List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm starting to think pick 4 is better for us than pick 2.
It wont cost as much and possibly can keep pick 6 as well.

Really depends on how the draft prospects are graded by our recruiters.
Is it a top 4, then 15 in the next group and 10 in the next ?

yeah, I am thinking a little different to

none of these players are Harley Reid.

pick 6 is important and I am annoyed we did not get pick 3

probably select Lalor at this stage simply because bigger body, possibly more upside. FOS is not Fiora but still, he may not turn into Paul Kelly either Dermot Brereton mentioned his slight build on trading day show

we will know more draft night but what do other clubs want for their picks to detect value?

I think some are overrated slightly and others underrated but either way it is irrelevant if they go before or after our picks

the attractiveness of pick 2 more than anything is RFC, if they can get it can get both and collectively it is good from a team building base and they know each other and easier to build a team around rather than pure individual ratings which are up there regardless.

I actually think about FOS and think has he actually been playing in his best position, especially at AFL level?? it is not a bad thing but we need to build the best team. Bit like Lids, what was his real best position although Lids was a little different to FOS to

Last edited:
As the winner of this years Fothergill-Round-Mitchell medal for most promising young VFL talent, 21 year old Sam Davidson is an inheritor of a strong tradition with the last 17 winners going on to make it onto an AFL list. An outside leaning flanker or winger, Davidson is a powerful runner, solid overhead mark and an excellent competitor on the field, a mix of traits that should prove attractive enough for him to get picked up in the upcoming national draft.

Is competitive I'll give him that...might have a question mark about his pace...and ultimate possie...
Prolly want to see more of his game..

Okay, lets go through a few of these comparisons:

McKercher won plenty of his own ball last year. Yes he's not quite as prolific as Jagga at stoppage, but he's very good in that area and has a similar ability to go on those mazy runs to get from inside to outside the contest for a cleaner and more damaging disposal. Counterbalancing Jagga's somewhat superior clearance work, McKercher is a more penetrating and damaging user of the footy.

Why does FOS speak for himself exactly? McKercher is a significantly superior accumulator to FOS (at this stage at least), is at least as good as FOS at winning clearances, and is close to as damaging with ball in hand (agility, pace, disposal). FOS hits the scoreboard more, and is far superior aerially.

There are similarities and differences. Draper is more ballistic and explosive in his movement and comes across as a more intense competitor. McKercher is smoother and more composed. McKercher is a more damaging user of the footy by far.

To an extent this is an opinion game with plenty of subjective elements, but I'd be surprised if the general consensus is that McKercher wouldn't be a top tier pick this year. Last years top 10 was very strong, overall I would rate it slightly above this years but not significantly.
Your last paragraph is my point exactly. I’m looking at what the clubs would select with that pick. If the Dogs had pick 2 last year, do they still select Sanders? I think they do.
I do think Mckercher still goes top 10 this year, I was disagreeing with a post that said he would go pick 1 this year.

With the comparisons, Jagga is the type of player that gets the ball out to a Mckercher. So I would select Jagga pick 1 over him due to the fact that he wins his own footy. That power and penetration in his kicking should improve with added strength. - also rate Jagga’s character and leadership as top notch, that gives him more credit as he is a culture builder/stabiliser.. if that makes sense.

FOS is a big forward half threat. One touch goal kicker that will also play as a midfielder, sublime movement and athletic profile. Probably behind Mckercher in terms of overall skills but the traits he does have are a point of difference. And not many AFL listed players have similar traits.

And Draper, I like him. Not as much as others in the draft but still love the intensity. Would be a toss up here. The class of Mckercher or speed/tenacity of Draper.

Then you have Smilie, Lalor and Langford. All tall, big bodied midfielders that come with their own traits. last years top 10 lacked those bigger bodied mids (besides Harley)

So yes, I agree. Mckercher is a highly talented player and deserved to go pick 2 last year. But this year there are players that teams can build around. And where Richmond currently are, we need those players.

Twomey said #1 is still a line-ball call, still some options.

Said Sam Lalor first and is "spoken about a lot in this discussion". Also called him a future captain.
Then said FOS.
Then said Langford.
And ended with Jagga.

So nothing new but its from 1:30pm today
He went through Lalor and FOS, then of Langford he said "I think he'd have to be right in contention for one of these top three or four selections". He said "All those guys would have to be in contention", then almost as an afterthought he added, "Of course, Jagga Smith as well, probably on the verge of that too".

