List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

They ain't all be there at 6. Who is your top 10?
From what I've viewed & taking into account risk & what we actually need, but also acknowledging I'm no list manager or talent scout.

Without Ashcroft & academy boys my order of choice.

1. Jagga
2. Langford
3. Draper
4. FOS
5. Lalor
6. Smillie
7. Reid
8. Armstrong
9. Tauru
10. Allen

If we sold the farm but somehow ended up with picks 1, 2 & 6

I know I'm going to be hung for dry in here by not picking FOS/Lalor, but I'd be stoked with a Jagga, Langford & Armstrong combo of 3.

Personally I think we should pass on pick 2 and pick the best we can with 1,6,10 &11 especially.
I'm hoping we can get the following:

Pick 1: Langford
Pick6: Lalor
Pick 10: Armstrong
Pick 11: Travaglia/Tauru

Then see what happens with the other picks.

I just think that Rawlings has put them in such a bad spot that they are compelled to trade 2.
As our Norf friend has said correctly, yes, they can pick Lalor or FOS, but is that really what they need? Imo, nope.
And if they do trade it, we are the only club with the suitable picks to do a deal.
They can trade a F1, but there’s an unknown factor involved in buying into a heavily compromised and not as strong draft. If I were them, I wouldn’t do it as injury could easily destroy their season, just like it did with us this past season. And the return won’t be that great imo due to the supposed strength of this draft compared to next years.
Blair is a tough but fair deal maker, and as said, we are by far in the best position to satisfy Norf.
If we don’t deal for 2, I’ll be convinced they were asking more than we were prepared to deal. We will just use the picks we have, and hope we pick Smillie, who I’ve come around to taking.

2 will be ours and we'll keep 6
erection GIF

Lets look at this from Brady Rawlings perspective

Does he want FOS?
Does he want Tauru & Faull / Whitlock / Shannahan

I think we have the answer

I just think that Rawlings has put them in such a bad spot that they are compelled to trade 2.
As our Norf friend has said correctly, yes, they can pick Lalor or FOS, but is that really what they need? Imo, nope.
And if they do trade it, we are the only club with the suitable picks to do a deal.
They can trade a F1, but there’s an unknown factor involved in buying into a heavily compromised and not as strong draft. If I were them, I wouldn’t do it as injury could easily destroy their season, just like it did with us this past season. And the return won’t be that great imo due to the supposed strength of this draft compared to next years.
Blair is a tough but fair deal maker, and as said, we are by far in the best position to satisfy Norf.
If we don’t deal for 2, I’ll be convinced they were asking more than we were prepared to deal. We will just use the picks we have, and hope we pick Smillie, who I’ve come around to taking.
Agree 100%

From what I can see, if North trade with us, they can get Taura / Armstrong, then Trainor / Shanahan / Whitlock, which is realistically their optimal scenario.

North are somewhat advantaged this year by the midfield heavy top end of the draft, meaning they can realistically take 2 of the top 4 talls by trading with us.

We are also advantaged by the evenness and depth of the first round, meaning I highly doubt we will be in any way desperate to move up to pick 2.

There's probably just as many question marks around pick 2 candidates such as FOS as there are around players such as Smilie and Langford at 6. It's not like we would be moving up for a guaranteed A grader.

On SM-A528B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Personally I think we should pass on pick 2 and pick the best we can with 1,6,10 &11 especially.
I'm hoping we can get the following:

Pick 1: Langford
Pick6: Lalor
Pick 10: Armstrong
Pick 11: Travaglia/Tauru

Then see what happens with the other picks.
Yeah, I'm leaning that way now we've got those picks locked in. There just doesn't seem to be a large enough disparity between those top dozen or so players that I'd want to reduce my selection from 4 to 3 of them.

Only way I see it happening for 10+11 is draft night. Carlton set the price, so from a North Melbourne perspective, if a guy they like is there, or even two, I'm sure they could convince themselves it's a great deal given the price pick 3 was

You don't handle business this way. This isn't Aldi where 2l of milk cost $2.55 take it or leave it. By your logic Dan Huston netted Port x + y so we should've got near to x + y for rioli when reality is we got ( x+ y) x 2. Carltons price is irrelevant to us.

Even Moustafa Akbar who lives under a rock in the Saharan desert knows that Nth took 🥔 Will Phillips over Logan McDonald and picked up CCJ off us and have terrible KP stocks. He also knows they have 6+ potential gun 1st round mids and their supporters will burn their club down if they burn pick 2 on another. The whole AFL knows they're infatuated with Tauru as he can play fwd or back. Taking him at pick 2 is also a waste as he's only sky-rocketed up the chart due to North's love. He's barely top 10 realistically.

Owing to the fact of the evenness of the top 10 pick 6 could easily be the superstar of the bunch ( Smillie the next Cripps/ Bont) and 2 could easily be more fizzle than sizzle (FOS/ Will Phillips). We have 8 of the top 24 picks that 17 other teams are salivating over we set the market. Precedence is out the window this draft as 80% of the other top 24 pick holding teams aren't interested in swapping. The club should stand firm and live and die by our picks and only trade if we get offers too good to refuse. 11, and 18 and a promise not to use any of our 4 earlier picks would be the most generous the club should be.

In regards to talls there doesn't seem to be any quality in this draft. Unless we go the Whitlock brothers in the 20s for a value type play I would prefer we just focus on mids and then hope there is a standout tall next year or 2026.

The club will definitely love an Armstrong/ Shanahan is there at 10 to take and definitely should use the 20's picks on like the Whitlock brothers. Don't forget we get Ross back. Mcauliffe will have opportunities now he'll have worked on his tank. Sonsie's still around and make or break. Hopper/ Taranto have 5 more years. Also odds are we get a superstar mid at Pick 1 in 2025. Can't run a club on hope. We don't need to nail our midfield rebuild this year alone. Trust me we're gonna have 3 years of misery and the great draft + priority picks that come with it.

