Pitto Cerra Walsh
Acres Cripps Doc

Williams Curnow Martin
Motlop McKay C Durdin

INT: TDK Marchbank Cottrell Hewett

EMG: Cowan Kennedy Hollands Silvagni

Stiff/In contention Fogarty Owies Cuningham Cincotta

The rest

Boyd has been a lock for me for some time.

Young will fight hard to regain his position, Kemp will improve. One or the other will start

Kennedy will probably be starting 22, but where and for who

Once again i have Jsos out of the side, but keeps putting his hand up

Williams would be the perfect forward/midfielder, but after doing a knee, club will probably start him behind the ball

Saw enough of Cowan to suggest he could lock in a position next year if he has a big preseason

Also backing in little Durdin to take a spot if he gets his body right

The 8 players, emergencies and in contention are pretty decent

Could we see a surprise in Binns or Carroll? Who knows, but it's exciting

Also based on Dow and Fisher being elsewhere next year

Last edited:

FB:.........WeiteringNewman
HB:.........McGovernSaad
C:AcresCripps.........
FOL:TDKCerraWalsh
HF:.........CurnowMartin
FF:MotlopMcKay.........
HollandsDocherty..................

IMO the above 15 would be our non negotiable locks...
Then we fill the remaining 7 spots from the rest of the list after trade week and/or pre-season....

Boyd Weitering Newman
McGovern Kemp Saad

TDK Cerra Walsh
Acres Cripps Doc

Williams Curnow Martin
Motlop McKay C Durdin

INT: JSOS Marchbank Cottrell Hewett

EMG: Cowan Kennedy Hollands Cunners

FB:.........WeiteringNewman
HB:.........McGovernSaad
C:AcresCripps.........
FOL:TDKCerraWalsh
HF:.........CurnowMartin
FF:MotlopMcKay.........
HollandsDocherty..................

IMO the above 15 would be our non negotiable locks...
Then we fill the remaining 7 spots from the rest of the list after trade week and/or pre-season....
Would argue that Boyd is now a lock.

This may not be Round One but this is how I see it developing coming into Finals in 2024

B: Boyd S.Durdin McGovern
HB: Williams Weitering Saad
C: Acres Cripps Binns
HF: E.Hollands McKay C.Durdin
F: Silvagni Curnow Motlop
Foll: TDK Cerra Walsh
Int: Docherty Newman O.Hollands Hewett Martin
Em: Cowan Kennedy Owies Kemp

Hopefully we can add a Harmes and our draft picks step up
I've added Ollie Hollands to midfield. I think that's his future
I hope McKay trains for some Ruck time during pre season. He and Jack can do relief minutes.
I am hopeful O'Keefe or Lemmey start to step up as another forward and release Charlie a bit. Issue in finals for Charlie is he isn't a big body
My wildcard is Sam Durdin at FB. If he gets fit, he really helps Weitering and is a very calm player, takes the big forward and is only 27
Boyd, Williams add run to defence which we need
Docherty can play mid/fwd

I see so much upside in Boyd Williams Binns Durdin Motlop TDK Cerra Hollands.
We now just need to get better balance between attack and defence and work on our Skills

This may not be Round One but this is how I see it developing coming into Finals in 2024

I hope McKay trains for some Ruck time during pre season. He and Jack can do relief minutes.
I am hopeful O'Keefe or Lemmey start to step up as another forward and release Charlie a bit. Issue in finals for Charlie is he isn't a big body
My wildcard is Sam Durdin at FB. If he gets fit, he really helps Weitering and is a very calm player, takes the big forward and is only 27

We now just need to get better balance between attack and defence and work on our Skills
No room for Marchbank, even as EMG?

Wouldn’t have J.Martin as non-starter, if fit. Hopefully a full pre-season and raring to go.
Motlop needs to improve a hell of a lot IMO, learn how to make space and apply a ton more actual pressure.
Owies with a sprint coach to improve on that front. Valuable goal scorer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My best 22 + Emergencies pre trade & draft period:

FB: Boyd Weitering Kemp
HB: Saad McGovern Newman
C: Acres Cripps Docherty
HF: Martin McKay Silvagni
FF: Motlop Curnow Owies
FOL: De Koning Walsh Cerra
INT: Williams Hewett Cuningham C.Durdin

EMG: Marchbank Hollands Kennedy Fogarty

Hardest selection for me was JSOS/Pitt - opted for JSOS because of how he finished his season but content with either choice.

