List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the massive strap over the quad probably didn’t help either. It’s his decision making when he has the ball. But 18 or 20 touches and 2/3 goals is elite.

I think when you combine hand and foot he’s the best decision maker in the draft (maybe Langford) at least using the ball. He does get caught trying to get through too many tackles but that’s hardly a bad thing.

I also think that Jagga, Langford and Smillie (and Ashcroft) are all supreme decision makers with ball in hand. Much better than last time I took interest in a draft in 2016 with McGrath, Taranto, Mcluggage etc..

But my absolute favourite thing about FOS is he’s physical. I’ve seen him line up and smash Jagga twice and when he lays a tackle he drives through them and when he spoils in the air he goes through the pack.

Also those pogo sticks in his feet are ridiculous, even around stoppages I’ve seen 3-4 times him jump up and either tap to teammates advantage or just thump the ball forward. He is also a target for his side from kick ins a lot because of it, huge difference maker imo to have a mid who can be marking target (Langford and Lalor also do this)

I think when you combine hand and foot he’s the best decision maker in the draft (maybe Langford) at least using the ball. He does get caught trying to get through too many tackles but that’s hardly a bad thing.

I also think that Jagga, Langford and Smillie (and Ashcroft) are all supreme decision makers with ball in hand. Much better than last time I took interest in a draft in 2016 with McGrath, Taranto, Mcluggage etc..

But my absolute favourite thing about FOS is he’s physical. I’ve seen him line up and smash Jagga twice and when he lays a tackle he drives through them and when he spoils in the air he goes through the pack.

Also those pogo sticks in his feet are ridiculous, even around stoppages I’ve seen 3-4 times him jump up and either tap to teammates advantage or just thump the ball forward. He is also a target for his side from kick ins a lot because of it, huge difference maker imo to have a mid who can be marking target (Langford and Lalor also do this)

Yeah I agree with this 100% he is also very elite finding targets inside 50 especially by foot. Jagga I’ve seen goes inside 50 but instead of taking the game on (which I’d like) he elects to handball off sometimes not the best decision but definitely needs to back himself more because he looks elite in traffic. FOS does get caught a fair bit in traffic but also in some of those situations I’d struggle to see Harley Reid come out of them. But on the wing if he’s alone the way he can step around any obstacle is something I haven’t seen since Heeney putting a rugby league step in a play. Jagga doesn’t have that elastic ability but can handball it off and almost 100% guarantee he’d get it back purely of his gut running

so two KPP, guys ruined by multiple knee injuries, guys from 20 years ago and with only Sellars going in first round?

I don’t know how low is too low but

Bont - 19
De goey - 17
Rozee - 15
Butters - 20 rounding up
Ed Richards - 15
Jarrod berry - 18

Other guys who slid due to injuries or perceived poor top age years off the top of my head

Judd
Selwood
Daniel Rich
Jack Darling

Elsewhere plenty of kids have picked up stats for fun and it never translates or only partially

O’Rourke
Billings
Paddy Dow
Will Brodie
James Aish
Toumpas
Bowes
Phillips
Braeden Campbell
Josh Ward (maybe)

Rich didn't drop. Pick 7 was a fair number for him in that draft. Darling dropped due to a rumoured off-field issue on school camp. Judd arguably didn't drop either. Hodge, Ball & Judd could have gone in any order. Selwood did drop due to percieved bone on bone issue with his knee

If you want to compare this draft to 2001, then the 'trade up' crew are saying let's get Hodge and Judd. The 'don't trade up' crew are saying but we can possibly have Hodge, Bartel and James Kelly.

But we have 14 other picks if we want James Kelly. We just don't get Bartel. We get Judd.

The 'play it safe, get Jagga' crew are saying they want Luke Ball.

Ok full morning done of watching highlights of what Cameron suggested on tigercast last night.

Jaques ok but ball drop is very weird.
Gerryn good lord what a unit - Carey like in stature could have plenty of upside his pace and agility great for a big guy.
Shanahan looks nice but is he competitive ? Schache looked nice in his draft year
Berry is an absolute must. Quick, good skills and can play mid.
Travaglia is a gun nothing more needs to be said
Smillie very good player with excellent kicking skills. He has a booming kick and a neat dinky kick
Lalor is very good in all aspects of the game.

I was at first a little flat hearing what Cameron thought but after the highlights I am all in for those selections plus Jonty Faull. We could fill many holes with this haul.

Xavier Lindsay, Dattoli and Hynes are also favs.

If you want to compare this draft to 2001, then the 'trade up' crew are saying let's get Hodge and Judd. The 'don't trade up' crew are saying but we can possibly have Hodge, Bartel and James Kelly.
I’m not sure that’s the home run example for trading up that you think it is

In their prime would have Geelong traded Bartel and Kelly for Judd? I’d say probably not

I’m not sure that’s the home run example for trading up that you think it is

In their prime would have Geelong traded Bartel and Kelly for Judd? I’d say probably not
Like I said, if we want James Kelly we can get James Kelly.

Bartel was a champion but he was no Judd.

