Women's Footy 2024 AFC AFLW Pre-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see Boileau hitting the scoreboard at this level like she does in the SANFLW, big chance for the rising star if she gets a decent crack at it this season.

Hoping Hatchard slotting a couple means she’s spending a fair bit more time forward.

Hatchy's a strong big bodied midfield. Our midfield should be: Noffy, Hatchy, Ponter with others rotating through.
And just like Rankine, Ponter is our best forward and kick, so I prefer she have a 60/40 split of midfield/forward.

I want her forward, even a 60/40 split, with Ponter becoming a permanent fixture at stoppages I feel Hatchard’s role was slightly diminished and Ponter’s work at stoppages became more impactful. Also Hatchard’s one of the only players on the list that can actually mark an inside 50 ball which is something the team got terribly exposed with in the finals plus with her strength she’s a ridiculously hard match up for a defender.

That late specky against North in the prelim when she was moved forward just shows what value she could provide up there also I think both Marinoff and Hatchard would benefit from no longer always going for the same ball as each other.

She'd certainly be handy in either spot! For me it's an open question whether our midfield is strong enough without her in there, but I guess there's only one way to find out.

Hatchy's a strong big bodied midfield. Our midfield should be: Noffy, Hatchy, Ponter with others rotating through.
And just like Rankine, Ponter is our best forward and kick, so I prefer she have a 60/40 split of midfield/forward.
I think that midfield trio as good as they are individually just get exposed by the more disciplined and stronger structured midfields like Brisbane and North have and they showed that in the finals when they came up against them, they are all ball hunters they all want to get that same ball as soon as it hits the turf and that leaves them exposed as soon as the opposition get their hand on it or are able to knock it outside to their team’s more athletic runners.

So that’s why it comes down to for mine you either put Ponter back forward and use her on a second rotation basis again around stoppages or you look at Ponter and think she has actually become the more dangerous midfielder and her clearance work roving off Jess Allan first hand is more valuable than the grunt and the rush kick forward that Hatchard provides in and under the contest. AFLW is really a league where your better high-end talent needs to play ahead of the ball which is why I was so desperate for Eloise Jones to go back forward last year which she did and had a good impact, that is probably why I think Hatchard could provide a similar solution with her marking power to some issues that are still in that forward line.

Also like I’ve banged on about for ages there are two main weak points in this team that have been there even when they were making Grand finals and won a flag; their midfield mix/dynamic and their inability to either mark or keep the ball inside 50. They need to find ways to get different/more players through that midfield, Ponter was moved more permanently last year which came pretty much at the expense of nearly all Charlton’s midfield time and ultimately when the midfield couldn’t get the job done against Brisbane and North’s midfield in those games at the end of the season they didn’t have anyone really to turn to to change up the mix. They can’t again this year just roll out Marinoff, Hatchard & Ponter with an occasional appearance from Charlton or Randall for 5 minutes like they did last year they need to find more midfielders and give them some actual decent time in there during the season and that only happens if one of those established stars moves out for a bit.

Last edited:

https://www.afc.com.au/news/1626875...raezFl1tzm3oJ1kPw4_aem_E9u-p_0AosiwAeTbicLwGQ

Write up is up from yesterday’s game, not much in it but probably to be expected given the game had a real glorified training exercise smell about it.

Confirmed Hatchard did play some minutes up forward, Boileau did get a little look in the midfield and given J.Allan didn’t play Tarlinton rucked but rather than also going forward which is why I thought they recruited her given the lack of height up forward they played her in defence like the Eagles did in the SANFLW (she played much better as a forward than defender at that level).

Last edited:
Where did it say Tarlinton went back in defence?

8.10 is a very Crows scoreline. Hopefully we can tidy that up when the real stuff starts!

What are our thoughts on Boyle-Carr? Any chance she will turn out to be another Niamh Kelly?
Under ‘Draftees impress’ Clarke quoted as saying - “I thought all of them showed glimpses, Lily played ruck and then a quarter as a key defender and I thought she competed really hard,”

On Boyle-Carr you’d hope given her clear standout athleticism she could be an interesting prospect if that is this year who knows though, tough to see someone that’s been here 3 weeks breaking in at least in the first half of the season plus if they're looking at playing her at half-back it’s a very competitive spot that’s very plentiful in the squad and she’ll have an even tougher time trying to displace current incumbents of Allen, Thompson & Goodwin that they like to rotate back there, even Randall you think might spend some time there this year.

Where did it say Tarlinton went back in defence?

8.10 is a very Crows scoreline. Hopefully we can tidy that up when the real stuff starts!