Last edited:
Not convinced Doch is a winger. see we're all pushing him wing/fwd becuase when you start picking your defence saad, newy (then some of kemp/boyd/williams) all get picked and then theres no room for him. Marchy/Gov better intercepters

Going to be interesting to see how he is used in 2024. Maybe off the bench

Not convinced Doch is a winger. see we're all pushing him wing/fwd becuase when you start picking your defence saad, newy (then some of kemp/boyd/williams) all get picked and then theres no room for him. Marchy/Gov better intercepters

Going to be interesting to see how he is used in 2024. Maybe off the bench
Doch not a mid, not a winger ... coach maybe doesn't think he is best at half-back. He's a star but I agree, there doesn't seem to be a snug fit.

My best 22 + Emergencies pre trade & draft period:

FB: Boyd Weitering Kemp
HB: Saad McGovern Newman
C: Acres Cripps Docherty
HF: Martin McKay Silvagni
FF: Motlop Curnow Owies
FOL: De Koning Walsh Cerra
INT: Williams Hewett Cuningham C.Durdin

EMG: Marchbank Hollands Kennedy Fogarty

Hardest selection for me was JSOS/Pitt - opted for JSOS because of how he finished his season but content with either choice.

I like this a lot and it strikes the right balance.

Unfortunately, if we revert back to slow kicks down the line and kicking to 8 vs 8 in our forward line, we'll be spinning our wheels. The blueprint is there; we can be as damaging as any team in the comp with play-ons at every opportunity and getting the ball into the F50 quickly. We've proven this.

Unleash the shackles and let the team play. Yes we'll give up a few goals out the back, but I'd back us to kick a winning score 9 times out of 10.

Let the team play.

I like this a lot and it strikes the right balance.

Unfortunately, if we revert back to slow kicks down the line and kicking to 8 vs 8 in our forward line, we'll be spinning our wheels. The blueprint is there; we can be as damaging as any team in the comp with play-ons at every opportunity and getting the ball into the F50 quickly. We've proven this.

Unleash the shackles and let the team play. Yes we'll give up a few goals out the back, but I'd back us to kick a winning score 9 times out of 10.

Let the team play.
Exactly right. Biggest room for improvement is our midfield/forward cohesion and leading patterns for our forward. Hansen is a highly rated coach but was slightly disappointed with his work on these areas (especially the latter) in 2023. Needs to be a big focus in 24'.

Will be interesting to see how it unfolds, particularly with players who missed the final round.

Players who missed the last game (& I'm expecting to be on the list next year): Williams, Kemp, Corey Durdin, Cowan, Silvagni, Binns, Owies, Carroll, Cuningham, Young, Lemmey, O'Keeffe, Mirkov, Akeui, plus the Irish recruits Duffy & Monahan.

Williams straight into halfback for me. Love that line with Williams-McGovern-Saad. Weitering fullback, Newman pocket, then it's down to Kemp, Marchbank, Boyd, Cincotta & Cowan for the last 2 spots. Doc a chance too but feels like he probably continues playing further up the ground, although we'll have to wait & see on that. Who knows where Young's at. Did the coaches prefer the taller back setup with Weiters, Marchy, Kemp & Gov, or the shorter one with 4 smaller players?

Small/general forwards I think will include Martin & Motlop, then after that it's a fight between Durdin, Owies, Fogarty, Cuningham, plus the likes of Cottrell, Hollands & Binns as a HHF/'extra wing' if we continue that.

Charlie & Harry obviously locked, then do we play Pitto w/ TDK for ruck & ruck relief, or is it TDK w/ Silvagni, or even a smokey like O'Keeffe or Lemmey (huge preseason required obviously) who jump up out of the blue to be the 3rd tall/relief ruck?

Do we continue with Cripps + one of Hewett or Kennedy with the other being the sub?

I'm not even considering any players that may join us this offseason.

Right now, I'd be looking at:

Weitering, McGovern, Newman, Williams, Saad (then another two from Kemp, Marchbank, Boyd, Cincotta, Cowan, Doc?)
Cripps, Cerra, Walsh, Acres (then it's three of Hewett, Kennedy, Docherty, Hollands, Cottrell, Binns, Carroll?)
TDK (then one of Silvagni, Pitto, O'Keeffe? Lemmey?)
Curnow, McKay, Martin, Motlop (then two of Durdin, Fogarty, Cuningham, Owies)
+ sub (kind of prefer a runner, or someone to add a spark, with a bit of versatility)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back