Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Or just remove the academy pathways. The drafts are going to be pretty compromised well before Tassie start getting gifted picks.
đź’Ż effectively 14 teams will only have access to 50% of the population. The academy system should be limited to only players outside of the first round. The afl run and fund them anyway so they should be avaliable to everyone

What other well regarded professional sport has a father son system? They both need to go.
Don’t mind having our own traditions. If my old man played 100 games for a club I don’t mind the romance of being able to do the same and keep the name at the club. As long as sides are paying fair price. The double Ashcroft rort is a joke.

Don’t mind having our own traditions. If my old man played 100 games for a club I don’t mind the romance of being able to do the same and keep the name at the club. As long as sides are paying fair price. The double Ashcroft rort is a joke.
It's old boys nepotism, but that's a pretty common theme throughout the AFL.

A fair price is an uncompromised draft - since when has the AFL been fair in setting the rules for these things?

It's old boys nepotism, but that's a pretty common theme throughout the AFL.

A fair price is an uncompromised draft - since when has the AFL been fair in setting the rules for these things?
Since when has the AFL fairly set anything? Draw, MCG GF, in season travel, COLA, unfeted access to NGA for QLD/NSW but I digress.

I think there shouldn't be compo draft picks for when you lose free agents. It punishes everyone else.

You should get a cap space bonus to the amount of the contract the player signed for (not what you were paying them), and you can choose to assign that across the soft and player cap.

Actually, while I'm here - merge the caps. If you have a young side and struggling to hit the cap floor, you should be able to move it to the soft cap and spend more on coaches.

And make every player salary public. Sorry, these are executive salaries within member owned orgs. There should be transparency.

Will Richmond trade for our first round pick?
I would think so but dont think its 100% as most think
Richmond's priority would be upgrading the picks we will have after trades of baker , Bolton & Rioli to trade up as much as possible with these picks. Pick 10-15 i would have said 100% would be done but 19 (battle compo) i wouldnt think would be a huge priority but see what happens and whats left

I would rather Bid on Ashcroft then bid on Marshall and hope Marshall falls through at #21

I think there shouldn't be compo draft picks for when you lose free agents. It punishes everyone else.

You should get a cap space bonus to the amount of the contract the player signed for (not what you were paying them), and you can choose to assign that across the soft and player cap.

Actually, while I'm here - merge the caps. If you have a young side and struggling to hit the cap floor, you should be able to move it to the soft cap and spend more on coaches.

And make every player salary public. Sorry, these are executive salaries within member owned orgs. There should be transparency.
The club getting the free agent should have to pay in points like NGA or FS

Clubs consider Clarry play, Giants explore Bomber interest, Giant calls coming - https://www.afl.com.au/news/1235642

CLUBS GET CLARITY ON COMPO

ST KILDA and Greater Western Sydney are among the clubs breathing a sigh of relief, after the AFL informed teams that 'Band 2' compensation picks will fall before North Melbourne's pair of end-of-first round selections.

Sydney and Gold Coast, who own the pair of Kangaroos picks, now face the prospect of falling further down the draft order should any of this year's free agency departures be deemed worthy of 'Band 2' or end-of-first round compensation.

Clubs had been nervously waiting on the League's final decision about where the picks would be placed, but received confirmation from the AFL on Monday morning.

The Saints may receive 'Band 2' compensation for defender Josh Battle's move to the Hawks, while the Giants could receive similar picks should Harry Perryman depart or perhaps even for Isaac Cumming's move to the Crows.

JcXkGCXv.JPG

Isaac Cumming in action during Greater Western Sydney's qualifying final against Sydney on September 7, 2024. Picture: AFL Photos
Clubs had lobbied to the AFL for the compensation picks to be placed before North Melbourne's pair of selections, given a similar situation occurred last year.

Adelaide and St Kilda both picked before Carlton, who held the Kangaroos' pick in 2023, having received end-of-first round compensation picks for Tom Doedee's free agency move to Brisbane and Jade Gresham's to Essendon respectively.

North Melbourne earned three end-of-first round compensation picks from the AFL last year due to poor performance, one in 2023 and two in 2024, but traded all three to rival clubs.

Last year's pick was shifted to the Blues in exchange for Zac Fisher, while their two picks this season went to the Swans for Dylan Stephens and to the Suns as a result of a pick-swap undertaken last season. – Riley Beveridge

đź’Ż effectively 14 teams will only have access to 50% of the population. The academy system should be limited to only players outside of the first round. The afl run and fund them anyway so they should be avaliable to everyone
The AFL do not run the academies. They might fund them indirectly through the central revenue distribution, but they do not run them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The September Consensus Draft rankings from AFL, ESPN and RMC

1727723965565.png

The AFL (Cal Twomey) and RMC had the same 30 players while ESPN (Jasper Chellappah) had 27 of the same 30 players. I have added a nominal draft ranking of 35 for the 3 players that weren't in ESPN's top 30.

FYI The 3 extra players from the ESPN rankings were
19 Kayle Gerreyn
25 Hamish Davis
30 James Barrat

They pay people to run it on their behalf. Kind of the same. Just subbing it out
Pretty well known that QBE sponsors Sydney’s academy to the tune of $1m per year, and has done so for a decade plus now.

Lions academy is sponsored by Ausenco & CTM. No idea of the dollar figure as I haven’t seen this made public.

Fair chance the Suns & Giants academies have sponsors these days as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back