F1 2024 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Race Weekend Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven’t read through the thread yet so sorry if already posted, but hearing Ted struggling to ask a question through his tears is glorious 😂😂😂

Jeez, that was like a dad trying to console his young son after a losing footy game. All that was missing was Ted giving him a cuddle.

Obviously no fan of JV but he at least was the one person on that SkyF1 panel professional and non-partisan enough to call out the narrative of Norris being bundled out of qualifying at P17 because of the yellow flag for Gasly as BS.

Looking at the video of that lap you can see that the yellow panel was switched off BEFORE Norris reached it. It was only a one second thing but as JV rightly said 'you don't have to slow down until the yellow flag and by the time he reached it the yellow flag was off'

'So he did not need to slow down, that was his mistake. He also went off wide in that last corner so it's not even sure his lap time would have been that good.'

The whole 'poor Lando' thing from the rest of the Sky panel was unprofessional BS. FFS I was half expecting Kravitz to blame Piastri for Norris failing to get out of Q1.

Last edited:

The whole 'poor Lando' thing from the rest of the Sky panel was unprofessional BS. FFS I was half expecting Kravitz to blame Piastri for Norris failing to get out of Q1.
Karun's busily fiddling with his big screen trying to find evidence of Piastri stuffing up Ocon's lap leading to the yellow flag.

'So he did not need to slow down, that was his mistake. He also went off wide in that last corner so it's not even sure his lap time would have been that good.'
It looked to me that he'd gone off the track completely, so the lap time would have been deleted for exceeding track limits. It wasn't just "not that good", it wouldn't have counted at all.

On SM-X205 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gasly disqualified from qualifying and will start at the back of the grid owing to a fuel flow limit exceedance

I love how Karma works. Lando and McLaren got the Karma bus right between the eyes.😂

NB: rumour has it Sky f1 are packing up their equipment and going home early as there’s no point in staying there and apparently Ted is still trying to console Lando. For retribution Sky are just going to let Karun talk for the whole race non stop until they allow Lando back into the top 10 or until someone says it was Oscars fault.

Looking at the video of that lap you can see that the yellow panel was switched off BEFORE Norris reached it. It was only a one second thing but as JV rightly said 'you don't have to slow down until the yellow flag and by the time he reached it the yellow flag was off'

The footage Sky had was wrong. The yellow came after Lando stuffed up in the corner and he rightly slowed down.

It looked to me that he'd gone off the track completely, so the lap time would have been deleted for exceeding track limits. It wasn't just "not that good", it wouldn't have counted at all.
Yeah although we will never know Stella said his time before he aborted the lap was 'good enough'

McLaren has raised the issue of the momentary yellow flag with the FIA btw but the details remain less than clear:

Norris first caught sight of an active flashing light board just before Turn 16 as he emerged from Turn 15, although it's not entirely clear whether this was a yellow light or a white light to indicate slow-moving vehicle. This went out before he got there and didn't appear to affect his approach into Turn 16.

But the yellows that caused him the problem were in marshal sectors 18 - the second sector cars enter after coming through Turn 16. While the onboard footage was inconclusive, McLaren has confirmed its data indicated there was a yellow flag that Norris had to respond to by lifting and aborting the lap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On SM-X205 using BigFooty.com mobile app
I watched it with no sound on. I thought he screwed up. Wasn't till later I Rea's the yellow flag thing. But all four tires were definitely over the line.

Sent from my SM-A556E using Tapatalk

I found the constant references to lando quals dropout during the commentary ****ing annoying.

I genuinely yelled f-off out loud when one of them (I think it was Chandhok) said Lando had provided the other teams a valuable service by demonstrating how impt it was to get a lap in as the track's evolution was surprising everyone.

FFS the SKy Team themselves had spent the 3 practice sessions repeating themselves about the peculiarities of this street circuit and the fact that quali was held late in the day meaning that the dust and falling temps would make staying out on track and banking times was critical as it would only be in the sweet spot for a small period of time.

Unless they just came down in the last rain shower, its something every team strategist knows about the Baku circuit.

Surely even hardened Lando fans in the UK are getting tired of the way these guys (and a couple of the ladies) continue to blow smoke up Lando's ass?

I can't wait what the grid walk without Brundle will be like. Will they have a choir and string section accompanying Ted next to Landos car on the grid playing Barber's Agnus Dei op 11?

Remove this Banner Ad

F1 2024 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Race Weekend Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back