AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Swans-Ecomm-Retro_600x.jpg
Fitzroy-Lions-Retro-Ecomm.jpg-v1_600x.jpg

Saturday September 28 - 2.30PM @ MCG

GX_ifDeb0AMFJZA

Used to live in Fitzroy (off Johnson Street near Brunswick Street) in the early 60’s. Two of my older brothers followed Fitzroy so I’ll be going for the Lions.

Still remember my brothers bang on about Kevin Murray, and the Serafini brothers, they were gutted when the Fitzroy were shafted and sent to Brisbane….the triple premierships under Matthews helped eased the pain. 😊

It’s the Roys for me, a highly talented young team confident, coming into a Granny after 3 strong wins, momentum is with the Lions.
Swan are a great young team too, dynamic and skilled , too both sides have play some very exciting footy throughout the season.
it’s going to be a great Granny Skilled , tough, fast footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans for me the old man rest his soul was a Swans supporter and I was on board till I was about 7 but saw the light in late 60’s
Fair enough. Even as a staunch Bluebagger, I was devastated with the league a-holed them in 1996. Was then rapt when they merged with the Bears and equally rapt when they won those 3 flags. Have a soft spot for them but happy to knock em off of course.

I love the stories around the VFL/AFL competition. It’s very slick these days. Micro managed to within an inch searching for an advantage. It hasn’t always been like that and I do miss the semi-professional days where the build up to the GF lacked the polish that we’ll see this week.

The reference to South Melbourne v Fitzroy in the thread title has me thinking of winter days at the Lakeside Oval or the Brunswick Street Oval watching Carlton.

In those days South and Fitzroy were cellar dwellers who produced more Brownlow Medal winners than finals appearances. Only the diehards turned up to games. You had to respect them for their persistence. You knew who were the longest serving South Melbourne supporters because they barracked hard and shouted “Go Bloods”. I’m not old enough to remember Fitzroy when their supporters followed The Gorillas. For two decades from the late 30s to the late 50s Fitzroy honoured a primate as its mascot. They then became The Lions and have stuck with it since the late 50s.

The guernsey’s have changed. Occasionally they’ll bring a derivation to a game but it’s not the same. South had the white jumper with the red V and the red and white hooped socks. Not a great choice for the mud heaps that were played on. Fitzroy were maroon and blue with a monogram. Just like the Carlton Footy Club’s history is personified by that famous CFC on the front. It’d be nice to see both of them run out in those colours on Saturday.

I saw South’s greatest player Bobby Skilton play on many occasions. One of the most gifted to take the field. He was courageous and skilful. Think of a footballer who was a natural left footer but was equally proficient on his right side. I witnessed his only final in 1970 and it was such a good news story. Bobby loved playing State footy because he got to rove to Big Nick. And then one of Fitzroy’s best Kevin ‘Bulldog’ Murray who was less subtle and more akin to a steamroller. Kevin’s remembered for his speech after he won the 1969 Brownlow Medal. One of the oldest players to win the award. Google both these names and be amazed at their history in the game.

So now we have the Sydney Swans and the Brisbane Lions representing the ghosts of the South Melbourne and Fitzroy Football clubs. The links are there as long as people remember the past history.

Thanks for the reference to the past and I think The Gorillas might prevail on Saturday.

I think Brisbane are stronger across more lines than Sydney, however ...

I live here and it would be painful. I don't think their 5th placed finish and start to the season is more meritorious than Sydney's minor premiership. They're going to get one of the best players in the draft yet again for 🥜 . I just can't reconcile Joe Daniher and especially Eric Hipwood with a premiership medal.

Managed to get tickets to this one. Been a few years since I went to a GF, after watching both prelims I’m genuinely looking forward to watching this as a neutral - so much less stressful!! Should be a cracker.

I wasn’t successful in the MCC ballot 😢

I wasn’t successful in the MCC ballot 😢
I feel your disappointment. It’s a great day whether your team is there or not. I haven’t attended a GF this century. Last one was 1999. I was so excited last year when I kept my fingers crossed for a Carlton win in Brisbane. I can’t complain though. I think I’ve been to 20 including all of Carlton’s appearances since 1968. Let’s hope that next year is a good one for the Carlton Footy Club.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final 2024 AFL Grand Final - South Melbourne v Fitzroy 🏆

Remove this Banner Ad

Back