Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

The only comparable turnout I can think of was the 88k for Essendon vs Richmond in 2007 for Sheedy and Hird’s last game in Rd21 when both team’s seasons were over. And today’s crowd was better.
Essendon were still in the finals race going into that match. If they'd won they would've been out of the finals only percentage behind Adelaide.

Essendon were still in the finals race going into that match. If they'd won they would've been out of the finals only percentage behind Adelaide.
Back in 2007 MCC Provisional members didn’t have access to the reserve. That night the top deck of the MCC was only about 75% full. These days the MCC is being filled for games that used to only have about 60-70% usage. Today’s game a case in point.

It’s been a game changer and one of the reasons why we’re seeing such impressive MCG crowds that smash expectations. This change is MCC access means we’re regularly seeing 5-10K extra people attending games at the G.

See below at coin toss, look how vacant the MCC is!
IMG_0639.jpeg

Last edited:
Just a little reminder of the might of the Tiger Army with the talk of the “big 3” this year.

Insane! - well Done Tiger Army.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I was going to mention the “Army”.. jeez there’s nothing quite like a passionate Tiger crowd and boy oh boy didn’t they show they are still mighty this afternoon. Well done Tiger fans! You deserve the plaudits.
Hoping my bombers can replicate this type of crowd soon!

Holy Shit! How did they get past 90k?

Easy the tiger army love him and it didn't matter if we were 17th, it was all about the great man. The result didn't go our way but I don't think it even mattered to us in the end we just had to be there to celebrate Dusty's 300th, I felt so proud.

How about the fist goal by dusty you couldn't have scripted it any better. Wonder what he was paying for first goal.

I was going to mention the “Army”.. jeez there’s nothing quite like a passionate Tiger crowd and boy oh boy didn’t they show they are still mighty this afternoon. Well done Tiger fans! You deserve the plaudits.
Hoping my bombers can replicate this type of crowd soon!
There were plenty of Hawks supporters there as well. Not like they were playing GWS or Gold Coast.

Just a little reminder of the might of the Tiger Army with the talk of the “big 3” this year.

Insane! - well Done Tiger Army.

I was thinking last week if it gets 80K it would be a great crowd but when I got into the ground and saw the top deck in all stands "last rows" being filled through out, thought to myself, this might top 90K. So to get 92,311 was insane.

I think all the talk of the blues, pies and bombers more so all being in the 8 at the same time and getting very good crowds. How would it be if the tigers were also in the 8 and all big 4 clubs playing each other, good luck trying to get a ticket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were plenty of Hawks supporters there as well. Not like they were playing GWS or Gold Coast.

Yes the hawks were well represented but lets not kid ourselves the vast majority were Richmond supporters who literally packed out the joint for Dusty's 300th

When I attended Ess v rich, for hird and sheeds farewell game my tiges were well represented too but the majority on that day were bombers supporters and rightfully so paying their respects to 2 of their legends.

Yes the hawks were well represented but lets not kid ourselves the vast majority were Richmond supporters who literally packed out the joint for Dusty's 300th

When I attended Ess v rich, for hird and sheeds farewell game my tiges were well represented too but the mamoty on that day were bombers supporters and rightfully so paying their respects to 2 of their legends.
If you were playing GC, the crowd would have been under 70k. Let’s not forget that either.

If you were playing GC, the crowd would have been under 70k. Let’s not forget that either.

And 70K V GC would've been insane for a home and away crowd. Mate lets not get into semantics im not sure what's pricked your feathers. Dont think anyone has said anything untoward and Raz man was spot on, I think most know we packed it out for dusty and so lets leave it at that. Enjoy your win, the hawks are looking the goods.

There was some minor debate about the early plans of rebuilding the Southern stands that how many more seats they should add, even if a few thousand seats adds a significant financial cost, when very few games a year actually hid 85k+ a year or whatever.

I think this season has proven that that's the go, and the Southern stand should have 5-10k more. It's great to think that in 15 years time how a similar crowd could be 105,000 people instead.

When I attended Ess v rich, for hird and sheeds farewell game my tiges were well represented too but the majority on that day were bombers supporters and rightfully so paying their respects to 2 of their legends.

100%

Insane, and also shows just how special a player Martin is for Richmond (like Hird for Essendon)

Cotchin’s 300th drew 30,000 less in almost identifical circumstances (62,686 against the Saints last year)

But Martin is next level, probably the closest example to a Leigh Matthews type figure. At least in big games.

True, even without Martin’s 300th the game would have drawn in the 60,000’s.

Despite being a replacement game, Hawthorn members were locked out of today’s game - so the overfill could have been much higher without the special occasion.

Seven of Hawthorn’s last 15 MCG home and away games have now drawn 65,000 or more (with the next 3 games scheduled against Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond).

In fact, the Hawks are now pulling comparable MCG crowds to the three-peat years with plenty of growth left in those numbers!

And 70K V GC would've been insane for a home and away crowd. Mate lets not get into semantics im not sure what's pricked your feathers. Dont think anyone has said anything untoward and Raz man was spot on, I think most know we packed it out for dusty and so lets leave it at that. Enjoy your win, the hawks are looking the goods.
We’ll find out in the last game of the season, unless Martin wants to give it away in round 23 and we can test the record again!

We’ll find out in the last game of the season, unless Martin wants to give it away in round 23 and we can test the record again!

I hope he goes on still think he has a lot to offer to the young fellas. If he does decide to retire RD 23 v Hawks ;)
we'd definitely give it a shake no doubt and the hawks by then making their run for the 8 or even in the 8 by that stage.

Last edited:

I really try my best not to be a Richmond nuffie, but fair suck of the sauce bottle, take the four points and enjoy being part of it.

Today had nothing to do with Hawthorn, like 2007 had nothing to do with Richmond. Just like when Pendles plays 400 it will have nothing to do with the opposition.

The MCG sells out quite often these days, the difference between this being a great 80,000 and an exceptional 92,00 is reserved seat members and corporates all turning up, which I doubt too many were of the Hawthorn persuasion and everything to do with Dusty300.

For what it's worth:

Biggest crowds for a VFL/AFL player's 300th game:

93,436 - Scott Pendlebury (2019 QF)
92,311 - Dustin Martin (R14, 2024)
84,745 - Justin Madden (R14, 1995)
72,216 - Tony Shaw (R9, 1994)
71,767 - Stephen Silvagni (R11, 2001)
70,345 - Luke Hodge (R17, 2017)

Those are the only 300-game milestone matches over 70,000.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back