And yeah, anyone in their right mind would do that trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rich didn't drop. Pick 7 was a fair number for him in that draft. Darling dropped due to a rumoured off-field issue on school camp. Judd arguably didn't drop either. Hodge, Ball & Judd could have gone in any order. Selwood did drop due to percieved bone on bone issue with his knee

Rich was favourite with NicNat for pick 1 coming into year and slid due to a perceived down year.

Darlings school camp might have influenced his slide but it was his ordinary performance at champs that saw him slide. He got blitzed by Matthew Watson in one game

I know this cos I watched it.

Saints trading 7 & 8 for 2.... not even Crazy Vossy would do that, unless they threw in F1. North's only avenue to trade back will be with us. Said all along, after trading 11&20 to GWS for 15&16. We on trade 10&15 for 2&64, leaving us with picks:

1, 2, 6, 16, 18, 23, 24 and 64

I'm not as clued up on what other clubs needs are, but seeing most of the phantom drafts, hoping (within reason) something like this eventuates:

1. Ashcroft (bid - **** em, no stand out player, so make em pay up. If Lalor the leader we think he is... he wont give a shit)
2. Lalor (Rich)
3. FOS (Rich)
4. Draper (Carl)
5. Smilie (Adel)
6. Armstrong (Melb)
7. Smith (Rich) - prefer Smilie, but suspect he'll be off the board. We wont pass on Smith 3 times. If Melb go mid, we go Armstrong.
8. Lombard (Gold Coast) - player bid
9. Langford (STK) - best mid available
10. Travaglia (STK) - only risk of Tauru not getting to North.
11. Kako (Ess) - player bid
12. Reid (Melb) - went tall early, go best available mid here
13. Tauru (North) - get their man (suspect if they miss Tauru, they might go Allan or one of the Whitlocks and try to get both)
14. Marshall (Bris) - GWS wont let Brisbane off paying for Marshall
15. Hotton (GWS) - they will go player with the biggest upside, have young kids to burn already so can be patient
16. Allan (WCE) - home boy and fits need
17. Oliver (Port) - replacement for Houston
18. Davis (Freo) - reckon he's the bolter. Home boy, playing against men... ready now.
19. Whitlock (North) - potentially Shanahan... which would hurt, but this is where our fingers will be crossed.
20. Shanahan (Rich) - next best tall, if not Faull
21. Hynes (Dogs) - best available midfielder, could even see them pick Trainor here as think they need to focus on defense.
22. Faull (Rich) - going on what others have said on tall talent. 3 elite mids, 2 players to sit in the spine. Picking for need with 23 & 24... anyone can be moulded into a running half back
23. Other Whitlock (Syd) - assuming they go tall
24. Jaques (GWS) - defender, to go with Hotton - particularly following recent departures.
25. Dattoli (GWS) - best available mid/fwd. Might potentially go Gerryn to bolster ruck stocks.
26. Sims (Syd) - expecting him to be a bit of a bolter. Reckon clubs will rate him higher than the Whitlocks.
27. Trainer (Rich) - given the amount of picks we have, reckon this is one we can risk. On paper, fits need.
--
28. Highest bidder. (Rich) If you wanted to use, taking either Hannaford, Berry and Lindsay still available if desperate for a small forward, probably a preference for Hannaford with a bit of X factor. Have an allergic reaction to drafting ruckman - always the buy ruckmen in. Gerryn looks built at least so not opposed (Rich)
64. Davidson, unused pick for KMac (Rich)

Results:
1. Lalor
2. FOS
7. Smith
20. Shanahan
22. Faull
27. Trainer
28. traded or Hannaford
64. Davidson or KMac

Last edited:
Baloney, Chris Judd was a complete gun but he wasn’t a magnitude of James Kelly’s career better than Jimmy Bartel. No way
It's not a matter of whether or not Judd was a magnitude of James Kelly’s career better than Jimmy Bartel. You can get a James Kelly a hell of a lot easier than you can get a Judd. There are multiple Kellys in every draft, Judds come around once a decade.

Gerryn good lord what a unit - Carey like in stature could have plenty of upside his pace and agility great for a big guy.
I'm glad someone else has said it.
Had heard & read comparison of other forwards but if you just focus on his forward craft thats exactly what I'm seeing.
He gets plenty of ruck time simply because he's pretty good at it.

But we have 14 other picks if we want James Kelly. We just don't get Bartel. We get Judd.

The 'play it safe, get Jagga' crew are saying they want Luke Ball.

FOS & Lalor are Judd & Hodge???? LMAO

Taye Diggs Wow GIF by Bounce

It's not a matter of whether or not Judd was a magnitude of James Kelly’s career better than Jimmy Bartel. You can get a James Kelly a hell of a lot easier than you can get a Judd. There are multiple Kellys in every draft, Judds come around once a decade.
James Kelly played over 300 games and was a key contributor in three AFL flags. There certainly isn’t multiple players of that calibre every draft

I understand the point you’re trying to make on trading up but that explicit example you gave is a poor one

James Kelly played over 300 games and was a key contributor in three AFL flags. There certainly isn’t multiple players of that calibre every draft

I understand the point you’re trying to make on trading up but that explicit example you gave is a poor one
No it's not.

James Kelly was a good player in the right place at the right time. Was never a #1 or even a #2 or #3 midfielder in that side. Good player. Take him out and they still win three flags.

Anyway, you're being too literal.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back