Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Last week the Tigers probably had 15-18k at Marvel for an away game. I wouldn’t have thought getting close to 20k Tigers would be an unreasonable expectation? Or is there a Dusty ‘drop off’ which was probably heightened last week?

You’d hope for 25k+ but who knows.

Bombers / Suns sales the slowest comfortably for the year for the Dons. Combo of Saturday night (not family friendly) and fans not reengaged likely factors. One quarter last week hasn’t changed the narrative among fans that the season finished after the Saints loss. It’s all about trust with our mob.

If 19,000 turned up V GWS at the G,
I can’t see 15,000 turning up tomorrow, would require a good away saints rollout to be 25,000+

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Carlton v Hawthorn pretty much sold out for public tickets.

The AFL Members is up to the back third of the top deck.
I have no idea why they have stopped selling reserve seating (since Thursday) - with Q1-Q7 and Q31-36 fully open tomorrow.

I got a MCC reserve seat today - with only tickets left in the gods. So hopefully 80,000-plus (PAX was 74,000). Will depend if Carlton’s indifferent form leads to a softer turnout though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, not that the afl cares though. Sat night is the worst timeslot for crowds by a long long way.
The Melbourne v GWS and Port Adelaide scheduling makes no sense.

Neither was going to be a high drawing fixture for the TV networks - and could easily have been pushed into the 4.40pm slot (allowing for Seven to run the coverage into the news in SA and NSW).

It probably cost the AFL 22,000 to 25,000 attendance to both games.

The Melbourne v GWS and Port Adelaide scheduling makes no sense.

Neither was going to be a high drawing fixture for the TV networks - and could easily have been pushed into the 4.40pm slot (allowing for Seven to run the coverage into the news in SA and NSW).

It probably cost the AFL 22,000 to 25,000 attendance to both games.

How do you run the coverage into the news at 4.40 when the news starts at 6pm? You're lucky if 7 puts a game on the main channel even at night in Sydney, let alone if it had to push the news back an hour.

Still got the Adelaide vs Bulldogs game to add for this round, but I had some time this morning to compile this whilst I could, and I don’t know if I would have had the time to do it later.

How big are teams home crowds averages when played in their home city (so excluding Hobart, Ballarat, Alice Springs etc and excluding Gather Round), when you only include games vs interstate teams.

IMG_4793.jpeg

IMG_4792.jpeg

Edit: my apologies, I’ve just noticed I mis-spelt Collingwood.

Still got the Adelaide vs Bulldogs game to add for this round, but I had some time this morning to compile this whilst I could, and I don’t know if I would have had the time to do it later.

How big are teams home crowds averages when played in their home city (so excluding Hobart, Ballarat, Alice Springs etc and excluding Gather Round), when you only include games vs interstate teams.

View attachment 2075705

View attachment 2075704

Edit: my apologies, I’ve just noticed I mis-spelt Collingwood.
The contrast between Gold Coast and GWS' numbers are very stark here

Excellent effort from Freo as well

84,773 at the MCG.
I called it! A massive roll up in the MCC but some empty seats in the AFL members.

Early Sunday is the sweet spot for MCG games between the big Victorian teams.

I really hope the Hawks don’t get prime time games next year - would love heaps of these day games. Ditto Richmond in the members appreciation round next week.

Also, after drawing 66,000 in 2022 and 2023 and now 84,000, its time to end the Carlton v Hawthorn games at Marvel.

Last edited:
Todays 84,773 at the MCG gives Carlton its highest home match attendance ever with 597,574 attending 10 home matches at a record average of 59,757 per game - with a home match against St Kilda to come.This match also gives the Blues a record home and away attendance of 1.184 million with 5,607 needed against West Coast next week to set a new away attendance record for the club.

Todays 84,773 at the MCG is the 10th game this season to reach over 80,000 and the 6th involving Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back