldn't even know it's being played.

In other news, Stevie-Lee Thompson has been extended until the end of 2025.

Edit: Having read the original article closer, only the practice matches will be livestreamed, not the match sim match which is today. Guess we'll just have to read the report!

Last edited:
Presumably the trial match today just isn't going to be livestreamed after all, nothing whatsoever on the Crows or Port websites about it. You wouldn't even know it's being played.

In other news, Stevie-Lee Thompson has been extended until the end of 2025.

Edit: Having read the original article closer, only the practice matches will be livestreamed, not the match sim match which is today. Guess we'll just have to read the report!
Agree you wouldn't even know it’s happening, the people in Port Augusta probably wondering who’s out there using their oval too.

Massive opportunity to pull a St Kilda/Geelong 1945 style scheme (https://www.saints.com.au/news/709429/footy-scandal-exposed-the-saints-game-that-never-was) and just tell everyone you played a game but instead just go to the pub for lunch and go back home…

By my count 24 playing today from the video, no Charlton & Ballard who were already assumed outs due to their injury recovery but also no J.Allan, Allen, Ponter or Smith.

Good to see Boileau hitting the scoreboard at this level like she does in the SANFLW, big chance for the rising star if she gets a decent crack at it this season.

Hoping Hatchard slotting a couple means she’s spending a fair bit more time forward.

Quiet 3rd quarter but comfortable enough win by the looks of things, looking forward to see what the Carlton game next week looks like to see if anything’s noticeably different at all to last year.

Do we want that? I'd like to see her get back to her midfield best.
I want her forward, even a 60/40 split, with Ponter becoming a permanent fixture at stoppages I feel Hatchard’s role was slightly diminished and Ponter’s work at stoppages became more impactful. Also Hatchard’s one of the only players on the list that can actually mark an inside 50 ball which is something the team got terribly exposed with in the finals plus with her strength she’s a ridiculously hard match up for a defender.

That late specky against North in the prelim when she was moved forward just shows what value she could provide up there also I think both Marinoff and Hatchard would benefit from no longer always going for the same ball as each other.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy 2024 AFC AFLW Pre-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back