List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm no doubt going to cop it and possibly even the :tearsofjoy: for this, but I don't believe that they are the clear best 2 in the draft. I also don't believe that the 2 of them together are best fit for us. I like the thought of taking either FOS or Lalor and then either Draper or Smith so that we get a couple of players who compliment each other rather than 2 of the same.
Im big on Lalor and open to trading down for 2; but I’m yet to see a video that stamps FOS as a #1/#2 candidate.

Can someone here who is bullish on him point me to a highlight reel that sells me that this guy is worth 2x 1st rounders?

Combine results suggest he’s got a good tank and speed that doesnt seem to translate to many touches. Good in traffic; but doesn’t seem to have a greatest skills.

I’ve been a big fan all year and 100% his year has been underwhelming but I’m projecting for the player he’ll be over the next 15 years and will not give a shit about his 2024.
The standouts for mine is his versatility & impact, he tends to make good things happen and the vfl game he played for us was a good example. 12 possessions but 6 score involvements. Naturally like to see him get a bit more of it than that but reckon he’s got the traits to translate in to an elite AFL player who we will rue watching in another jumper if we pass on him.

Thank you. And at a time when KMac and Tom Brown were our best marking forwards..! The club is hilariously incompetent currently.

The only reason we aren't all rioting is the hope that they can follow the newspaper draft guides and get us some talent in after all our star mid-age players walked out for draft picks. They obviously can't see talent directly under their noses.

The idea that the worst team in the comp didn't need to a free 6-month look at the best kid in the VFL... Jesus wept!

Mid-season draft was on Wednesday, May 29th.

Davidson’s averages BEFORE the MS draft was held (6 games):

12.5 disposals
4.16 marks
1.17 goals
0.33 behinds
(1.50 scoring shots)

Averages AFTER MSD (11 games):

15.4 disposals
3.54 marks
1.73 goals
1.0 behinds
(2.73 scoring shots)

In those first 6 games he had 1 x very good game with 20 touches and 3 goals (a game they smashed Ess 127-66). 1 x good one with 14 touches and 2 goals. And 4 x average or poor games with goal tallies of 0 / 1 / 1 / 0 and 8-11 disposals in each game.

So it’s a shame we didn’t pick him. But he kicked 14 goals in the first 5 games AFTER the MSD (after 7 goals in the 6 x games PRIOR to the MSD), and that’s where this ‘error’ really took flight.

If you swap those run of games we pick him for sure. But with only 1 x very good game from six leading into the MSD, it’s not a shock we bypassed him at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

what we need is genuine talent quality over quantity
fos and lalor 2 best players in the draft both can go forward and kick goals and take marks
the game is going away from tall forwards and tall defenders they are not as important as they once were
you can get a ruck from anywhere anytime just look at the ghrand final the last 2 years, we should load up on multi positioned players who can have the ability to win a game of footy,,clutch players
Is it but? I admit small forwards putting pressure on is huge now but top 5 this year
Hogan 77 goals
Cameron 64 goals
Daniher 58 goals
Curnow 57 goals
Ben king 55 goals

North can get a sweet deal if they are interested in future firsts.

Doubt they want to go down that path so it's trade with us or try to get a trade from the Saints.

No other team has good enough picks. Well Melbourne do, but it's hard to see them taking one gun kid at 2 and then the dregs, when they can take two good kids instead.

I don't mind trading for 2 but doubt we will offer better than 6 & 20.
Super Troopers Yes GIF by Searchlight Pictures

what we need is genuine talent quality over quantity
fos and lalor 2 best players in the draft both can go forward and kick goals and take marks
the game is going away from tall forwards and tall defenders they are not as important as they once were
you can get a ruck from anywhere anytime just look at the ghrand final the last 2 years, we should load up on multi positioned players who can have the ability to win a game of footy,,clutch players
Completely agree. Tall mids who can go forward and can win contested marks and kick goals are the future. It’s an extremely rare combination. Neither Cripps nor Bont are reliable kicks at goal.

Dusty and Danger could kill teams with their goal scoring power. Let’s recruit players like that 😁

He such a tenacious competitor that has alot of Baker in the way he hunts the player and the ball and looks like a perfect player for the modern game . Love this kids tenacity and will to get the ball combined with Berry , FOS & Lalor
look like a fantastic mix
Agree - Hanafords highlight package certainly places him within the top echelon of players (just one match) - if we pursue No 2 this is the opportunity cost we forego if we give up Pick 10 or 11. See a little of Buddha Hocking in him ! Sleeper of the Draft

I think I agree with your order

But it’s close between hannaford and Hotton

Would actually love both at 10 + 11.

