List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't be trading any of our picks for pick 2

With pick one we obviously get the player that we rank as the best in this draft. However, the top echelon is so even that from what I have read up to 5 to 6 players have been mentioned as potential number ones at one point or another. So whoever we get at six is going to be a hell of lot better than you standard garden variety number six. And with club recruiters ranking players differently, whilst we probably won't get number 1 and 2 in our rankings, we might well get 1 and 3 or 1 and 4 etc in a super draft

That's hardly a booby prize and we get to keep all our later picks. And if God forbid all the players that we ranked 1 to 5 all go before our pick, we then have the opportunity of selecting Harry Armstrong who is considered the best key forward in this draft and who probably won't last to picks 10 and 11. And if Melbourne takes him as some suggest they might at 5, we definitely then get to select another of the cream of this years midfielders.

Keeping our draft hand as is and perhaps trading our last two into next years first round is the best way of maximising our return. Please if it aint broke don't fix it.

With pick one we obviously get the player that we rank as the best in this draft. However, the top echelon is so even that from what I have read up to 5 to 6 players have been mentioned as potential number ones at one point or another. So whoever we get at six is going to be a hell of lot better than you standard garden variety number six. And with club recruiters ranking players differently, whilst we probably won't get number 1 and 2 in our rankings, we might well get 1 and 3 or 1 and 4 etc in a super draft

That's hardly a booby prize and we get to keep all our later picks. And if God forbid all the players that we ranked 1 to 5 all go before our pick, we then have the opportunity of selecting Harry Armstrong who is considered the best key forward in this draft and who probably won't last to picks 10 and 11. And if Melbourne takes him as some suggest they might at 5, we definitely then get to select another of the cream of this years midfielders.

Keeping our draft hand as is and perhaps trading our last two into next years first round is the best way of maximising our return. Please if it aint broke don't fix it.

Yes I agree don’t trade to 2. High chance in thei even draft 6 will end up better than 2.

Only trade to 2 if north are desperate with a cant refuse deal. Otherwise i wouldnt be offering anything and take 6 to draft. We will get someone very good there.

Right now, I'm in the camp of keeping our picks and not trading up to #2. Perhaps if I was more confident in what we got in the 2021 draft things would be different, but I don't think we know yet how many of that 2021 batch are senior footballers. With that in mind and noting the reported evenness of this draft, I'd prefer the extra player even at #18 even in the scenario NMFC were receptive of 6 & 18 for 2

#1 Sam Lalor
#6 Josh Smilie or Harvey Langford. Jagga Smith if by some miracle slides to here
#10 Tobie Travaglia
#11 Murphey Reid
#18 Taj Hotton Or Joe Berry if Hotton gone
#20 Xavier Lindsay
#23 Jobe Shanahan
#24 Potential trade in 2025 or a slider we like

This gives us a mix of insider/outside mids, a general fwd and def plus a shot at a Key Forward and some ammo for 2025. I'd happily watch these kids grow over the next 3-4 years in place of finals and embarking on another dynasty 🤌

This is a midfielders draft, I'm open to some talls with the later picks but personally I prefer the strategy of trading in proven talls rather than speculating.

Can't wait until Christmas (AKA November 21st)

Not saying it should be pick 2 per sae although I don’t hate it either especially if we can somehow keep pick 6

But we should probably look at moving on a few of our “later” picks

We won’t take 8 kids in the national draft because it would completely fill our list and not leave us any space for the rookie draft or pre season supplemental period

So i definitely think either trading into next year or trying to capture better picks inside the top 10 will be on the cards

Is this our best 22 pre-draft?

B: Nick Vlastuin - Josh Gibcus - Nathan Broad
HB: Jayden Short - Noah Balta - Tom Brown
C: Hugo Ralphsmith - Dion Prestia - Sam Banks
HF: Seth Campbell - Jacob Koschitzke - Maurice Rioli
F: Mykelti Lefau - Tom Lynch - Rhyan Mansell
R: Toby Nankervis - Tim Taranto - Jacob Hopper
Int: Jack Ross - Kane McAuliffe - Ben Miller - Judson Clarke - Jacob Bauer
jep, pretty much. hoping grey has a big offseason in the gym and ****s kosi off though.
blight also another that could jump right up there with an afl pre-season.

Nice effort apart from having Kosi in there, shouldn't be anywhere near our best 22, even if (though) we're a basket case

What about:

Trade 11 & 20 to GWS for 15 & 16.

On trade 10 & 15 to Norff for 2. Exactly same points value.

End up with 1, 2, 6, 16, 18, 23 and 24
Stop with all these awesome scenarios.... i'm too excited and need to work!

excited andy samberg GIF

Not saying it should be pick 2 per sae although I don’t hate it either especially if we can somehow keep pick 6

But we should probably look at moving on a few of our “later” picks

We won’t take 8 kids in the national draft because it would completely fill our list and not leave us any space for the rookie draft or pre season supplemental period

So i definitely think either trading into next year or trying to capture better picks inside the top 10 will be on the cards
Trade into next year. There will be more retirements, more delistings, more spots to fill.

