List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

This draft has a strong KPP/Ruck contingent and we've got the picks in hand that should allow us to take the cream of the crop, so why shouldn't we look to bring in 3-4 genuinely talented KPP/ruck types, so that we can replace those that aren't up to it that are already on our list.
We simply must find an elite KPF in this draft, its not gon be easy.

Sonsie is a role player at this stage, just needs to find the right players around him I think. Should not be thrown out yet anyway.

he has obvious ability and I think it might be more about us finding the right mix
Agree
Maybe an opportunity at half back now?

He went through Lalor and FOS, then of Langford he said "I think he'd have to be right in contention for one of these top three or four selections". He said "All those guys would have to be in contention", then almost as an afterthought he added, "Of course, Jagga Smith as well, probably on the verge of that too".

So according to Cal, it's probably out of Lalor or FOS for one, with Langford "in contention", and Jagga "probably on the verge", i.e. not. Sounds right.

Are you ready?

View attachment 2145851
Yep sorry, my paraphrasing was a bit misleading, just typed as I listened over once

Is this our best 22 pre-draft?

B: Nick Vlastuin - Josh Gibcus - Nathan Broad
HB: Jayden Short - Noah Balta - Tom Brown
C: Hugo Ralphsmith - Dion Prestia - Sam Banks
HF: Seth Campbell - Jacob Bauer - Maurice Rioli
F: Mykelti Lefau - Tom Lynch - Rhyan Mansell
R: Toby Nankervis - Tim Taranto - Jacob Hopper
Int: Jack Ross - Kane McAuliffe - Ben Miller - Judson Clarke - Steely Green
Get Kosi away from any Best 22. Edited it.

Your last paragraph is my point exactly. I’m looking at what the clubs would select with that pick. If the Dogs had pick 2 last year, do they still select Sanders? I think they do.
I do think Mckercher still goes top 10 this year, I was disagreeing with a post that said he would go pick 1 this year.

With the comparisons, Jagga is the type of player that gets the ball out to a Mckercher. So I would select Jagga pick 1 over him due to the fact that he wins his own footy. That power and penetration in his kicking should improve with added strength. - also rate Jagga’s character and leadership as top notch, that gives him more credit as he is a culture builder/stabiliser.. if that makes sense.

FOS is a big forward half threat. One touch goal kicker that will also play as a midfielder, sublime movement and athletic profile. Probably behind Mckercher in terms of overall skills but the traits he does have are a point of difference. And not many AFL listed players have similar traits.

And Draper, I like him. Not as much as others in the draft but still love the intensity. Would be a toss up here. The class of Mckercher or speed/tenacity of Draper.

Then you have Smilie, Lalor and Langford. All tall, big bodied midfielders that come with their own traits. last years top 10 lacked those bigger bodied mids (besides Harley)

So yes, I agree. Mckercher is a highly talented player and deserved to go pick 2 last year. But this year there are players that teams can build around. And where Richmond currently are, we need those players.

There's some weird takes around, but this is up there.

McKerchers year was insane last year. As noobermensch stated, you are severely underrating it.

Jagga doesn't get the ball out to McKercher, McKercher averaged 6 clearances a game and is one of the cleanest clearance winners we've just about ever seen at u/18 level. A genuine 100m player from the coalface. There's nobody in this draft class, not even Draper with the same consistent ability to clear stoppage by foot at u/18 level.

McKercher also averaged 1.4 goals per game to boot.

An offensive weapon that really has no equal at all in this draft class.

He played as a forward as a bottom ager and destroyed sides, played through the middle and half back obviously at AFL level. He is probably more versatile than even Lalor and FOS, but does it differently.

I don't see why you keep mentioning the athletic profiles of Jagga, Draper and FOS and not mention McKercher who is arguably the best athlete of the 4.

A 960 Yo-Yo who's 20-30m split is in the top 0.1% of the AFL which would blow those 3 off the park, including Draper and Jagga.

He went #2 behind Reid for a reason and there's certainly not those two in this draft class imo. "Still goes top 10 this year" is a head scratcher, the implication there is there are about 5-6 ahead of him, which is crazy..... Reid, Walter and McKercher would all go #1 (easily) in this draft based on their underage years imo.

Smith/FOS and Lalor are way more comparable to Sanders and Duursma in all honesty.

Richmond aren’t drafting him pick 1 if he was there.
Jagga wins his own ball and sets the team up, would select him before Mckercher. Levi has a good mix of inside/outside play. Selecting him before Mckercher. FOS speaks for himself. Draper is probably a similar type, though I personally wouldn’t take him ahead of Jagga, Finn and Levi. So Mckercher could go before him. And that’s before you add Lalor, Smilie and Langford who all have higher ceilings than Mckercher.

In no way am I trying to discredit the young fella. I’m just stating that the top end of this years draft is stronger than last years (excluding Harley).

As well as North’s list build, the outside class/speed is what they wanted. But if those players above were available it would have been a different story.