You finished last

You lost your best and fairest.

You lost your equal 5th best and fairest

You lost your other equal fifth best and fairest

Your remaining best players are all around 30

I’m not trying to fight and enjoy chatting footy, but facts are facts
I'm not trying to fight either and I also like to talk footy, but facts aren't just facts when they're looked at in isolation, if the whole picture isn't taken into consideration then those facts can be misconstrued to read something different.

Yes, the core of our experienced guys are all around 30, I guess that's what happens when you gain that experience. You would have to agree though that Short (28) Hopper (27) Taranto (26) and Balta (24) could all be playing in 5 years time. Prestia (32) Lynch (31) Broad (31) McIntosh (30) and Nankervis (30) all have a good 2-3 years left, 4 of those aforementioned are also BnF winners, yes, we might lose a couple before that but it's not like we're at the Pies level. The beauty of these players is that they have multiple finals and premiership winning experience, and you'd have to agree that that experience is a rare and valuable trait to have, particularly with a shit ton of young players to come in over the next 3 years.

As far as the BnF is concerned, Rioli and Baker were pretty much the only players in the team that got near 22 games, skews the results a bit.

I know it sounds like bleating, but we had one of the worst years for injuries that any club in recent memory have had, comparable to the Eagles a couple of years ago. We lost 171 games to players in our best 22, compared to North who lost 73, that's close enough to 5 best 22 players missing for the whole year over and above what North lost. Again, that's not the whole picture, as a club we lost 262 games to injury, meaning that we lost our depth as well, forcing us to play players out of position and generally plugging holes without getting any continuity and synergy with the team at all. Just look at what happened to Carlton, Collingwood and Fremantle once they lost a few key cogs. The comp is so even these days that a 10% drop in performance over a whole year can lead to disastrous results. We are proof of the pudding.

I'm not disputing that we in for a couple of poor years, but you might be surprised to see us more than competitive than what all the doomsayers and pundits are banging on about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not trying to fight either and I also like to talk footy, but facts aren't just facts when they're looked at in isolation, if the whole picture isn't taken into consideration then those facts can be misconstrued to read something different.

Yes, the core of our experienced guys are all around 30, I guess that's what happens when you gain that experience. You would have to agree though that Short (28) Hopper (27) Taranto (26) and Balta (24) could all be playing in 5 years time. Prestia (32) Lynch (31) Broad (31) McIntosh (30) and Nankervis (30) all have a good 2-3 years left, 4 of those aforementioned are also BnF winners, yes, we might lose a couple before that but it's not like we're at the Pies level. The beauty of these players is that they have multiple finals and premiership winning experience, and you'd have to agree that that experience is a rare and valuable trait to have, particularly with a shit ton of young players to come in over the next 3 years.

As far as the BnF is concerned, Rioli and Baker were pretty much the only players in the team that got near 22 games, skews the results a bit.

I know it sounds like bleating, but we had one of the worst years for injuries that any club in recent memory have had, comparable to the Eagles a couple of years ago. We lost 171 games to players in our best 22, compared to North who lost 73, that's close enough to 5 best 22 players missing for the whole year over and above what North lost. Again, that's not the whole picture, as a club we lost 262 games to injury, meaning that we lost our depth as well, forcing us to play players out of position and generally plugging holes without getting any continuity and synergy with the team at all. Just look at what happened to Carlton, Collingwood and Fremantle once they lost a few key cogs. The comp is so even these days that a 10% drop in performance over a whole year can lead to disastrous results. We are proof of the pudding.

I'm not disputing that we in for a couple of poor years, but you might be surprised to see us more than competitive than what all the doomsayers and pundits are banging on about.
??? who cares???

I want to win premierships or prepare to win premierships.

at least Plough can say he helped set the foundation for us to win premierships with Dusty and others recruited from the tenure

it is a team game, we are trying to win premierships, at least Bolton made a move to do just that

Last edited:
All good mate. Im in this thread because

1: it’s been an entertaining read throughout the back half of the year

2: norths pick 2 is closely aligned with your pick 1

3: there is a chance at a trade

But honestly I’m perfectly happy using pick 2 on whoever is deemed best suited to north out of smith, fos, Lalor, Draper and Langford.

I won’t be unhappy if we trade down, and won’t be upset if that’s 2 for 6 and 18.

All good.
11 and 18, get it right.
We won't be trading 6 out. lolnorf should try and deal with another club lol

11 and 18, get it right.
We won't be trading 6 out. lolnorf should try and deal with another club lol

Or not trade to at all.

I think Langford is the next Bont after all.

Smooth mover. Exact same draft camp results. Accumulates, kicks it 60 no worries. Best mark out of FOS, Lalor etc. loves a running bounce.

Start him off half back.

Happy days

Ok, new scenario.

We take FOS at #1, then North goes crazy and takes Tarau at #2. That spooks the other teams and we somehow end up with Lalor at #6.

Then the phone rings. It’s St Kilda. Their targets are off the board. They want to trade. They want pick 1 next year and think our future 1st is a lock. They are offering 7 and 8 now.

Blair does it, nails the picks and then starts loading up on future firsts by trading out from pick 18 onwards. One of those turns into pick one next year. Genius 😎

Or not trade to at all.

I think Langford is the next Bont after all.

Smooth mover. Exact same draft camp results. Accumulates, kicks it 60 no worries. Best mark out of FOS, Lalor etc. loves a running bounce.

Start him off half back.

Happy days
You'd be the only one on the North board. Seems to be a lot there that think there are no stars in this draft. Admittedly that only started recently when looked like you guys would trade down.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back