So according to Cal, it's probably out of Lalor or FOS for one, with Langford "in contention", and Jagga "probably on the verge", i.e. not. Sounds right.

His updated list should be tomorrow yeah?

FWIW
Are you ready?

1729142971600.gif

What is a draft expert?
So I guess I have a little bit of knowledge/experience when it comes to comparing talent.
Smilie is 195cm plays as an inside mid, Centre half back and pinch hits in the ruck.. that’s the type of prospect that goes at pick 1. You could build a team around him. Not an 182cm outside ball user.

And guaranteed if the AFL came to North last year and said if you give up your pick 2 this year, it will guarantee to pick up Finn O’Sullivan next year. North would have been falling over their own feet to take that deal.

Jagga also, better prospect than Mckercher, as is Ashcroft. So that’s 4 players ahead of him.

Then there is Sam Lalor, 187cm powerful mid that can go forward and impact with leadership potential. I’m taking him before Mckercher.

So being generous, Mckercher can go pick 5-6 in this year’s draft. Even then, if a club needs a Key position player then there are 2-3 that could also go before a 182cm outside ball user.

Still rate Mckercher as a top prospect, and I think it was the right option for North considering their list build and what was available.
just rate the players at the top end this year ahead of him.

(I would have taken Mckercher ahead of Watson for what it’s worth) - I’m a north bandwagon supporter until Tiges bounce back.
af98c-this.gif

STAY TUNED FOR ODDS AT EACH OF OUR PICKS IN THE FIRST ROUND! (Currently top 10 for now)

MEANWHILE:

Updated ODDS:

Richmond Pick 1

Sam Lalor $1.87
Jagga Smith $2.15
Finn O'Sullivan $2.50
Harvey Langford $14

Richmond Pick 6

Harvey Langford $1.95
Josh Smillie $2
Murphy Reid $3.55
Sid Draper $4
Jagga Smith $4
Harry Armstrong $7
Alix Tauru $9

Richmond Pick 10

Toby Travaglia $3
Harry Armstrong $5.50
Jobe Shanahan $6
Murphy Reid $8
Alix Tauru $12
Xavier Lindsay $12
Bo Allan $16
Taj Hotton $16
Luke Trainor $18

Is this our best 22 pre-draft?

B: Nick Vlastuin - Josh Gibcus - Nathan Broad
HB: Jayden Short - Noah Balta - Tom Brown
C: Hugo Ralphsmith - Dion Prestia - Sam Banks
HF: Seth Campbell - Jacob Koschitzke - Maurice Rioli
F: Mykelti Lefau - Tom Lynch - Rhyan Mansell
R: Toby Nankervis - Tim Taranto - Jacob Hopper
Int: Jack Ross - Kane McAuliffe - Ben Miller - Judson Clarke - Jacob Bauer
Black - Experienced
Red - Between 20-25

Im thinking we have a reasonable level of mature experienced players to guide the young kids the next 2-3 years
We really are in a pretty good spot before Tassie come into the league

STAY TUNED FOR ODDS AT EACH OF OUR PICKS IN THE FIRST ROUND! (Currently top 10 for now)

MEANWHILE:

Updated ODDS:

Richmond Pick 1

Sam Lalor $1.87
Jagga Smith $2.15
Finn O'Sullivan $2.50
Harvey Langford $14

Richmond Pick 6

Harvey Langford $1.95
Josh Smillie $2
Murphy Reid $3.55
Sid Draper $4
Jagga Smith $4
Harry Armstrong $7
Alix Tauru $9

Richmond Pick 10

Toby Travaglia $3
Harry Armstrong $5.50
Jobe Shanahan $6
Murphy Reid $8
Alix Tauru $12
Xavier Lindsay $12
Bo Allan $16
Taj Hotton $16
Luke Trainor $18
I like this. Bit of fun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MEANWHILE:

Updated ODDS:

Richmond Pick 1

Sam Lalor $1.87
Jagga Smith $2.15
Finn O'Sullivan $2.50
Harvey Langford $14

Richmond Pick 6

Harvey Langford $1.95
Josh Smillie $2
Murphy Reid $3.55
Sid Draper $4
Jagga Smith $4
Harry Armstrong $7
Alix Tauru $9

Richmond Pick 10

Toby Travaglia $3
Harry Armstrong $5.50
Jobe Shanahan $6
Murphy Reid $8
Alix Tauru $12
Xavier Lindsay $12
Bo Allan $16
Taj Hotton $16
Luke Trainor $18
not top ten,

top 12 probably if not more. Ignoring Kako, Ashcroft and Lombard will be matched before ten i think

not sure where those odds come from ? lol

Your last paragraph is my point exactly. I’m looking at what the clubs would select with that pick. If the Dogs had pick 2 last year, do they still select Sanders? I think they do.
I do think Mckercher still goes top 10 this year, I was disagreeing with a post that said he would go pick 1 this year.

