Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Can't compare Hawthorn to North/Melbourne/Dogs selling games. Especially Melbourne because it is always only 1 game and our replacement home game is guaranteed to be at the G.

Hawthorn has 4 games in Tasmania plus a Marvel home gam which means your fan base only gets a maximum of 6 true home games at the MCG. Plus, some of Hawthorn's replacement home games are at Marvel.
Pretty sure you only get 9 games at the MCG compared to the 13+ Richmond/Melbourne/Collingwood get this year.
Hence, you can expect to see bigger crowds at the G because you only play there once every 2.5 weeks.
Your point is? You have no data to prove that its crowds would be smaller? Also, North do play 4 games in Tasmania too (last time I checked?)

Certainly if you look at the teams that Hawthorn play in Melbourne compared to Tasmania the crowds are easily 20,000 or more larger in Melbourne. And for a team that has been off broadway for years, to draw 65,000 plus to half of our MCG games is pretty impressive.

But I agree in one sense, that Tasmania no longer works when the members are locked out of multiple ‘replacement games’ or herded around like cattle after the AFL and Hawks decide to close half the stadium (ie the ‘home’ game vs Brisbane at Marvel). And the blame for this lies squarely with the Hawthorn administration which had been complacent and lazy for 20 years.

Hawthorn’s crowds are actually larger now, as a bottom 4-6 team they they were during the early years of the three-peat era. No doubt driven by the success in the 1970s and 1980s. They should be pushing for more MCG games and not kicking around with Launceston or Cairns

Last edited:
Just spoke to Hawthorn about tickets - even though tickets are no longer available to the general public, there are heaps left for Hawks and Pies members. Just enter your barcode if you want to pre-book or roll up - they don’t expect it will be a full house.
So same as last year. I have no idea why they would do that. Unless they are concerned that GA will sell out before members can use seats?

The only thing ill add to this is, 2014 was a hawks premiership year whereas for Richmond it'll be a wooden spoon year lol
Good point!

Hawthorn’s crowds jumped a lot during their era too. They drew 84,000 against Collingwood, 65,000 against the Cats, 28,000 against the Saints, 23,000 against the Suns and 50,000 against the Eagles in a 6 week stretch in 2012.

So same as last year. I have no idea why they would do that. Unless they are concerned that GA will sell out before members can use seats?
Seems strange. No wonder Cats v Pies only got 73k. It’s not really a sell out. Reckon the club/Ticketek/ AFL could communicate that better.

Your point is? You have no data to prove that its crowds would be smaller? Also, North do play 4 games in Tasmania too (last time I checked?)

Certainly if you look at the teams that Hawthorn play in Melbourne compared to Tasmania the crowds are easily 20,000 or more larger in Melbourne. And for a team that has been off broadway for years, to draw 65,000 plus to half of our MCG games is pretty impressive.

But I agree in one sense, that Tasmania no longer works when the members are locked out of multiple ‘replacement games’ or herded around like cattle after the AFL and Hawks decide to close half the stadium (ie the ‘home’ game vs Brisbane at Marvel). And the blame for this lies squarely with the Hawthorn administration which had been complacent and lazy for 20 years.

Hawthorn’s crowds are actually larger now, as a bottom 4-6 team they they were during the early years of the three-peat era. No doubt driven by the success in the 1970s and 1980s. They should be pushing for more MCG games and not kicking around with Launceston or Cairns
Just on Hawks crowds being stronger now than early in the three Premiership era, I’d argue almost all teams crowds are up compared to 15 years ago. This is the games great achievement.

MCC restricted members now get into the G, this has had a considerable positive impact on MCG crowds the last 7-8 years. The MCC reserve is 75%+ full for any biggish game now, never so prior to these ‘members’ getting access. 3 game memberships, many standard home game memberships now add on GA access to away games etc. ‘Kids Go Free’… It goes on. My team, a team that’s had a 20 year period only possibly Carlton could empathise with, is getting better crowds than in the early 2000’s for many games. No final win (not one!) for 20 years.

Hawks crowds are impressive. The Hawks, like most clubs I’d say, are seeing strong crowds in recent years during a time when crowds generally have shot up thanks to the game enticing fans to go more often with great incentives and promotions.

Just on Hawks crowds being stronger now than early in the three Premiership era, I’d argue almost all teams crowds are up compared to 15 years ago. This is the games great achievement.

