No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely and AFL club or someone with a vested financial interest in a club (e.g. sponsor) would hire an investigator to see what info they can pick up about Geelong's dodgy deals?

And I'd be interested in how they communicate it to prospective players. They can't outwardly tell players as word would get around pretty quickly if they did. But surely there's word out there on how they do it.

Surely they need to be investigated

Surely and AFL club or someone with a vested financial interest in a club (e.g. sponsor) would hire an investigator to see what info they can pick up about Geelong's dodgy deals?

And I'd be interested in how they communicate it to prospective players. They can't outwardly tell players as word would get around pretty quickly if they did. But surely there's word out there on how they do it.

Surely they need to be investigated
As I mentioned earlier in this thread. When I was living in Geelong a little while back it was common knowledge there were deals done.
You can go back to Bomber Thompson getting a heap of land and paying cents on the dollar for Simonds to build houses on it. He made a fortune.

Interesting that Oliver is willing to "play for less money" if he finds his way to Geelong. There must be something in the water in Geelong that makes players less interested in money. Hmmmm...
Less money is just code for 'outside deals' with Geelong. He'll be getting his worth. Their outside deals should be looked at by the AFL and eventually be included in the salary cap. How they're active every year in the trading period is staggering to me. To me something is suss with them. But the AFL are too gutless to investigate a Victorian team though.

If swans pulled shifty deals to attract players to the club, the Queue Be Enourmous.
And the whinging from Victorian clubs would be deafening and too much to handle.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread. When I was living in Geelong a little while back it was common knowledge there were deals done.
You can go back to Bomber Thompson getting a heap of land and paying cents on the dollar for Simonds to build houses on it. He made a fortune.
It's common knowledge they do outside deals. I want them investigated like the AFL would do to us if we did them. They brandish the 'culture' shit around too when attracting players for 'less' money too. It's exploiting a loophole and rorting the system in a way. Brisbane do it also, hence they're always active in the trading period also.

It's common knowledge they do outside deals. I want them investigated like the AFL would do to us if we did them. They brandish the 'culture' shit around too when attracting players for 'less' money too. It's exploiting a loophole and rorting the system in a way. Brisbane do it also, hence they're always active in the trading period also.
"Chris Judd is set to appeal the AFL's ruling that his long-term third-party sponsorship must now be paid inside Carlton's salary cap.

Since moving to Carlton from West Coast in 2008, Judd has been paid a rumoured $250,000 a year by Visy, though his manager Paul Connors insists this figure is not accurate."

What are the current rules?

"Chris Judd is set to appeal the AFL's ruling that his long-term third-party sponsorship must now be paid inside Carlton's salary cap.

Since moving to Carlton from West Coast in 2008, Judd has been paid a rumoured $250,000 a year by Visy, though his manager Paul Connors insists this figure is not accurate."

What are the current rules?
I'm not sure to be honest, does anybody know?

Is there a restraint of trade issue?
Players are allowed to earn money outside of footy?

So it's a grey area.

I'm more furious about how Geelong got pick 7 last year from the Suns.
That's seems very suss. Needs investigating..can't believe AFL allowed that one.
Doing it for one player maybe a marquee player is fine, but to do this for every trade and say they play for 'less money'? That's where the AFL needs to step in and have a look at Geelong in my opinion. It's exploitation

Is there a restraint of trade issue?
Players are allowed to earn money outside of footy?

So it's a grey area.

I'm more furious about how Geelong got pick 7 last year from the Suns.
That's seems very suss. Needs investigating..can't believe AFL allowed that one.
It might just be, particularly after the Judd deal like I just put up.
The problem with a lot of these deals are they get the money for literally not doing anything. And more times than not their partner gets a job thrown in too....for 3 times the typical wage at the company.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

No Oppo Supporters 2024 AFL General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back