Game Day 2024 Brownlow - AFL & Nmfc

Remove this Banner Ad

Naicos 38, would have won it outright any other year, boo-hoo!
My brain didn't even click with that. Not only would he have won it any other year, but won it with the highest ever count.

Prior to tonight the record was 36 votes.

2 players broke that!

insanity.

You can’t tell me that this bloke is that good. He’s just not.
an under-discussed aspect of brownlow voting is that the umpires are way, way worse at voting than they used to be. the reason these marquee players rack up massive vote totals is that the umpires don't have the brain space to look back on the game and decide who the best players actually were because they're running more, considering more weird little rule interpretations way more than ever before. so they just default to big names and go "oh yeah he had a lot of the ball didn't he". Feels like almost every year a player breaks the vote total record now, it's going to get to the point where Nick Daicos or Harley Reid poll a perfect season because the umpires were too busy watching every player's ankle for an infringement of the new socks down rule.

it's harder to be an umpire than it's ever been, I think that's just obviously true. Why are they still expected to do this? It's not like it's a suburban sport where they're the only officials that are a constant of every game.

Absolutely no doubt that Cripps is a gun. But his season this year was nothing on GAJ’s best, Judd or Robert Harvey’s back to back.

The voting is ridiculous. Needs to be done by a 3 person independent panel rather than the umpires.

Laughable that Dillon’s missus put her foot in it by saying Bont wasn’t in the running.

Don't think it's too different to a guy who gets 18 votes from a team that wins only 3 games.
Was Cripps three times as good as Harry? No.

The Brownlow is famous for the fact that if you are losing, you rarely poll. This guy smashed the record for votes. Was his season better than any of the 10 best seasons from an individual player? I doubt it.

Crap thing is, it has such a prestigious spot in the footy calendar that people aren't going to stop watching it or turning up, and it's not going to lose any of its glitzy appeal. It's got too long a history to fade into obscurity.

Cripps with these votes would've finished second in 1977, a year where players could get 6 votes per game because each field umpire gave separate votes. ****ing lol

Was Cripps three times as good as Harry? No.

The Brownlow is famous for the fact that if you are losing, you rarely poll. This guy smashed the record for votes. Was his season better than any of the 10 best seasons from an individual player? I doubt it.
Yep, the last few years have been too heavily weighted to losing team’s guns.

Good player Cripps - but an average of 2 Brownlow votes per game is insane.

Peak Wayne Carey wouldn't have got that many votes playing in the East Gippsland Football League.

Yep. If you are talking dominant seasons Cripps season doesn’t even compare to the likes of Carey, Gary Ablett and even Jason Dunstall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good player Cripps - but an average of 2 Brownlow votes per game is insane.

Peak Wayne Carey wouldn't have got that many votes playing in the East Gippsland Football League.
Agree completely.

I'm also a little devastated Heeney didn't win so we could enjoy some more salty, salty tears.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Brownlow - AFL & Nmfc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back