Toast 2024 Best and Fairest - Skilton Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

The point I'm making is that it's largely a list of uncontested, outside players. The only defender on the list is a mainly uncontested, attacking defender. No key defenders, no lockdown defenders, only two two-way players. You can get a good gist of what we're about from who our coaches perceived to be our top ten performing players. Compare it with Brisbane's top 10 from this year, or our top 10 from our premiership in 2012, and I think you can see where things start to go wrong for us.

It's absolutely not a criticism of the players.
There are plenty of teams with top 10s full of the types of players you're talking about who didn't make a grand final. I think it's a bit reductive to consider it at all informative.

Sorry, it’s getting late, I’m not sure what point you’re making.

Edit: Ignore me, I just saw your subsequent explanation.
Caesar88, I rated your opinions until this year. I used to find you incisive and have a good view of our team. Your views have soured a lot this past few months, like you're a different person. Sad. And now you have a go at our best 10 in the B& F. Maybe you should find another club?

There are plenty of teams with top 10s full of the types of players you're talking about who didn't make a grand final. I think it's a bit reductive to consider it at all informative.
But I'm talking about the teams that have won grand finals... look at Brisbane's last year, Collingwood's last year, Geelong's in 2022, Melbourne's in 2021, Richmond's in 2020. All have a variety of players including those types I listed. Ours is skewed far more towards uncontested, outside players. That's just a fact, not saying those players are or aren't deserving, it's how the votes panned out. I named my top ten players in the random opinions thread today and it wasn't at all dissimilar to how the top ten panned out in the B&F.

I'm just saying that it's indicative of our strengths and weaknesses as a team and a game plan. And I think those strengths and weaknesses played a big part in the outcome of our year.

On a more positive note, it was bloody good to see Heeney win a best & fairest. Kinda wild to think he'd never even finished on the podium before, and now he's won it in rather dominant fashion. (Won handily and you have to think if he'd not missed two games, his lead would've been more.)

I think it's a great example for any player who is mid-career and feels they have more to give and are capable of more than what they've shown (even if what they've already shown is great enough on its own, as is the case with Heeney.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast 2024 Best and Fairest - Skilton Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back