Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal Count - Congrats Patrick Cripps!

Who wins the 24 Chas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably the most telling stat on this entire thread.
I think the Carlton supporters that watched every game of theirs , would know why the Vote total is so high.
and Patty Cripps deserves it ( for a second Brownlow Win as well so is a superstar of the comp )
The Bont being beaten by Adam T at the dogs was the surprise for me.

The umpires aren't watching most of the work Bont's doing off ball. I doubt they notice half of the deft taps he makes in congestion.

A select few know the results ahead of the count so they can leak the information to all the betting agencies so they can adjust their odds accordingly and minimise their risk. The AFL does this to ensure they don't lose gambling sponsorship and both parties win. Cripps came into favourtism late because the result was known before the count started. Of course in order to deflect any suspicion of wrong doing the AFL pretends as though the votes are secure. It's a farce that will never end.
Cripps has been favourite for months

You can't seriously think that whoever has the highest Brownlow vote total in a season had the best season in history. The numbers are meaningless and just reflect a whole heap of factors that have nothing to do with individual performance like how good your teammates are, how good your team is, what position you play etc etc. Comparing totals across seasons means nothing
Exactly.

When has the Brownlow even been a consistent measure of who had the best season?

Ablett Junior should have had 3-4 of them if that was the case.

Comparing Brownlow counts between different eras is even more laughable.

The game is far more congested these days and midfielders regularly rack up 30 while forwards can struggle to kick more than 2-3 a game.

It’s hardly surprising that it’s dominated by midfielders. It also isn’t like the other awards are much different either. It’s the way footy is these days. It’s very much a midfielders game.

Im still trying to understand how average midfielder numbers (~ 30 disposals) translates to best on ground every ****ing game. Yet only one person in the AFL averaged 3 goals a game but 4 goals doesn’t poll shit.

this is something that genuinely stumps me too, how is 30 disposals more important than contested possessions, intercept marks or metres gained? seems to me there is fair too much focusing on having the ball and not what you do with it or the stats that aren't recorded

Not at all.

It insinuates that the gulf and spread (or lack thereof) of quality is greater than it’s ever been thought. It would be interesting to a graphical representation of spread of votes over time. It feels like far fewer support types attract votes ever these days.

Eighteen teams obvious also dilutes the number of star teammates taking votes off one another.

20 votes now isn’t 20 votes in the awards yesteryear. This isn’t to downplay Cripps’ fantastic season where he was a dominant player, but it does provide rhetoric as to how vote tallies have changed.
Yeah I remember way more random vote getters in even as recent as 15 years ago.

It clearly changed once the game become really congested and as a result midfielders became even more loved.

People bitching and moaning about the umpires obsessing over mids but the coaches and media are no different.

Never got the ball off their own work and skills, eh?

If you had to pick a player to win a clearance, you'd pick Cripps first over anyone else. It's quite often that the top clearance player ends up winning the Brownlow now.

Cripps is very prolific around stoppages and that makes him very effective on that reason alone in breaking congestion and brining his team closer to goal.

You're not watching or dismissimg how good players like Bont, Heeney or Daicos (too name a few) are at hitting targets by foot. Cripps is as an elite handballer but he's kicking skills are not great.

Of mids that have played at least 10 games:

-Cripps is ranked with 54th in the league for kicking efficiency.
-He's 6th last for kick percentage
-In the bottom 20 for meters gained per disposal.

Cripps is still very effective despite this, amongst mids:

-Ranked 12th for Score Involvments % for their team
- Ranked 8th for Score Launches

But compared to other three I just mentioned

Cripps kick percentage is 38%, all the other three are above 50%

Cripps averages 12m per disposals, the other three are all above 15m

SI% all are above 30%, Cripps is at 28.5%.

The only thing that Cripps does better when it comes to getting his team in scoring position, is score launches 1.9 vs Heeney 1.6. Both Bont and Daicos are above 2.

Which confirms to me what I've seen when I see Carlton play. Cripps will win the clearance or hitout, will either do an elite handball or dump kick.

If you sweat on Cripps, it's not as effective if you sweat on the handball receiver from Cripps first possession.

Troubled childhood?

Sent to a boarding school?

He got sent to a private school as a boarder because he lived a mile away from anywhere out in the country.

Way to completely make up rags to riches story lmao.

Lmao wow

We have 24 rounds now and he had a historically great season in a team where not many would be taking votes off him.

I reckon he's a very big chance of breaking the record
Thanks Thank You GIF by BET Awards

rye maybe me and Danster really are the finest minds on here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People need to stop calling it a midfielders award. It's an inside midfielders award.

Contested Possessions total ranking by Brownlow Winners for the last 10 years:
  • 2024 - Cripps (1st)
  • 2023 - Neale (1st)
  • 2022 - Cripps (4th)
  • 2021 - Wines (2nd)
  • 2020 - Neale (1st)
  • 2019 - Fyfe (2nd )
  • 2018 - Mitchell (2nd)
  • 2017 - Martin (2nd)
  • 2016 - Dangerfield (2nd)
  • 2015 - Fyfe (3rd)

People need to stop calling it a midfielders award. It's an inside midfielders award.

• 2024 - Cripps (1st)
  • 2023 - Neale (1st)
  • 2022 - Cripps (4th)
  • 2021 - Wines (2nd)
  • 2020 - Neale (1st)
  • 2019 - Fyfe (2nd )
  • 2018 - Mitchell (2nd)
  • 2017 - Martin (2nd)
  • 2015 - Fyfe (3rd)
Who would have thought the most influential position on the ground would produce the most brownlow winners...

• 2024 - Cripps (1st)
  • 2023 - Neale (1st)
  • 2022 - Cripps (4th)
  • 2021 - Wines (2nd)
  • 2020 - Neale (1st)
  • 2019 - Fyfe (2nd )
  • 2018 - Mitchell (2nd)
  • 2017 - Martin (2nd)
  • 2015 - Fyfe (3rd)
And what about the coaches award?
  • 2024 - Daicos
  • 2023 - Butters
  • 2022 - Miller/Oliver
  • 2021 - Oliver
  • 2020 - Neale
  • 2019 - Bontempelli
  • 2018 - Gawn
  • 2017 - Martin
  • 2016 - Dangerfield
The above are largely inside midfielders. Gawn really the only exception.

Last edited:
I think at the end of the night or the next day the Umpires should be questioned over the votes they gave out that were questionable.

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

They don't want to do it and they're underpaid. Unless you thinking something dodgy is going on, I don't the think we should ask
As I said I don’t think it’s better than Koutas 2000 season and he polled less than half the votes of Cripps.

3-2-1 system has always even a flawed metric.

Kouta got 42 BV in his career, 3 less than Cripps this season. I'm taking Kouta everyday of the week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brownlow 2024 Brownlow Medal Count - Congrats Patrick Cripps!

Back