Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

What other pro sport organisation has 9 teams play out of 1 city? NRL
What other pro sport organisation has 9 teams play out of 2 stadiums? NRL
What other pro sport organisation makes a team, play their home games, away from home an hour away? NFL
What other pro sport organisation has a greater variance in distance travelled by teams? NFL
What other pro sport organisation has such an imbalanced fixture? NFL

The AFL is inherently inequal. Everyone just needs to get over it.

What other pro sport organisation has 9 teams play out of 1 city?
What other pro sport organisation has 9 teams play out of 2 stadiums?
What other pro sport organisation makes a team, play their home games, away from home an hour away?
What other pro sport organisation has a greater variance in distance travelled by teams?
What other pro sport organisation has such an imbalanced fixture?

NRL

What other pro sport organisation has 9 teams play out of 1 city?
What other pro sport organisation has 9 teams play out of 2 stadiums?
What other pro sport organisation makes a team, play their home games, away from home an hour away?
What other pro sport organisation has a greater variance in distance travelled by teams?
What other pro sport organisation has such an imbalanced fixture?

Spoken like someone whose team has just won the flag and is about to get Ashcroft and Marshall cheap.

Look, honestly I get it. AFL wasn’t my first spectator sport. I grew up following the NBA, and only started following AFL in my 40’s.

There was lots of stuff that seemed “wrong” about how the AFL is run.

Sure the Northern academies are “rorts” in a national competition.

The draft is seriously compromised.

But so is the actual competition, because 60% percent of the competition is in one state and 55% of the teams are in one city.

There should be no academies, father sons, or free agency compensation.

But at the same time there shouldn’t be 10 teams in Victoria. This leads to multiple inequalities that negatively impact the non Victorian teams and competition as a whole.

The draw being the biggest inequality, that favours the Victorian teams.

Honestly it should be a 14 team competition with 6 teams removed from Melbourne.

One sent to Tassie. One sent to Ballarat or Aubrey. And four ****ed off completely.
and a professional 2nd tier competition?

Pretty well known that QBE sponsors Sydney’s academy to the tune of $1m per year, and has done so for a decade plus now.

Lions academy is sponsored by Ausenco & CTM. No idea of the dollar figure as I haven’t seen this made public.

Fair chance the Suns & Giants academies have sponsors these days as well.
Fairly certain Levi Ashcroft & Sam Marshall's development is being sponsored by Sandringham Dragons & Brighton Grammar/Melbourne Grammar ..... 1500km from Queensland

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2024 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back