Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

How many tickets do Carlton have available for Marvel tickets these days? Is it possible that Carlton and Essendon games could become fully locked out games?
No, in short. They sell too many GA memberships to do this, otherwise they’d lose too many members that can’t afford reserved seats.

No, in short. They sell too many GA memberships to do this, otherwise they’d lose too many members that can’t afford reserved seats.

How many non reserve seats / GA would be available for Carlton or Essendon matches as part of their membership packages. Would Carlton even have 5,000 tickets to sell to a game like today?

I wonder if the AFL would consider increasing the capacity the next time they do a stadium upgrade

How many non reserve seats / GA would be available for Carlton or Essendon matches as part of their membership packages. Would Carlton even have 5,000 tickets to sell to a game like today?

I wonder if the AFL would consider increasing the capacity the next time they do a stadium upgrade
speaking for Essendon as I’m more across what they do.. it’s GA seating is only on level 3. Set aside the back 1/3 of seats on level 3 for GA members on the day. This means about ~3,000 seats set aside (7 rows x 45 bays).

These seats aside, Essendon also sell about 300 level 2 seats which would be excess corporate / coterie seats which get released to market 7-10 days prior to game. Then they release about 6-700 reserved seat returns on the Wednesday arvo game week.

That means they really only have about 4,000 seats to sell to public for any game.

I’d say Carlton would be vaguely the same.

Thats why club member, Medallion Club show rates ultimately determine the crowd on the day.

On Friday night, Essendon were on track to sellout all reserved seats on Tuesday, then sales really slowed. I assume rain forecast. They probably had about 1,500 seats they didn’t sell attributed to likely rain. And with a poor member show rate, reduced GA member (and lower walkup), complicated by the tech issue on the night meant 40-41k (tracking) ultimately was 36,000.

It’s all quite interesting how things play out.

Im not even sure they can without ticking off the Government and its vested interest in the MCG.
Good point. They’ve apparently just spent $250m on the joint and you’d wonder what they did! That’s my biased view btw.

The ROI is an issue. To build back, say another 10 rows up on level 3, would require lots of work with the roof too. It’d be very expensive for what would be essentially adding another ~9,000 seats. To deliver an ROI you’d need to work out how to increase the stadium yield I reckon… Put a medical imaging service inside the venue? Create a 7 day a week hospitality offering etc.

Good point. They’ve apparently just spent $250m on the joint and you’d wonder what they did! That’s my biased view btw.

The ROI is an issue. To build back, say another 10 rows up on level 3, would require lots of work with the roof too. It’d be very expensive for what would be essentially adding another ~9,000 seats. To deliver an ROI you’d need to work out how to increase the stadium yield I reckon… Put a medical imaging service inside the venue? Create a 7 day a week hospitality offering etc.

Probably could bite the bullet and build a fully transparent ETFE pillow roof ala Hobart and the NFL stadiums. Would solve the light issue and potentially increase the capacity at the same time. But that's for a different board…

Last edited:
Probably could bit the bullet and build a fully transparent ETFE pillow roof ala Hobart and the NFL stadiums. Would solve the light issue and potentially increase the capacity at the same time. But that's for a different board…
That’s true. It’s such a concrete dungeon. It’s amazing how quickly it’s aged from a naked eye perspective.

Docklands is what it is - we have to accept that.

It's far more likely an entirely new stadium gets built before any major changes are made, and I guess that that new stadium will be in the Richmond precinct, somewhere, too.

And it's far more likely the Shane Warne stand gets knocked down and rebuilt before a new stadium gets built, so there's that.

Probably could bite the bullet and build a fully transparent ETFE pillow roof ala Hobart and the NFL stadiums. Would solve the light issue and potentially increase the capacity at the same time. But that's for a different board…

That would bring back the issue of the sun coming in from the wrong direction, the whole reason every game has the roof shut now days is to avoid this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would bring back the issue of the sun coming in from the wrong direction, the whole reason every game has the roof shut now days is to avoid this.

A new roof sheet doesn’t have to have a 100% transparency though. There would be a product with a happy medium visual light transition, which provides natural light without too much glare.

42,215 at Perth Stadium fro Freo vs Demons.
That’s pretty good considering The crowd looked a bit ordinary at the start of the game, so alot of people have turned up late.

Just noticed this was the earliest time slot the Dockers have played at Optus (1.20pm), there has been 1 game at 2pm (last month) and another at 2.15pm (Covid) every other game has been at least a 2.35pm kickoff.

So maybe some people didn’t realise the early start.

That’s pretty good considering The crowd looked a bit ordinary at the start of the game, so alot of people have turned up late.

Just noticed this was the earliest time slot the Dockers have played at Optus (1.20pm), there has been 1 game at 2pm (last month) and another at 2.15pm (Covid) every other game has been at least a 2.35pm kickoff.

So maybe some people didn’t realise the early start.

Train delays occurred as people were arriving.
IMG_4253.jpeg

IMG_4254.jpeg

That’s true. It’s such a concrete dungeon. It’s amazing how quickly it’s aged from a naked eye perspective.

I mean, it’s a quarter of a century old.

Since it was built, Subiaco and Footy Park have been demolished and replaced, Kardinia Park completely rebuilt, Gabba upgraded (and due again), SCG upgraded, half the MCG rebuilt from scratch.

Docklands was state of the art at the time, but times change. Stadiums/stands generally have a 25-30 year lifespan before major change is needed, and I think it’s held up pretty well.

It hasn’t necessarily aged poorly, I just think other stadiums have moved past it and there’s nothing major you can really do with it to justify the cost.

The GSS/Shane Warne Stand is only 7 years older than it, and that’s absolutely aged like ass in comparison - far more of a concrete grot dungeon.

I mean, it’s a quarter of a century old.

Since it was built, Subiaco and Footy Park have been demolished and replaced, Kardinia Park completely rebuilt, Gabba upgraded (and due again), SCG upgraded, half the MCG rebuilt from scratch.

Docklands was state of the art at the time, but times change. Stadiums/stands generally have a 25-30 year lifespan before major change is needed, and I think it’s held up pretty well.

It hasn’t necessarily aged poorly, I just think other stadiums have moved past it and there’s nothing major you can really do with it to justify the cost.

The GSS/Shane Warne Stand is only 7 years older than it, and that’s absolutely aged like ass in comparison - far more of a concrete grot dungeon.

which is why they went to the Vic Gov for 225m in funding for upgrades and updates in 2018.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back