MCC restricted members now get into the G, this has had a considerable positive impact on MCG crowds the last 7-8 years. The MCC reserve is 75%+ full for any biggish game now, never so prior to these ‘members’ getting access. 3 game memberships, many standard home game memberships now add on GA access to away games etc. ‘Kids Go Free’… It goes on. My team, a team that’s had a 20 year period only possibly Carlton could empathise with, is getting better crowds than in the early 2000’s for many games. No final win (not one!) for 20 years.

Hawks crowds are impressive. The Hawks, like most clubs I’d say, are seeing strong crowds in recent years during a time when crowds generally have shot up thanks to the game enticing fans to go more often with great incentives and promotions.
Agreed. Which makes it farcical why one of the wealthiest clubs in the competition is obsessed with playing games in small markets - when their crowds are growing far larger than the median (hence pre 2007 compared to today).

For example, after 2007, Hawthorn’s third best home crowd ever was 55,019 against Essendon (in late 2007). That was lower than Melbourne, Geelong and even North Melbourne and the Dogs! But that's an argument for another time.
Seems strange. No wonder Cats v Pies only got 73k. It’s not really a sell out. Reckon the club/Ticketek/ AFL could communicate that better.
I know this has been posted before but as it stands tickets are exhausted. Which to me is crazy as this is probably peak purchase decision time.

9FDCBEF5-38DF-4E08-A4B1-1DDC51565DDB.png

Just spoke to Hawthorn about tickets - even though tickets are no longer available to the general public, there are heaps left for Hawks and Pies members. Just enter your barcode if you want to pre-book or roll up - they don’t expect it will be a full house.
So basically what they did for the Richmond/Hawks game.

Will this one have walkup for GA/ hawks members?

Didn't know where to post this exactly, but because it's about the 2024 Grand Final I thought it might be relevant here.

The GF allocation for competing club members increases by 1,000 tickets.

Just had a look at ticket sales for Bombers / Crows. On sales alone it’s tracking at that 40-41k type speed.

The forecast is for steady rain from about 3-4pm with gusty winds. Basically nasty!. Thus it will have a significant impact on the GA member walkup and reserved seat holders who’ve paid upfront and would be less likely to want to bother getting wet to and from the game.

Could be as low as 32-34k if the weather transpires as it currently stands.

Point is (and directly related to your question about swelling) that Hawthorn only have 6 home games at their home ground. That is, 6 home games for members to sit in their reserved seats and more likely that they would actually do so.

Melbourne still have 10 home games at the G so there is less reason for everyone to show up because 1 game isn't at the G.

Didn't know where to post this exactly, but because it's about the 2024 Grand Final I thought it might be relevant here.

The GF allocation for competing club members increases by 1,000 tickets.

A very small move in the right direction

Agreed. Which makes it farcical why one of the wealthiest clubs in the competition is obsessed with playing games in small markets - when their crowds are growing far larger than the median (hence pre 2007 compared to today).

For example, after 2007, Hawthorn’s third best home crowd ever was 55,019 against Essendon (in late 2007). That was lower than Melbourne, Geelong and even North Melbourne and the Dogs! But that's an argument for another time.

I know this has been posted before but as it stands tickets are exhausted. Which to me is crazy as this is probably peak purchase decision time.

View attachment 2050634
Not quite true. Off the top of my head we had 93k v Pies 1981 and 72k v Swans last game @ Waverley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marginally cheaper to go to the footy now too. A general admission ticket in 2009, the year after Hawks' first flag, was $20. An $11 game membership $170. $27 and $230 in 2024. If following inflation, it would put those at about $29 and $250, which in absolute percentage terms (10ish% cheaper) is not meaningless.

Point is (and directly related to your question about swelling) that Hawthorn only have 6 home games at their home ground. That is, 6 home games for members to sit in their reserved seats and more likely that they would actually do so.

Melbourne still have 10 home games at the G so there is less reason for everyone to show up because 1 game isn't at the G.
Maybe Melbourne shouldn't have 10 home games given they are the smaller club? A fit-for-purpose stadium strategy makes more sense. More Essendon and Carlton games at the MCG means less lock outs too. Of course this probably means a 6/5 MCG to Marvel split for Hawthorn which I'm okay with too.

