Player Watch 2024 AFL Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rules as every other year.

This isn’t the thread to talk about your ladder predictions or declarations of how interested you are in the draft in response to a win/loss, nor is it the thread to declare who you want to trade for.
Those posts will be deleted.

Talk about the kids in the draft.

Would actually hope there’s two KPFs around Picks 10 - 20.

If we end up with pick 3, a split into two late first rounders that would make sense.

Carlton managed to get McKay with #10 and Curnow with #12 in 2015.
i bloody hope we don’t trade a pick 3 for two late firsts. The dogs gave two and a future first for pick 6 last year

I feel Jagga's game in this one has been underrated by some draft watchers. He was clean all game where others fumbled and struggled with their skills. Jagga demonstrated his usual knack of navigating traffic and finding pockets of space for a clean disposal.

Trainor was deservedly named best on ground in this game for the AFL Academy. He wasnt flawless, but showed his strength in the air and on the ground as well as his intelligent judgement in when to leave his man to impact third up or run off to create for his team.

- Looks like its taking longer than usual to process up to HD, give it a few mins if that matters to you.

"Moares", "Morares", "Morez"... it doesnt matter what the commentators call him, Christian Moraes is one of the top prospects in this year's draft.

He had a strange game here. Starting on a wing and getting a bit lost in the first quarter, a move on ball in the second sparked him into life and he racked up 10 touches in the quarter. He game ended prematurely in the third quarter when he was crunched in a marking contest and looked to have copped a knee in the ribs.

How is Iliro Smit going? Always love an Eastern Ranges kid. I know he suffered a few setbacks w/ injury last couple years. Seems a good type though, tall and athletic

"Moares", "Morares", "Morez"... it doesnt matter what the commentators call him, Christian Moraes is one of the top prospects in this year's draft.

He had a strange game here. Starting on a wing and getting a bit lost in the first quarter, a move on ball in the second sparked him into life and he racked up 10 touches in the quarter. He game ended prematurely in the third quarter when he was crunched in a marking contest and looked to have copped a knee in the ribs.

I just don’t see it with Moraes… Doesn’t scream high end talent to me 🤷🏻‍♂️

A pretty good outing for Smillie. In a scrappy game in which players struggled to execute their skills at a high level, Smillie stood out with his clean hands and for the most part neat disposal.

I don't think anyone can watch this kid and not think he's exactly what we need. Between him and FOS we get that dynamic inside mid that can win games off their own boot and still bring their A Game every week. He's always on the move at contests, gets his hands on the footy early at stoppages, and moves through traffic with urgency and agility. His skills are excellent for a contested midfielder, remember no-one can ping perfect drop punts while under the pump at the contest. His handballing through contact is what gets me really hyped for him, drawing a defender and unleashing a forward handpass is how you break open stale games and he have rarely been able to get that going in our matches. I don't know how he tested speed wise, but if he's "slow" than his timing and agility more than make up for it, coupled with his repeat efforts and stamina he's the perfect developing midfielder. With how we're going this year it's either him or FOS, who I still think is the better player and an absolute game changer. Get pumped for this thread lads, I'll do a quick run down of some of the top end talent now that my thesis draft is in.

Tobie was the intercept king on the day for the Academy team. He used his energy and competitive intensity to continually disrupt Coburg's ball movement and make things difficult for his opponent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think anyone can watch this kid and not think he's exactly what we need. Between him and FOS we get that dynamic inside mid that can win games off their own boot and still bring their A Game every week. He's always on the move at contests, gets his hands on the footy early at stoppages, and moves through traffic with urgency and agility. His skills are excellent for a contested midfielder, remember no-one can ping perfect drop punts while under the pump at the contest. His handballing through contact is what gets me really hyped for him, drawing a defender and unleashing a forward handpass is how you break open stale games and he have rarely been able to get that going in our matches. I don't know how he tested speed wise, but if he's "slow" than his timing and agility more than make up for it, coupled with his repeat efforts and stamina he's the perfect developing midfielder. With how we're going this year it's either him or FOS, who I still think is the better player and an absolute game changer. Get pumped for this thread lads, I'll do a quick run down of some of the top end talent now that my thesis draft is in.
Looking forward to your content as always TDS7. I’m on the Finn train I think he’s the burst evasive skilful game changer we need. smillie will clearly be a good player but his kicking worries me. I agree with all your points including disposal assessment lowering for inside mids, but I’ve seen him miss a lot of targets and turn it over when not under pressure. Like Moraes as a winger would love to see us get into the first round and get him too although his stocks seemingly have risen a lot with his start to the year. I’m pumped for the updates mate bring them on!