What are our thoughts on Boyle-Carr? Any chance she will turn out to be another Niamh Kelly?
Wonder if they're planning to go Jess Allan as main ruck and Tarlinton as backup?

Wonder if they're planning to go Jess Allan as main ruck and Tarlinton as backup?

Possibly, but I doubt it. They used McKinnon in that role, but McKinnon was a best 21 player. I'm assuming that at this stage Tarlinton won't be, although who knows? Seems hard to imagine her playing as a tall defender when we already have Sarah Allan, Biddell and Prowse back there.

I suspect they will run Jess Allan as the main ruck most of the time, and occasionally swap her with Gould if she needs a rest. Then they'll add in an extra running player to replace McKinnon.

The team is in for the practice match tomorrow. 24 players named out of our squad of 30. Of the six not named, four are injured (Allen, Henry, Charlton, Ballard) and two have been left as emergencies (Boyle-Carr, Smith).

B: S.Goodwin 11 Z.Prowse 4
HB: C.Biddell 12 S.Allan (C) 39 B.Tonon 28
C: E.Jones 2 A.Hatchard 33 N.Kelly 23
HF: R.Martin 5 C.Randall 26 M.Newman 17
F: D.Ponter 15 C.Gould 1
Foll: J.Allan 32 E.Marinoff 10 S.Thompson 14
I/C: H.Munyard 6 K.Kustermann 7 K.Mueller 13 J.Waterhouse 19 T.Levy 16 D.Varnhagen 9 L.Tarlinton 21 B.Boileau 3

Emerg: B.Smith 18 A.Boyle-Carr 24

It's a pretty safe bet that the 16 players named on-field are our 16 preferred options, with the interchange used for the remaining players. Tonon and Goodwin both named on the ground in defence over Mueller is interesting, though.

Interesting that Sarah Allan is listed as captain but not Marinoff. I guess they need to nominate one player as the gameday captain?

Apparently Munyard is wearing the #6 guernsey now?

The team is in for the practice match tomorrow. 24 players named out of our squad of 30. Of the six not named, four are injured (Allen, Henry, Charlton, Ballard) and two have been left as emergencies (Boyle-Carr, Smith).

I/C: H.Munyard 6 K.Kustermann 7 K.Mueller 13 J.Waterhouse 19 T.Levy 16 D.Varnhagen 9 L.Tarlinton 21 B.Boileau 3

It's a pretty safe bet that the 16 players named on-field are our 16 preferred options, with the interchange used for the remaining players. Tonon and Goodwin both named on the ground in defence over Mueller is interesting, though.

Interesting that Sarah Allan is listed as captain but not Marinoff. I guess they need to nominate one player as the gameday captain?

Najwa Allen’s out for up to a month too with that hamstring, pity about Henry’s shoulder was hoping to see her in action.

Not pointing to much rotation in the squad to squeeze out that extra 10%

Need to find a way to get Kustermann and Boileau into the main 21, and Goodwin out of a back pocket role up the field

Not pointing to much rotation in the squad to squeeze out that extra 10%

Need to find a way to get Kustermann and Boileau into the main 21, and Goodwin out of a back pocket role up the field
Strong agree, also I’m not to enamoured with where some players have been named, really think Randall forward just didn’t work last season especially when the ball hits the deck she’s a bit of a liability and Tonon should be played forward as she has always struggled off half back.

So Biddell forward is the move Clarke has made for this match, already kicked the first 2. Interesting move to take your All-Australian defender to repurpose her back as a forward.

Carlton look a fair few rungs below them early.

Randall already looks like she’ll be more midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boileau already showing her marking skills whilst being played forward, Levy also playing as a forward. Munyard looks to be playing that halfback role she was switched to late last year, Tonon halfback as well 🫤.

Boileau already showing her marking skills whilst being played forward, Levy also playing as a forward. Munyard looks to be playing that halfback role she was switched to late last year, Tonon halfback as well 🫤.
Munyard has looked a bit more urgent and involved so far than I'm used to from her.

Pressure all over the ground is a bit much for Carlton. Not sure if that will translate to the Brisbane/Melbourne/North type opponents though. We're still fairly scrappy with our ball use.

Carlton kick their first goal on the Q1 siren. Score is 20-7 at quarter time.