Hannaford really did a number on Reid in the grand final , was just too quick and powerful for him , looks an a grade small forward to me that can run through the midfield reminds me of Papley
Hannaford also went to Ashcroft in the 3rd Qtr and kept him quiet, then Marshall in the last. Was strong defensively and influential with ball in hand. He’s strong, quick, booming kick and can play multiple roles, like him. Berry might be the more natural forward, though he likes a spin in the middle too. Haven’t seen Hotton live, only the clips, but elite athlete. I want more than one!
Cant Get Enough Dick Wolf GIF by Wolf Entertainment

No one responded yet? You know why, because there are no single games where FOS has taken it by the balls available. All the FOS fanboys want us to take it on good faith that he’s a gun but with no stats or footage to back it up. Little highlights and supposedly 2023 form. If we trade 2 picks to get #2 for FOS then our recruiting team is insane. For Jagga yes or even 2 or 3 others. I’m not saying we shouldn’t draft him but if you base it on current 2024 form, he would be lucky to picked inside pick 25. I know he’s had injuries etc but he is a very risky early pick.
So Josh smillie then? By that logic the most dominate game by any player this year came from him in multiple games at the start of the year

So Josh smillie then? By that logic the most dominate game by any player this year came from him in multiple games at the start of the year
I'm pretty confident he will be a Tiger if we don't trade and saw an article that he'd love to be a Tiger.

This is the thing that the so-called experts in the media have not even considered when carrying on about out 8 picks in the first 24. We simply cannot create enough opportunities for 8 top line kids to get the time they deserve next year. Remember that many kids from the 22 draft have not got to 30 games yet. This was the frustrating thing last season when we played older players ahead of the kids. Four early picks and one late pick would seem to be the limit in my opinion.

Disagree on this :

Gone: Rioli, Baker, Graham, Bolton, Dusty, Grimes, Naismith, Pickett and then likely Macca, Coulthard and one of Dow/Cumbo, if not both.

Then we have a few players coming back from ACL’s who won’t be ready early in season. Then there’s the normal injuries/suspensions etc…

And not all of our draftees will be ready immediately, and a couple probably won’t even be ready at all during 2025.

So I think we’re good to take 7 players in this draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some numpty in his YouTube mock draft reckons we would give up picks 6..10...and 20. For pick 2 and a future second rounder ...honestly just go to the draft with the picks we have and instead of FOS and Lalor at 1 and 2 ..just get Lalor at 1 and one of either Langford..Smilie .or Reid at 6 ..and use the rest of our picks and look to trade out either the last pick of round 1 and/or the 1st pick of round 2 for future firsts ...take 6 kids in the draft trade 2 into next year if we get deals we like

The top end of the draft is looking like going this way:

1. Rich - Lalor - it would be a mistake to take him over FOS
2. Norf - Tauru - if norf don't trade back
3. Carl - FOS
4. Bris - Ashcroft - Adel bid
5. Adel - Draper
6. Essen- Kako - Melb bid
7. Melb - Langford
8. Rich - Smille
9. Saints - Jagga
10. Saints - Armstrong
11. GC - Lombard - Melb bid
12. Melb - Travaglia
13. Rich - Lindsay
14. Rich - Hotton
If Smith is there at pick 6 we're snapping him up, a Lalor / Smith or Lalor / FOS 1 and 6 is an elite combo to pick up.

Yes. Crazy to give up a first round pick so that in effect we are punting two first rounders on a player just because he may look like he may have a few Dusty like traits. Our recruiting people would need to be very very sure we have the new Dusty. I can’t believe we would take that risk in our current position.
We will get two great players at #1 and #6 . But you just don’t know which players develop into something.
The greater the number of players we draft , the more likely we get a return in what is undoubtedly a very deep draft.
Yes trade out out our last pick on night 2 for a F1 from the teams lining up to make an offer at that point.
But we have to nail this draft and the best way to do it is by taking the full compliment in the first round.

Im liking Smillie at 6.
If we can get 2 it’s for 10 and 11.

Do we prefer FOS to two of….

Travaglia, Hotton, Armstrong, Reid, Lindsay?
At least two of these will be available.

I’m more inclined to let it ride with what we have.
My preference for the above would be to pick what’s available in the following order…

Armstrong, Reid, Travaglia, Hotton, Lindsay.

There is a world where Jagga is there at 6 or alternatively Langford. Worst case it's Smillie.

I think FOS should end up better than all these but how much better? Is he Travaglia, Lindsay, Hotton, Allan, Reid, Berry better? Definitely not.

Is he Hannaford, J Whitlock better? Debatable and probably a definitely not if Jagga got through.

Just doesn't seem like a viable deal unless it's 18 or 20.

You said we'd get all 3 picks for Bolton and all 3 for Rioli

Yeah, there was loads of talk of 6 and 13 for Rioli, and then 10,11 and 18 for Bolton. Rioli was 6 and 23 with 4 x picks back, so way less than 6 & 13. Bolton was 10 and 11 with a 4-pick slide on 14 and a F3 back, so way less than 10, 11 and 18 and significantly less than 10 & 11 on their own.

We did amazingly well but not sure anyone was suggesting 6 & 23 with significant ‘change’ and 10 and 11 with significant ‘change’ was ever out of the question.

6 & 13 or 6, 13 & 23 and then 10, 11 and 18 were out of the question and we got nowhere near these deals. Which most logical people knew was the case as we weren’t trading peak Chris Judd or Dustin Martin.

It’s definitely on we will trade our 6 and our next pick for nth Mel pick 2 to get O’Sullivan and Lalor then we get Jobe Shanahan Jonty Faull Dodson the SA Ruckman and possibly another midfielder

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
6 & 10? Would be a terrible trade. Un-do a lot of the good work we just did imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back