Last edited:
Maybe Melbourne shouldn't have 10 home games given they are the smaller club? A fit-for-purpose stadium strategy makes more sense. More Essendon and Carlton games at the MCG means less lock outs too. Of course this probably means a 6/5 MCG to Marvel split for Hawthorn which I'm okay with too.
Please don't start the "let's move the Melbourne Football Club (aligned with the MCC) away from the ground the MCC manages" argument.

Please don't start the "let's move the Melbourne Football Club (aligned with the MCC) away from the ground the MCC manages" argument.

Melbourne’s value to the MCC only lasts so long as it has the overwhelming support base in the reserve. But the gap to Essendon, Collingwood (and even Carlton, Richmond and Hawthorn) is shrinking as the reserve opens up. I’ve noticed it myself at matches over the last 20 years. In addition Melbourne has by far the smallest AFL membership of the traditional clubs which makes them very vulnerable.

Who would be more valuable to the MCC as a tenant club? Essendon which is #2 and #3 for MCC and AFL members or Melbourne? Ditto Carlton. Richmond and Hawthorn also have far more club members (not just MFC / MCC co-members) and AFL members. Then there is Geelong (although they say they want 11 games back at Kardina Park) and the Saints, who probably want the Geelong 2 marquee game deal.

There is going to be a massive log jam for spots when Essendon and Carlton’s agreements at Marvel expire. Which is why I think a sensible right-stadium for the right match strategy is the way to go.
81 was a home game,

I stand corrected. My point still stands about attendances, up until 2008, MCG games never drew more than 54,000, including a Semi Final in 2000.

Last edited:
I’ve tried to do some digging, and so far in 2024, these Collingwood matches have been public sell outs.
-R0 v GWS
-R1 v Syd
-R3 v Bris
-R4 v Haw
-R7 v Ess
-R8 v Carl
-R11 v Fre
-R12 v WB
-R13 v Melb
-R14 v NM
-R16 v GC
-R17 v Ess
-R18 v Geel
-R19 v Haw
-R21 v Carl

Which leaves the only matches to not sell out as R2 v StK, R6 v Port, R9 v WCE, R10 v Adel.

Incredible effort.

Just had a look at ticket sales for Bombers / Crows. On sales alone it’s tracking at that 40-41k type speed.

The forecast is for steady rain from about 3-4pm with gusty winds. Basically nasty!. Thus it will have a significant impact on the GA member walkup and reserved seat holders who’ve paid upfront and would be less likely to want to bother getting wet to and from the game.

Could be as low as 32-34k if the weather transpires as it currently stands.
Indoors really means the weather shouldn’t make a huge difference. Whether it does or not, I don’t know.

I’ve tried to do some digging, and so far in 2024, these Collingwood matches have been public sell outs.
-R0 v GWS
-R1 v Syd
-R3 v Bris
-R4 v Haw
-R7 v Ess
-R8 v Carl
-R11 v Fre
-R12 v WB
-R13 v Melb
-R14 v NM
-R16 v GC
-R17 v Ess
-R18 v Geel
-R19 v Haw
-R21 v Carl

Which leaves the only matches to not sell out as R2 v StK, R6 v Port, R9 v WCE, R10 v Adel.

Incredible effort.

Not so much to do with our supporters but Round 22 v Sydney at the SCG is already sold out as well.

-R0 v GWS
-R1 v Syd
-R3 v Bris
-R4 v Haw
-R7 v Ess
-R8 v Carl
-R11 v Fre
-R12 v WB
-R13 v Melb
-R14 v NM
-R16 v GC
-R17 v Ess
-R18 v Geel
-R19 v Haw
-R21 v Carl

Incredible effort.
Now that nearly every club has more members than their stadiums can hold, a public sellout means little these days. Hawks have 80k members, but there are only 45k non AFL or MCC seats at the MCG. Half of those are reserved. They need to keep some for other members, so maybe only 10k- 15k public seats have actually been sold for this week’s game.

Q6 in the Warne Stand and Q38-39 in the MCC have been opened up for public reserved seats for Haw/Coll.

Also, all the AFL Members seats in the top deck are gone - there must have been a surge in selling yesterday as it doesn't look like they were opened up to the public.

It's a confusing game - pre sales are consistent with a near 80k crowd but logic says it won't be anywhere near that. I'm still thinking 70k would be a terrific amount.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back