Draft watchers - is the commentary around Smith being small based on his frame and the potential size he could put on in the AFL environment?

Where would he play at senior level?

I notice he's 181cm, whilst FOS is 182cm.

(I understand that FOS has some outstanding athletic attributes)

Draft watchers - is the commentary around Smith being small based on his frame and the potential size he could put on in the AFL environment?

Where would he play at senior level?

I notice he's 181cm, whilst FOS is 182cm.

(I understand that FOS has some outstanding athletic attributes)
Not exactly the size. Just his lack of any outstanding elite athletic traits eg vertical, 20m agility ect.

His body doesn't help. Butters is a 1 in a 100 in terms of body composition and how well he's done. I don't see the same with Jagga.

Smillie and FOS are a level ahead.

His stats may not pop off the page, but Langford was one of the Academy's best in this game. He competed well in the air and his possessions were assertive and damaging. He had one quarter in the middle in the third and his physicality played a key role in helping his team gain ascendancy in that period.

How is Iliro Smit going? Always love an Eastern Ranges kid. I know he suffered a few setbacks w/ injury last couple years. Seems a good type though, tall and athletic
On the list at Box Hill but don't think he's played there as yet.

I'm super keen to see him develop.

Not exactly the size. Just his lack of any outstanding elite athletic traits eg vertical, 20m agility ect.

His body doesn't help. Butters is a 1 in a 100 in terms of body composition and how well he's done. I don't see the same with Jagga.

Smillie and FOS are a level ahead.

Butters is very quick over short distances and is extremely agile, his side-step is elite. Does Smith have that kind of lateral movement?

When deciding between the top mids in this draft, I'm most concerned about:

• Outside and forward craft
  • Precision kicking
  • High Intensity

Essentially that's someone we can utilise if Day gets injured again and can also provide competition at half forward.

• Smillie has an imposing figure and generally has good ball use, plus is the most versatile of the lot
  • FOS seems the most complete player of the lot and has the aerial craft to impact forward
  • Jagga doesn't have the build or intensity but does have the creative nous to impact regardless
  • Draper is very dynamic and clean, with leadership qualities which we could certainly use more of

Don't see us getting Ashcroft or Lombard and don't know that Moraes will push high enough for us to consider. Of the lot I actually like Draper the most as he fits the system and gives us strong depth at the front end of the field. Would be equally happy with FOS and Smillie, but don't know if we need another light build in Jagger unless we want to give direct competition to Ward.

Smillie's kicking concerns me a bit. Appears rushed a lot of the time.

Would be a real kick in the teeth to bottom out completely and get pick 1 in a season without a genuine stand out gun to use it on.

thats why ive said for a long time Finn O'Sullivan likely pick 1 unless a KPP stands up imo like Jobe Shanahan ect and a club picks them for need, Smillie is an effective kick, just lacks some running power from a contest or congestion which holds him back from the top 3 or so imo because he feeds runners, he never seems to be the runner being fed so combine results will determine the capacity he has going forward, it holds him back a little though, Smith is good and can find the footy, but lacks a bit physically and skill wise, still a very good player with good avoidance ect, like people have pointed out, there arent many built like Butters that dominate the inside, i think hes somewhere between Zac Fisher and Zak Butters, lacks the courage and strength of will of Butters which is a rare commodity.

if we have pick 1/2, i think we would look at Finn O'Sullivan or Jobe Shanahan

Finn O'Sullivan an all round midfielder, great pack mark midfielder, beautiful kicking technique

Jobe Shanahan - 194cm KPF from Bendigo/NSW playing for the Allies at the champs, we could use a tall forward with Lewis and Chol being good but not great and to pick up a potential great KPF could be what we look at?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back