Team Mgmt. 2024 Back Line

Remove this Banner Ad

Like the forward line thread, bringing this back. 10th in terms of goals/inside 50, 15th in scores/inside 50, 4th least accurate. So we're pushing them high and outside whilst conceding scores.

So how will we work Ridley and Reid in over coming weeks?

My guess is that whichever returns first will replace Lav and play as the second tall.

After that it gets interesting…..Acknowledging he’s been good, I’d be inclined to “rest” Heppell but the easier path is to push Martin up field and get rid of say Hind or Hobbs. Suspect the latter is what will happen.

My guess is that whichever returns first will replace Lav and play as the second tall.

After that it gets interesting…..Acknowledging he’s been good, I’d be inclined to “rest” Heppell but the easier path is to push Martin up field and get rid of say Hind or Hobbs. Suspect the latter is what will happen.

Sounds sort of right. If Reid holds form in the VFL he puts pressure on Lav for sure and I suspect that Marto will play a bit more up the ground or even forward.

Sounds sort of right. If Reid holds form in the VFL he puts pressure on Lav for sure and I suspect that Marto will play a bit more up the ground or even forward.
Reid's kicking would certainly reduce the dependence on Martin out of defense.

I reckon Reid is viewed as best 22 when healthy. He played round 1, Lav didn’t. Lav came in when Reid got injured. Give him 2-3 weeks and I think he takes his spot tbh.

Hope Ridley is good to go v Carlton. He’s our best match up for Curnow. Prefer him playing a less accountable role generally but I’d make an exception for this game.

My ideal back 6 (7) is;

B. McGrath - McKay - Ridley

Hi. Martin - Reid - Redman (Heppel or Cox as the 7th defender)

Leaves Jake Kelly, Jayden Laverne, Nick Hind as depth)

What gives in this shit show of a back 6 / 7?

Some of the worst 1:1 defenders I the league so something needs to change. Cant just be left up field, helps bu something in this group needs to improve.
Actually it can be a symptom of upfield. Weitering has spoken about it on SEN .
Of course it doesn’t help when you play undersized blokes.
But people gave me shit for suggesting possibly taking a KPD last year.

The lack of speed and quality ball use is so apparent, which I think we are aware of based on the use of Martin.

We have never really replaced what we lost with Saad and McKenna departing.

I think our setup/system in the backline is one of the problems. Sure, our defence across the ground needs work (was better before the bye) but where our blokes are standing d50 is comical. Coaching is a part of it, lack of footy IQ is the other. I think with a better defence coach we’ll be an infinitely better back half.

All you have to do is look at Brisbane's backline. No real stars Andrews aside but the drive their backs give their team is incredible. Payne, Wilmot, Starcevich and Lester are never talked about in terms of excellent defenders but they're imo atypical of what a very good AFL team requires. Always involved, provide excellent cover and drive out of the backline, all good overhead, all smart ball users.

We need a couple of elite kicks back there - I can't keep watching McGrath turn it over by foot.

Baldwin in for Laverde and that is an upgrade in all areas, ability to intercept mark, decision making and kicking.

Reid needs a run at it, but we can't depend on that at this point.

El Hawli, Roberts or even Merrett go back there for their kicking and decision making?

McGrath McKay Baldwin
Redman Reid El Hawli/Roberts/Merrett

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we were converting more of our opportunities in the forwardline then the backline would be less of an issue. Also the way the ball is getting into the backline puts a lot more pressure on our defence.

Not saying the backline couldn't be improved, of course it could. But other issues up the ground are making it look a lot worse than what it is.

Actually it can be a symptom of upfield. Weitering has spoken about it on SEN .
Of course it doesn’t help when you play undersized blokes.
But people gave me shit for suggesting possibly taking a KPD last year.
yep, sorry about that. I was wrong on the McKay acquisition. Was very good, especially early.

yep, sorry about that. I was wrong on the McKay acquisition. Was very good, especially early.
I was actually talking about the possibility of taking Connor O'Sullivan if he was the bloke at our pick. Not that I am / was unhappy we traded up to get Caddy.

I think, based off contract lengths, the locks are:
B: Ridley McKay McGrath
Hb: Redman ... ...

Imo, McGrath's best suited to focusing on the defensive end and handling the gun opposition small forward, rather than attacking. He needs to step up too when it comes to setting up our backline positioning - if you're vice-captain this should not be hard. Release Redman to play a more attacking role, let Ridley primarily be an interceptor.

We need a genuine second key defender to step up (whether it's Reid, Hayes, Jones, even Wright, or someone who's not currently on the list). We'll also need at least another attacking ball user with composure & good skills, and a medium defender type who should be able to use it well too.

If it's up to me, Laverde is useful depth next year in multiple defensive roles, Kelly i'm letting go. I'm also trying ADJ as a half back over pre-season to see whether that's viable or not.

All you have to do is look at Brisbane's backline. No real stars Andrews aside but the drive their backs give their team is incredible. Payne, Wilmot, Starcevich and Lester are never talked about in terms of excellent defenders but they're imo atypical of what a very good AFL team requires. Always involved, provide excellent cover and drive out of the backline, all good overhead, all smart ball users.
Well drilled. Well coached. By whom?

Ridley McKay McGrath
Redman Reid/Hayes El Hawli/Roberts

My hopes thus;
  • Martin only goes to hb if there's an emergency. He and Duurs need to be on the wings. Maybe Roberts / El Hawli also rotate through wings.
  • Redders' licence to attack is returned with Martin up the ground
  • Reid fit (please Lord, let this happen), or Hayes selected allows Ridley to do what he does best.
  • Tex has a cracking pre-season and dislodges McGrath, or McGrath finally turns a corner and becomes the player we've been hoping he would.
  • El Hawli forces his way into the backline where we can use his "pace to burn" (per EFC social media team)

Kelly, Weideman, Heppell gone.
Maybe keep Laverde to support VFL boys. Heart says keep Balders, head says no.
Not sure if Cox is a forward or back, but needs to grow a set anyway. Maybe trade bait at tge end of 2025.

I think, based off contract lengths, the locks are:
B: Ridley McKay McGrath
Hb: Redman ... ...

Imo, McGrath's best suited to focusing on the defensive end and handling the gun opposition small forward, rather than attacking. He needs to step up too when it comes to setting up our backline positioning - if you're vice-captain this should not be hard. Release Redman to play a more attacking role, let Ridley primarily be an interceptor.

We need a genuine second key defender to step up (whether it's Reid, Hayes, Jones, even Wright, or someone who's not currently on the list). We'll also need at least another attacking ball user with composure & good skills, and a medium defender type who should be able to use it well too.

If it's up to me, Laverde is useful depth next year in multiple defensive roles, Kelly i'm letting go. I'm also trying ADJ as a half back over pre-season to see whether that's viable or not.
Reid/Hayes and El Hawli

Remove this Banner Ad

Team Mgmt. 2024 Back Line

Remove this Banner Ad

Back