AFL Grand Final 2024 AFL Grand Final - South Melbourne v Fitzroy 🏆

Remove this Banner Ad

What a delight watching defenders who know how to defend first and foremost. A wise old Carlton man told me many moons ago defences win premierships, still hold true today. Well done to the Lions, a flag from 5th. And as for me labelling them mental pigmies a few months ago, shows how much I know.🙄
There defensive trap has been a work in progress for years & they have the system nailed.

Everyone & I mean everyone knows what they need to do.
Big guys kill it or mark it, mids & small forwards put a heap of pressure running just as hard to get it back or apply pressure & create overlap to move it forward - it’s bloody impressive

The Brisbane Lions had a really impressive finals series, so much run, confidence and power, having good ball uses off half back, having pace, power and height in the forward line and players who are hard at the ball and opponent is great to watch.

I dont see our team and list being that far off compared to the two teams out there today, one or two players in areas of need and things change all over the field.
It's not the list that's the problem it's the footy department.

Congratulations Lions, an amazing game of footy it had it all, grit , skill and speed in all areas of the ground.
Wining a Premiership form 5th position is incredulous.
A true watershed season for the club and Fagen, they’ll be a force to be reckon with for the next 5 years perhaps longer.Teams self belief and confidence has firmed.
Add Coleman, Doedee, Gardiner, McCarthy and Levi Ashcroft, Marshall via draft 2024. It’s a little scary.

I'd like to focus on the intercept marks by each team's defenders and clean ball use going into the forward line.

Intercept marks by defenders:

Starcevich 5
Andrews 4
Wilmot 2
Payne 2
Lester 1
Answerth 1
Total 15

Blakey 3
Melican 1
Lloyd 1
Cunningham 1
Total 6

Inside 50s were 51-49 Lions way, which was basically equal. Now all those intercept marks might not have been inside their D50, however for arguments' sake let's say they were.

15 out of 49 Swans entry into 50 were halted by an opposition mark. Which is 31%.

On the other hand, 6 out of 51, is 12%.

Shows how important it is that the forward line can at the very least bring the ball to ground AND also the importance clean ball entry into the forward line.

Marks inside 50:
Lions 22
Swans 9

The Brisbane Lions had a really impressive finals series, so much run, confidence and power, having good ball uses off half back, having pace, power and height in the forward line and players who are hard at the ball and opponent is great to watch.

I dont see our team and list being that far off compared to the two teams out there today, one or two players in areas of need and things change all over the field.

They know when to work the ball around with uncontested marks…shifting the opposition defence around and when they see someone free in the corridor they hit the kick perfectly

It’s very fun brand to watch

I'd like to focus on the intercept marks by each team's defenders and clean ball use going into the forward line.

Intercept marks by defenders:

Starcevich 5
Andrews 4
Wilmot 2
Payne 2
Lester 1
Answerth 1
Total 15

Blakey 3
Melican 1
Lloyd 1
Cunningham 1
Total 6

Inside 50s were 51-49 Lions way, which was basically equal. Now all those intercept marks might not have been inside their D50, however for arguments' sake let's say they were.

15 out of 49 Swans entry into 50 were halted by an opposition mark. Which is 31%.

On the other hand, 6 out of 51, is 12%.

Shows how important it is that the forward line can at the very least bring the ball to ground AND also the importance clean ball entry into the forward line.

Marks inside 50:
Lions 22
Swans 9
Starcevich was immense in this regard. He served as a roadblock for many of Sydney’s attempts going forward and thought he was very pivotal in setting up that significant half time lead as a result

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Grand Final 2024 AFL Grand Final - South Melbourne v Fitzroy 🏆

Remove this Banner Ad

Back