Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

You you did state 15% neutrals that equates to about 14K and 15-20K was a general comment that has been bandied around that games get 15K+ in neutrals which I and others don't agree with.

And I did state for this game it looked very much like a lot more tigers in MCC reserve.
Hawthorn and Richmond basically have the same number of MCC members - Hawthorn has slightly more. So I’m not sure where these mystical hordes came from - unless MCC members want to risk losing their membership (we don’t)

As the fifth and seventh biggest clubs, neither club has enough members to fill the MCC reserve either. Same goes for the AFL members, where the Tigers and Hawks are fourth and fifth.

The only club that fill the members is Melbourne, and the only club that can fill the AFL members is Collingwood.

…which is why the only hope of breaking the record for a home and away attendance is a Melbourne v Collingwood Kings Birthday game.

I’m not doubting that Richmond turned up on mass - they turned a 65,000 crowd into the largest non Collingwood crowd of all time, but to say they got their without substantial help from Hawthorn and neutrals in the MCC and AFL members just doesn’t make sense.

Richmond absolutely crowded out General Admission though - with barely any Hawthorn members able to get access to a ticket.

Which is pretty incredible - and unheard of for a bog average home and away game between two clubs with no rivalry.

Last edited:
Hawthorn and Richmond basically have the same number of MCC members - Hawthorn has slightly more. So I’m not sure where these mystical hordes came from - unless MCC members want to risk losing their membership (we don’t)

As the fifth and sixth biggest clubs, neither club has enough members to fill the MCC reserve either.

The only club that fill the members is Melbourne.

Yep that was from 10 years ago pretty much same. I heard we have 11K now but that could well be wrong.
Dave10 by memory knows a bit about the numbers from the MCC.

Would love to know what 2024 MCC numbers are for each club. Dees have the most by far then bombers that i know.

Yep that was from 10 years ago pretty much same. I heard we have 11K now but that could well be wrong.
Would love to know what 2024 MCC numbers are for each club. Dees have the most by far then bombers that i know.

Given it takes 25 plus years to become an MCC member (17 years when I became restricted and 25 to become full) 20 years ago, these figures don’t change at all.

It’s not like the AFL members when Essendon got a huge bump when they moved to the MCG, Collingwood in the early 2000s and Hawthorn and Richmond got small bumps in the 2010’s.

Even still, let’s deal with probabilities and not vibe

Given it takes 25 plus years to become an MCC member (17 years when I became restricted and 25 to become full) 20 years ago, these figures don’t change at all.

It’s not like the AFL members when Essendon got a huge bump when they moved to the MCG, Collingwood in the early 2000s and Hawthorn and Richmond got small bumps in the 2010’s.

Even still, let’s deal with probabilities and not vibe

Fair enough but in the chart over two years it moved about 500
Anyway, it was just an observation that I had yesterday I may well be wrong.

I know In the AFL reserve Collingwood has by far the most with 12,000 members then the blues on 8K, bombers on 7.5K and the Tigers on 6K+

I did mention in a previous post that Richmond members were able to buy into the top deck of the AFL reserve and Richmond AFL members were also allowed to buy into the City end Q36

Last edited:
Excellent crowd in the WAFL for Swans v Sth Freo yesterday at Bassendean Oval with 4,560 for the John Todd memorial game. The West newspaper yesterday was reporting up to 10,000 could attend - which was massively optimistic.

This was the first John Todd match since his passing and with no AFL game in Perth this weekend, it was always going to be big.

Swans did a great memorial service before the match with a former premiership player presenting each of his 6 WAFL coaching premiership Cups on to the field.

There was a great atmosphere out there to honour a WA footy legend.

8914 for our fave against Port. Highest of the 3 home games we have played against port at Giants Stadium

The one thing I did notice, the giants home support seemed a little better than usual. I think that's arguably more important than total crowd number, which has often relied upon opposition supporter turnout.

You you did state 15% neutrals that equates to about 14K and 15-20K was a general comment that has been bandied around that games get 15K+ in neutrals which I and others don't agree with.

And I did state for this game it looked very much like a lot more tigers in MCC reserve.
At no point have I said anything about 15% neutrals, you are making that up. Please stop misquoting me.

Don’t want to get into the the contest about crowd splits, but a little info on my membership area, 3121.

I dealt with Patrick (3121 membership officer) 3 times during the week getting an extra Disabilty ticket organised for nan.

We can sit anywhere between N7-13.

The club oversell these areas and was that the member seats had ever been completely full. MCC staff members had extra tickets they were handing them out to anyone with out a seat and sending them up to the first 3 Rows of level 4 in the AFL reserve.

In the lead up to the game, the club was expecting their highest reserve seat membership turn out ever and from the experience on game day in our area, it certainly would have had to been.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

At no point have I said anything about 15% neutrals, you are making that up. Please stop misquoting me.

Are you really that insecure in your posting that you just edited your post. I am actually not misquoting you but you're trying to make out like I am. Poor form buddy. Seriously you did now have a K after 55 or 30 (screenshot proves that underlined in RED).

