Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, I think so as well. Almost every final from that point onwards has massively outperformed any equivalent final from pre 2016.

And nothing brings a finals crowd like a team that hasn't been there for a while. Hawthorn hasn't won a final in 9 years, if they get an MCG one it would be big anyway, and this year it might be the only one on Melbourne so the AFL and MCC will be packed.
I think it goes back further to the Richmond v North Melbourne final the year before. It's obvious in hindsight that it would sell out but I don't think it was guaranteed at the time that big Vic vs Small Vic would always sell out.

In 2014 i think 5 finals were played at the G and none of them reached 80k, this includes Essendon v North (bombers first chance at finals win in a decade) and hawks v cats.
2014 MCG Finals (excluding the GF).

QF (Hawthorn vs Geelong) = 74,757
EF (North Melbourne vs Essendon) = 78,561
SF (Geelong vs North Melbourne) = 65,964
PF (Hawthorn vs Port Adelaide) = 74,856

You'd think these days any mcg final would get over 70k when looking at last year and the saints v giants.
Don't think this is true... there was a lot of incentive for Saints fans to turn up last year with that being our first home final in 12 years.

There will still be sub 60k MCG finals, especially for smaller Victorian clubs with recent success against interstate clubs.

2014 MCG Finals (excluding the GF).

QF (Hawthorn vs Geelong) = 74,757
EF (North Melbourne vs Essendon) = 78,561
SF (Geelong vs North Melbourne) = 65,964
PF (Hawthorn vs Port Adelaide) = 74,856
I think it's fair to say that each of these games would be noticeably bigger if played today. We are definitely in a new era when it comes to crowds at finals.

Dyson Heppell get a farewell game? If they were smart, they would give him one this Friday night and get as many Bombers members/fans to say au revoir to a loveable team player. This will surely bump up the crowd and the mood of our supporters.

Dyson Heppell get a farewell game? If they were smart, they would give him one this Friday night and get as many Bombers members/fans to say au revoir to a loveable team player. This will surely bump up the crowd and the mood of our supporters.
I’d like to agree with this, but I don’t unfortunately. I still won’t be attending Friday night, and afraid to say many others won’t as well.

Where would a GWS home final v Swans final be held? In front of 70k @ ACCOR or 21k @ Showgrounds?
They could host Sydney in a prelim and ACCOR will be free that weekend.
The 2016 qualifying final was at Stadium Australia in front of 60,222.

The 2018 elimination final was at the SCG in front of 40,350.

The 2021 elimination final was at York Park in front of 8,635.

The AFL hosts finals, not the home club. Which is why the AFL gets to decide finals venues.

The ‘rule’ the AFL seems to use in Victoria is that finals are played at the largest available venue in the State, (i.e. why Geelong and Dockland tenants have to play their finals at the MCG even if they are the higher ranked team).

It would seem for Sydney, it would be Stadium Australia than the SCG then Showgrounds. In Sydney being a single city that seems reasonable enough.

It poses the question, if Gold Coast are ever the higher ranked finals team, will they get to play at Carrara Stadium, or will they be made to play at the Gabba in Brisbane. In a similar situation to Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 2016 qualifying final was at Stadium Australia in front of 60,222.

The 2018 elimination final was at the SCG in front of 40,350.

The 2021 elimination final was at York Park in front of 8,635.

The AFL hosts finals, not the home club. Which is why the AFL gets to decide finals venues.

The ‘rule’ the AFL seems to use in Victoria is that finals are played at the largest available venue in the State, (i.e. why Geelong and Dockland tenants have to play their finals at the MCG even if they are the higher ranked team).

It would seem for Sydney, it would be Stadium Australia than the SCG then Showgrounds. In Sydney being a single city that seems reasonable enough.

It poses the question, if Gold Coast are ever the higher ranked finals team, will they get to play at Carrara Stadium, or will they be made to play at the Gabba in Brisbane. In a similar situation to Geelong.

I'd say this is very unlikely, swans fans have a bit of a Richmond fans thing with marvel when it comes to the Olympic stadium. I think all the northern clubs will just play at their home ground, regardless of capacity.

Should be a new record attendance (for SUNS v Melbourne at Carrara) - but may depend on weather.
current record is 13840

Club doing a bring a friend deal and GA tickets at $25 so sales may be slow and this is an attempt to get some people through the gate

GC aren't anywhere close to being big enough to sell out Metricon Stadium, and the Gabba is much further away for only a 10k increase in capacity.

Swans Home Finals are contracted to be played at the SCG, which I have repeated on here before. The AFL are party to that contract so we won't be playing any of our Home Finals at Accor Stadium. What happens if its a Giants home game is between the Giants and the AFL and likely down to ground availability and what the Giants want.

The Hawks v Dogs SF in 2016 was the turning point for me, in terms of maximising finals crowds at the MCG. If the Hawks are involved at the G this year, it’s a guaranteed 90,000+ crowd.

Geelong v Brisbane in 2022, getting 77,000 is still a massive result. Potentially could’ve pushed 80,000 if it was played on the Saturday twilight.

Dyson was a great club figure but not revered like some others. I’m not sure people will decide to go to see him farewelled. If they were going half decent they might’ve. I think they’ll be happy to see it on the box.

The last 5 Hawks MCG finals have drawn 86,000 plus - including the Dogs v Hawks Semi Final in 2016.

Any final at the MCG will draw a massive crowd - but I doubt well be in Melbourne (if we make it)
It looks quite likely to be in Melbourne. Hawthorn will probably finish either 6th (home final) or 7th behind the Bulldogs (WB v Hawthorn in Wk 1).

Where would a GWS home final v Swans final be held? In front of 70k @ ACCOR or 21k @ Showgrounds?
They could host Sydney in a prelim and ACCOR will be free that weekend.
Someone from the Swans with more knowledge can provide more details, but I understand that Swans contractually play all their games in SCG, including the finals?

Someone from the Swans with more knowledge can provide more details, but I understand that Swans contractually play all their games in SCG, including the finals?
The question was about a Giants home final. 21k at Showgrounds, locking 50k out would be ridiculous. The whole point of the Giants is to grow the game west of Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back