Qtr time thoughts:
  • Boileau looks like she’s already settled in nicely, with her build and smarts already looks like a seasoned pro.
  • As that quarter went on the more sense you got they are really ‘robbing Peter to pay Paul’ if they are going to permanently play Biddell forward
  • Looks like they are trying to find players best positions moving forward, Munyard, Kustermann & Thompson all thrown around those halfback & wing roles
  • Marinoff just hits the ground running year after year, kicking was excellent
  • As was the case last season even though she is better served playing forward still need to get Jones more involved
  • Waterhouse still very mistake prone

Munyard has looked a bit more urgent and involved so far than I'm used to from her.
I thought she had a good first quarter. I thought it was Newman at first, but couldn't remember who was our number 6.
Qtr time thoughts:
  • Boileau looks like she’s already settled in nicely, with her build and smarts already looks like a seasoned pro.
  • As that quarter went on the more sense you got they are really ‘robbing Peter to pay Paul’ if they are going to permanently play Biddell forward
  • Looks like they are trying to find players best positions moving forward, Munyard, Kustermann & Thompson all thrown around those halfback & wing roles
  • Marinoff just hits the ground running year after year, kicking was excellent
  • As was the case last season even though she is better served playing forward still need to get Jones more involved
  • Waterhouse still very mistake prone
  • What position is Boileau playing? I only saw her mark inside 50 and her shot on goal didn't make distance nor was it accurate.
  • Biddell playing forward seems to be working, but is Gould playing? Looks like Biddell is playing that role (forward plus rucking up forward)
  • EJ is too good to not get involved in the play. Not sure what her best position is. Wing? Deep forward? Half forward? EJ had a mark inside 50 and could've made the distance, but she passed it off to someone who still couldn't make the distance.

I thought she had a good first quarter. I thought it was Newman at first, but couldn't remember who was our number 6.

• What position is Boileau playing? I only saw her mark inside 50 and her shot on goal didn't make distance nor was it accurate.
  • Biddell playing forward seems to be working, but is Gould playing? Looks like Biddell is playing that role (forward plus rucking up forward)
  • EJ is too good to not get involved in the play. Not sure what her best position is. Wing? Deep forward? Half forward? EJ had a mark inside 50 and could've made the distance, but she passed it off to someone who still couldn't make the distance.
Boileau looks permanent forward but is rolling a bit higher this quarter.

Yeah with no Gould out there will be interesting if Biddell forward is just out of necessity.

Boileau looks permanent forward but is rolling a bit higher this quarter.

Yeah with no Gould out there will be interesting if Biddell forward is just out of necessity.
Gould was listed to play though.

Biddell or Randall can play that tall forward role IMO, but maybe they don't want Randall throwing her body into packs or ruck contests this early in the season. Good to know that if Gould is out, we have options up forward.

Halftime thoughts:

• Seems they are going to stick to that heavy handball game-plan of last year, came unstuck a bit that quarter but kept persisting with it
  • Jeez I’ve missed that Maddi Newman leg 😮‍💨, some of Marinoff passes elite too
  • Like Clarke throwing the magnets around, Prowse thrown forward late (which I’m more a fan of instead of Biddell)
  • Levy’s ability to be clean below her knees is so good, hope they find a spot for her.
  • Munyard looks like she’s had very good pre-season, running on top of the ground & showing some flair
  • Tried to play ‘small ball’ up forward that quarter and it looked like the same confused, clogged mess we’ve seen in previous years. Need key pillars down there to keep structure.
  • Kustermann has a lot of ability but just fumbles too much when brought up to this level
  • Ability to leave an opponent to intercept the standout that quarter, Allan sisters and Mueller especially good.

Halftime thoughts:

• Seems they are going to stick to that heavy handball game-plan of last year, came unstuck a bit that quarter but kept persisting with it
  • Jeez I’ve missed that Maddi Newman leg 😮‍💨, some of Marinoff passes elite too
  • Like Clarke throwing the magnets around, Prowse thrown forward late (which I’m more a fan of instead of Biddell)
  • Levy’s ability to be clean below her knees is so good, hope they find a spot for her.
  • Munyard looks like she’s had very good pre-season, running on top of the ground & showing some flair
  • Tried to play ‘small ball’ up forward that quarter and it looked like the same confused, clogged mess we’ve seen in previous years. Need key pillars down there to keep structure.
  • Kustermann has a lot of ability but just fumbles too much when brought up to this level
  • Ability to leave an opponent to intercept the standout that quarter, Allan sisters and Mueller especially good.
Thanks for the wrap... just tuning in now!

Start of the 3rd; Biddell back in defence, Randall back in the middle but dropping back in an opposite of Ponter role, Prowse & Hatchard forward.

Boyle-Carr having a run off half-back, first look at Tarlington too & Varnhagen also brought in.

Midfield getting a bit exposed going the other way.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy 2024 AFC AFLW Pre-Season Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back