Oh boy. :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Trade 6 and 18 for 2 and Future 2nd round

1. Lalor - Martin
2. FOS - Cotchin
10. Travaglia - Vlastuin
11. Lindsay - Houli
20. Faull / Jack Whitlock - Riewoldt / Lynch
23. Hannaford - Lambert
the only player that is similar is Lalor and even then he may not be Martin.

FOS is more outside than Cotch.

20 is just plain incorrect

I had high hopes this last pre season and he’s burnt me pretty bad this year so I’ve gone a little cold on him

That all being said it won’t take much for me to jump on board
One positive word from Ceaser on PRE is all it will take
Caeser did mention Sonsie is away on holiday with Taranto and training together in the off season before they come back
Just have to tell Sonsie Shai is gone you will be our new Shai

I get what you're saying but I still feel as though you're underestimating or undervaluing McKercher. You mention that Jagga is the type of player that gets the ball out to McKercher. McKercher won a lot of his own footy last year, he's not just an outside type. He's a genuine and balanced inside/outside player.

Its easy to forget how McKercher played in 2023 after a season of watching him run around playing an uncontested rebounding role off half back for North. He's not an inside bull like Wardlaw or Rowell, but neither is Jagga. Both McKercher and Jagga do it differently, using anticipation, judgement, agility and pace to get first hands on it. Jagga is a little better at it, but McKercher is no slouch.
Hahaha I think you’re a Mckercher fan and I am a Jagga fan. It’s all good!! That’s why clubs have different recruiters and a recruitment team. Each draft watcher has certain things they look for in a player.

McKercher is no slouch, but I see a more dominate outside game than inside. Which is exactly where he should be with his class.

I just see Jagga’s style translating to AFL. He shouldn’t need to go to the HBF to find the footy. Even with his light frame, he see’s the ball off the rucks hands better than any player I have seen come through the draft recently. And if you watch the games Jagga played post Tiges VFL he seemed to be more direct with his possessions. Still wouldn’t want either of those boys to play on a Rowell on the inside but would put money on Jagga to beat him to the fall of the ball and Rowell to either give away the free or not being able to catch him with the evasive movements.

I think Murphy Reid is a similar player to Mckercher more than what Jagga is. So I don’t wanna make this a Jagga vs Mckercher debate.

Again, back to the original point that if Mckercher was in this years draft class I don’t think it’s clear cut that he would go pick 1 or 2 and depending on what the needs of the teams in top 5 are then he could fall outside the top 5.

For example, with Carlton holding pick 3. They could select him there due to already having a “Built” list. And seeing his traits as something that would complement their team.
Tigers would not select him at pick 1, as we are in need of inside dominate players. Pick 6 would be ideal if we got a lalor or smilie.

North could select him again at pick 2 lol but I feel the temptation of FOS and then having talls that are actually on the open market bring in more discussions.

No disrespect to Mckercher, just high on this year’s top end talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We just have to be in the ear of both Cadman & JUH as free agent targets in 2-3 years
We build the midfield and take some kpf and if by chance we luck out great but have to have a backup via free agent

He was never the guy, just thought he was. Shameless self-promoter who pulled the wool over the AFL-ignorant eyes of ESPN. Terrible judge. Prima donna. Egomaniac. Hack.
Don't forget every year Collingwood has the best list and always recruited the next class of All Australian's.

We just have to be in the ear of both Cadman & JUH as free agent targets in 2-3 years
We build the midfield and take some kpf and if by chance we luck out great but have to have a backup via free agent
Agree and Cadman the most likely, but we cant bank on that, we need insurance via this draft IMO

With our draft hand I like the idea of taking 4 of the best available midfielders with 1, 6, 10 & 11, then using 18, 20, 23 & 24 to target the talls and get our list better balanced for the long term future.

Outside Balta I have no real confidence in any of our currently listed talls. Lots of question marks over many of them and unlikely that more than a couple of Gibcus Miller Young Blight Gray Fawcett Lefau Ryan become long term players. With the talls on offer in the late first/early second round of this draft and our draft hand, we should go hard and bring in 2-4 options and start their development while we can.

Can’t wait to have Lalor at Richmond
He literally could be anything

He’s gonna stiff arm Harley
If we get him I’m going to go steal a Lalor station sign
It just needs to be done

With our draft hand I like the idea of taking 4 of the best available midfielders with 1, 6, 10 & 11, then using 18, 20, 23 & 24 to target the talls and get our list better balanced for the long term future.

Outside Balta I have no real confidence in any of our currently listed talls. Lots of question marks over many of them and unlikely that more than a couple of Gibcus Miller Young Blight Gray Fawcett Lefau Ryan become long term players. With the talls on offer in the late first/early second round of this draft and our draft hand, we should go hard and bring in 2-4 options and start their development while we can.
I am not sure I would be taking 4 talls that late, but I would be trying to get the best rates KPF earlier, whoever that may be by the Tigs.

There will be some bloody good players still available between 18-24.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back