Game Day 2024 AFLW Round 1 Carlton vs Hawthorn Sunday 1st September 1:05PM @ Kinetic Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton-vs-Hawthorn.png

Our AFLW team kick off their 2024 season this weekend. We play Hawthorn for the first time ever.

We have new players in Tarni Brown, Yasmin Duursma, Jade Halfpenny, Celine Moody, Meg Robertson, and livewire forward Lila Keck.
Maddie Guerin and Kerryn Peterson return from injury, while first season Irish revelation Erone Fitzpatrick will miss the season due to injury. 2023 trade Tahlia Read is also available to make her debut after missing last year due to injury.

Exciting key position player Mia Austin is improving fast and is sure to kick goals for the Blues in 2024. Vice captains Mimi Hill and Abbie McKay will lead the way in the midfield, and we are looking forward to further improvement to the already impressive starts from the double Keeley connection in Skepper and Sherar.

Our defense will be ably lead by veterans Harriet Cordner and Gab Pound, with support from Gen Lawson-Tavan, Brooke Vickers, Dayna Finn and Amelia Velardo.

Newly re-signed veteran, Blues games and goals record holder Darcy Vescio will be an interesting watch as to which position they play in 2024.

With twin sister Celine now at the club, dominant ruck forward Breann Moody will be able to shift between ruck and full forward without the Blues losing anything. We wanted to clone her ... well this is as close as we're going to get. Jess Good, as always, will be a handy back-up.

We watch with interest as to what team is selected, and hope the AFLW team can extract vengeance over the Hawks, on behalf of the AFL team who lost out badly to the brown and gold.

As one season heads into the finals, another begins. Plenty to love for Bluebagger fans.

Go Blues!

It might just be me but I haven’t heard a peep about our girls all year. Hopefully the gaping chasm between the best 3-4 teams and the rest is beginning to close and we can put out a more consistent/competitive unit.

It might just be me but I haven’t heard a peep about our girls all year. Hopefully the gaping chasm between the best 3-4 teams and the rest is beginning to close and we can put out a more consistent/competitive unit.
I fear it will be a struggling year, middling at best. Clearly we work hard but speed and polish seem to be a bit off the mark. Don't know if our additions make a huge dent in that and Vickers missing for 4-6 weeks hurts especially on the speed front.

Round 1 team
Backs:Lulu BeattyHarriet Cordner
Half-Backs:Ciara FitzgeraldKerryn PetersonGen Lawson-Tavan
Centreline:Dayna FinnMaddy GuerinDarcy Vescio
Half-Forwards:Lila KeckMia AustinMaddy Hendrie
Forwards:Breann MoodyKeeley Skepper
Followers:Jess GoodMimi HillAbbie McKay
Interchange:Keeley SherarJess Dal PossLily Goss
Gab PoundCeline Moody
Emergencies:Amelia VelardoYasmin DuursmaMarianna Anthony

League debut: Lulu Beatty, Lila Keck
Club debut: Celine Moody

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 AFLW Round 1 Carlton vs Hawthorn Sunday 1st September 1:05PM @ Kinetic Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back