With the comparisons, Jagga is the type of player that gets the ball out to a Mckercher. So I would select Jagga pick 1 over him due to the fact that he wins his own footy. That power and penetration in his kicking should improve with added strength. - also rate Jagga’s character and leadership as top notch, that gives him more credit as he is a culture builder/stabiliser.. if that makes sense.

FOS is a big forward half threat. One touch goal kicker that will also play as a midfielder, sublime movement and athletic profile. Probably behind Mckercher in terms of overall skills but the traits he does have are a point of difference. And not many AFL listed players have similar traits.

And Draper, I like him. Not as much as others in the draft but still love the intensity. Would be a toss up here. The class of Mckercher or speed/tenacity of Draper.

Then you have Smilie, Lalor and Langford. All tall, big bodied midfielders that come with their own traits. last years top 10 lacked those bigger bodied mids (besides Harley)

So yes, I agree. Mckercher is a highly talented player and deserved to go pick 2 last year. But this year there are players that teams can build around. And where Richmond currently are, we need those players.
I get what you're saying but I still feel as though you're underestimating or undervaluing McKercher. You mention that Jagga is the type of player that gets the ball out to McKercher. McKercher won a lot of his own footy last year, he's not just an outside type. He's a genuine and balanced inside/outside player.

Its easy to forget how McKercher played in 2023 after a season of watching him run around playing an uncontested rebounding role off half back for North. He's not an inside bull like Wardlaw or Rowell, but neither is Jagga. Both McKercher and Jagga do it differently, using anticipation, judgement, agility and pace to get first hands on it. Jagga is a little better at it, but McKercher is no slouch.

I’m pretty convinced we’ll come last in 2025 & yet I cannot wait for R1.

Three teenagers at the first bounce please
Even the likes of Juddy Clarke and Gibcus is bloody exciting

Can’t wait for the pre season x player has gained x kilos hype

What about Sonsie?
I had high hopes this last pre season and he’s burnt me pretty bad this year so I’ve gone a little cold on him

That all being said it won’t take much for me to jump on board
One positive word from Ceaser on PRE is all it will take

I had high hopes this last pre season and he’s burnt me pretty bad this year so I’ve gone a little cold on him

That all being said it won’t take much for me to jump on board
One positive word from Ceaser on PRE is all it will take
Sonsie is a role player at this stage, just needs to find the right players around him I think. Should not be thrown out yet anyway.

he has obvious ability and I think it might be more about us finding the right mix

I posted this in the trade and free agency thread. This is just my opinion.

We need to get the top 2 players on our board for this rebuild, as long as we aren't giving up more than 6 & 18. Yes the extra player would be handy but id rather pick 2 over 6.

Best #2 picks -
will ashcroft, noah anderson, andrew brayshaw,Cotchin, Josh Kelly, Petracca, Cognilio, Naitanui, Roughead, Ball, wells, walker, ottens, nigel lappin
vs
Pick 6
Jack Macrae, Wingard, Conca, Gary Rohan, Ben King, Yarran, no point naming the rest.

Theres a clear difference for mine. GET PICK 2
It's ok.
6 will be 7.
Dees are nervous

Eh I'd have FOS, Lalor as the clear top 2. Jagga maybe just sitting outside those two. No offence to the Jagganauts in here.

But I'll defer to the more prominent draft connoisseurs.
I'm not talking about posters here, but in the media and other online research

Sonsie is a role player at this stage, just needs to find the right players around him I think. Should not be thrown out yet anyway
Agree with that
Think that’s my main issue atm with him

I want to see him start to take some ownership around the contest especially around the ground stoppages where he’s done some of his best work at vfl level

Hopefully some of our sr guys like Taranto and Hopper give the kids some leash to try and dictate how we set up plays and what not simply because it’s the best way to learn especially if given some responsibility

You want us to take four talls, man. That's ****in ludicrous.

This draft has a strong KPP/Ruck contingent and we've got the picks in hand that should allow us to take the cream of the crop, so why shouldn't we look to bring in 3-4 genuinely talented KPP/ruck types, so that we can replace those that aren't up to it that are already on our list.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back