My reply was based on 55% and 30% (85%) and rest neutrals which would mean 15%
Now if I misrepresented or misunderstood what you were trying to relay I dare say I have a good excuse considering you didn't have a K meaning in the thousands.

edit.jpg

Are you really that insecure in your posting that you just edited your post. I am actually not misquoting you but you're trying to make out like I am. Poor form buddy. Seriously you did now have a K after 55 or 30 (screenshot proves that underlined in RED).

My reply was based on 55% and 30% (85%) and rest neutrals which would mean 15%
Now if I misrepresented or misunderstood what you were trying to relay I dare say I have a good excuse considering you didn't have a K meaning in the thousands.

View attachment 2021725
Yes I edited it because clearly you were daft enough to think that I implied 14,000 neutrals went to a game of football despite me on multiple occasions sticking up for large Richmond crowds where people kept claiming there were 15K neutrals at those games.

Yes I edited it because clearly you were daft enough to think that I implied 14,000 neutrals went to a game of football despite me on multiple occasions sticking up for large Richmond crowds where people kept claiming there were 15K neutrals at those games.

Mate just reply to me and say hey I think you have misunderstood my post and I would've then aptly apologised and we move on. Yes you have on Richmond im not disputing that. Anyways, lets just leave it there all good :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t want to get into the the contest about crowd splits, but a little info on my membership area, 3121.

I dealt with Patrick (3121 membership officer) 3 times during the week getting an extra Disabilty ticket organised for nan.

We can sit anywhere between N7-13.

The club oversell these areas and was that the member seats had ever been completely full. MCC staff members had extra tickets they were handing them out to anyone with out a seat and sending them up to the first 3 Rows of level 4 in the AFL reserve.

In the lead up to the game, the club was expecting their highest reserve seat membership turn out ever and from the experience on game day in our area, it certainly would have had to been.

Oh I noticed those seats pre game and thought that might have been the case.

Good solution? Or We're people acting extra about it?

The one thing I did notice, the giants home support seemed a little better than usual. I think that's arguably more important than total crowd number, which has often relied upon opposition supporter turnout.

Remember, they played Port today. This is a good result.

Essendon Vs West Coast shaping as being sold out before matchday. Pre sales of seats quite deep on level 3 with a week to game day. It will come down to EFC reserved seat show rate to determine if it’s as low as 38,000 or around the max crowd of ~43,0000 once again.

IMG_0644.jpeg

Genuinely concerned for Adelaide crowds for the rest of the season. Last 4 home games are against western Sydney, St.Kilda, Hawthorn (Sunday Twilight) and the Bulldogs. Doubt any of those matches, even Hawthorn with their excellent SA support will get close to 40,000. The bottom has fallen out and fans have had enough of the nonsense served up this season.

Very worried for Saturday night. Doubt it gets close to 30K (same timeslot in Autumn last year got 29K and there were were very few North supporters there). Cold Saturday night in June could see me with my old seagull friends.

Oh I noticed those seats pre game and thought that might have been the case.

Good solution? Or We're people acting extra about it?

Mixed emotions.

Some were pretty fine with it, but I can also understand the ones that were not.

$1,200 a year is a lot of money and these are the exact games you do pay it for. The biggest game since 2019 and your pushed up the top probably isn’t fair.

Mixed emotions.

Some were pretty fine with it, but I can also understand the ones that were not.

$1,200 a year is a lot of money and these are the exact games you do pay it for. The biggest game since 2019 and your pushed up the top probably isn’t fair.

It seems to have worked in so far as cramming as many people in as possible, though. Better than the usual 85-88k sell out.

Something for other teams to look at.

For those interested, MCC member breakdown from 2018.
View attachment 2022155
Wow I stand corrected!

AstuteTiger was right, Richmond and Hawthorn can fill the MCC (with visitor tickets)

Drop Melbourne down and that’s as close as you’ll ever get to a food chain for most popular clubs in Victoria. It basically mirrors AFL club support (if you switch Collingwood and Essendon)

Wow I stand corrected!

AstuteTiger was right, Richmond and Hawthorn can fill the MCC (with visitor tickets)

Drop Melbourne down and that’s as close as you’ll ever get to a food chain for most popular clubs in Victoria
Perhaps not in practical terms. A portion of those MCC members would’ve been sitting in their home club reserved seats, or they could’ve been overseas, unwell, working etc. theoretically yes but in reality probably only 30-40% of those ~23,000 MCC members (Tigers / Hawks combined) would actually have been in the reserve on matchday.

Very worried for Saturday night. Doubt it gets close to 30K (same timeslot in Autumn last year got 29K and there were were very few North supporters there). Cold Saturday night in June could see me with my old seagull friends.
Slight update, it is also the Pink Lady game which will probably add between 5-10k people who will go on the ground and then probably leave.

Perhaps not in practical terms. A portion of those MCC members would’ve been sitting in their home club reserved seats, or they could’ve been overseas, unwell, working etc. theoretically yes but in reality probably only 30-40% of those ~23,000 MCC members (Tigers / Hawks combined) would actually have been in the reserve on matchday.
Like me!

But I am surprised that Richmond and Hawthorn (in raw numbers) have both gained and Melbourne have lost (in percentage)

Is that because the MCC numbers have expanded with provisional members. When I became a member Melbourne had 25 per cent of the MCC reserve!

Back then Essendon has 12.5 per cent, which was effectively half Melbourne. That has dropped to just 4 per cent

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back