We are never going to get a windfall like this again. We have got a generational draft hand this year but by and large it's hard to get additional first rounders and early seconds.

This is all premised on how deep and strong this draft is, because if it is a 'superdraft' in the first 25 or so picks, we shouldn't be reducing our number of picks.

Ideally we could be death riding two other clubs first rounders next year which will be a lot of fun in what promises to be an otherwise very tough season. Again too many late selections in 2024, no problem, move them to next years :)

Trade into next year. There will be more retirements, more delistings, more spots to fill.

We are never going to get a windfall like this again. We have got a generational draft hand this year but by and large it's hard to get additional first rounders and early seconds.

This is all premised on how deep and strong this draft is, because if it is a 'superdraft' in the first 25 or so picks, we shouldn't be reducing our number of picks.

Ideally we could be death riding two other clubs first rounders next year which will be a lot of fun in what promises to be an otherwise very tough season. Again too many late selections in 2024, no problem, move them to next years :)
Agree 99%

But if we can somehow score pick 2 without giving up pick 6 I think we should just pull the trigger as well

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not actually as bad as I was expecting it to look. Chuck some youf in there too.

People are letting their head canon's get in the way of making the smartest list decision.
Take out the risk and take the best two kids in the draft at 1 and 2.
Also gives us the option of bidding on Ashcroft and Lombard before pick 2 to ensure Brisbane and Gold Coast pay almost full tote odds for those players.

Everyone worried about pick 2 being a potential dud but the reverse could easily happen and pick 2 turns into the next Bont.

Pick 2 is a must get. I don't care if you're mentally scarred from 20 years ago. It's the smartest decision to make.

As the winner of this years Fothergill-Round-Mitchell medal for most promising young VFL talent, 21 year old Sam Davidson is an inheritor of a strong tradition with the last 17 winners going on to make it onto an AFL list. An outside leaning flanker or winger, Davidson is a powerful runner, solid overhead mark and an excellent competitor on the field, a mix of traits that should prove attractive enough for him to get picked up in the upcoming national draft.

7 wins is pick 3-4

Exactly what I’m thinking.

Pick 3/4 next year is more valuable than 9/10 this year.

It’s not a super draft because of high end, it’s a super draft because of depth.

Pick 3 next year will be rated higher than pick 1 this year. Like Mckercher said of have gone pick 1 this year.
With all due respect, Mckercher would not go top 3 this draft.
Jagga, Fos, Smilie, Lalor, Ashcroft would be selected before him. even Draper, Lombard and Langford could go before him if he was in this draft.

Still a top 10 prospect, but this years players at the top end are the type of players you could build around. yes there is depth, but the top end talent in this draft will dominate the AFL in years to come.

Twomey said #1 is still a line-ball call, still some options.

Said Sam Lalor first and is "spoken about a lot in this discussion". Also called him a future captain.
Then said FOS.
Then said Langford.
And ended with Jagga.

So nothing new but its from 1:30pm today
His updated list should be tomorrow yeah?

FWIW

People are letting their head canon's get in the way of making the smartest list decision.
Take out the risk and take the best two kids in the draft at 1 and 2.
Also gives us the option of bidding on Ashcroft and Lombard before pick 2 to ensure Brisbane and Gold Coast pay almost full tote odds for those players.

Everyone worried about pick 2 being a potential dud but the reverse could easily happen and pick 2 turns into the next Bont.

Pick 2 is a must get. I don't care if you're mentally scarred from 20 years ago. It's the smartest decision to make.
Many draft ‘experts’ are saying the top 6 or so are very even. So if the move up to pick 2 costs us pick 6 plus another first rounder in a deep draft it might not be the best play.

If we can get 2 without it costing 6 plus another pick then it gets interesting but I doubt NMFC do that

With all due respect, Mckercher would not go top 3 this draft.
Jagga, Fos, Smilie, Lalor, Ashcroft would be selected before him. even Draper, Lombard and Langford could go before him if he was in this draft.

Still a top 10 prospect, but this years players at the top end are the type of players you could build around. yes there is depth, but the top end talent in this draft will dominate the AFL in years to come.

Ask the draft experts on their thoughts.

It’s been asked and answered.

By several as well

The fact you put smillie on your list says it all

It’s not a great top end.

So.. THE most important draft for Richmond in recent history. We amass a litany of draft capital, assembled a great recruiting staff, and just when it is all coming to a head, our recruiting manager passes away. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely sympathetic to the whole club, the Toce family, and the larger community, but this could legit be the plot of a dark comedy.
i had exact thoughts. Was very flat yesterday for the poor guy and his fam.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back