List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

doing 6 and 10 for 2 is sheer madness

It’s not madness if Jagga at #2 turns into Selwood or FOS at #2 turns into Fyfe, whilst Draper at #6 turns into Toumpas and Armstrong at #10 turns into Weidemann…

Any decision we make cannot be judged for at least 12-months, and probably longer.

It won’t stop the melting I know, and on the surface I don’t want to trade 6 & 10 for 2 ATM either … but given Jagga and FOS are not lasting until 6, it could be genius if North don’t accept 6 and 18 (which they probably won’t).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Don’t like the idea of giving away first round picks in a draft which is so deep and even.
This is the opportunity to load up.
If we take Jagga at #1 we are very likely to have Lalor or Langford/ Smilie / Armstrong still available at #6.
Travaglia/Lindsay /Reid at #10 and 11.
Shanahan/Hannaford/ Hotton #18/ 20/23 and then trade 24 for a F1.

I need to be sold on FOS. Just seems like there’s a lot of hype around him and promises that he’ll be a gun but I’m comparison to the performances of others this year, he doesn’t hold a candle to them. I’d rather go with the proven entity (as much as a draftee can be proven) vs the kid who might come good. Thoughts?
I look at in simple terms
6 & 10 could land you

A.
One of Draper/Langford/ Smith/ Allan

And

One of Armstrong /Tauru

V

B.
FOS.

Option A every day of the week for me.

6 & 10 could land you

A.

And

One of Armstrong /Tauru

V

B.
FOS.

Maybe even 2 of the first group if Allan is one of them.

I had a go at a phantom draft from 1-11 (excluding academy picks and father sons because they are inconsequential).
I have included Richmond trading up for North's 2 with a swap of 6 and something else.

Having looked at the needs of teams picking in this zone, I think that we can benefit from a couple of factors, which may cause some high-quality mids to slide to us at picks 10 and 11.
These are:
1) North, the Dees and the Saints should be in the market for talls, of which there are 2 obvious standouts, leading them to jump a bit early.
2) Many of the teams picking mids (Eg: Carlton, Adelaide, St Kilda) are currently somewhat one-paced through the midfield and are likely looking for players with speed/acceleration/agility to suit the modern game, who can burst out of contest, or damage with speed of hands.
3) St Kilda and Melbourne both already drafted first round wingers last year. (Wilson and Windsor)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick 1) Richmond
What Richmond needs: Best midfielders available, hopefully a mix that can be dynamic.

Verdict: Sam Lalor
Why? Because the tigers interviewed him a tonne of times and love him, plus he’s been widely reported as the early favourite. Leadership potential and X factor.

Pick 2) Richmond (traded from North for 6 + something else)
What Richmond needs: Best midfielders available, hopefully a mix that can be dynamic.

Verdict: Jagga Smith
Why? Best midfielder all year. Has a complimentary skillset to Lalor. Pure midfielder, who is from Richmond, with leadership potential, who has dominated for our VFL team. I think we will also consider FOS but I certainly think there is a greater risk around him, because he did struggle to find it a bit this year. I also think that Jagga compliments Lalor better, meaning we gain a smart accumulator/distributor and also a damaging X factor player.

Pick 3 ) Carlton
What Carlton needs: Midfield running power. Carlton are in their window but can definitely look a bit one paced in the midfield at times. They want someone who can impact quickly, and can help them win finals. They need someone with acceleration and smarts when bursting away from the contest.

Verdict: Sid Draper
Why? Carlton will probably look at both Draper and FOS here. Draper looks more ready-made to me, and I think will carry less risk and probably take less time to fit into the currently-contending Carlton team. I think FOS might take a while to fit into league level, coming off an interrupted year but should also be a gun in time.

Pick 4) Adelaide
What Adelaide needs: Midfield Speed. Adelaide’s midfield is pretty crap after Dawson. They’d love a classy all-around accumulator type mid (Jagga), or someone with good agility and acceleration from the contest (Draper) who can impact sooner rather than later.

Verdict: Finn O’Sullivan
Why? Unfortunately for the crows both Jagga and Draper are off the board. If either falls they would get taken here. I think FOS just has too much potential for the crows to skip on this pick and it's still a great fit. He has great speed and agility at the contest, which is what they need, but I think they’d prefer someone who can slot straight into the ones, whereas I think Finn takes a bit more time to develop.

Pick 5) Melbourne
What Melbourne needs: Midfield depth and/or Key Position Forward. Their attack was rubbish this year, but with Clarry and Petracca likely leaving at some point, they’ll probably also want to get another young mid brought in on an apprenticeship under them. Brayshaw replacement.

Verdict: Armstrong / Tauru
Why? Melbourne gets another bite at pick 9, where they can take one of the numerous good mids who can slide, they’ve got no first rounder next year, and I think if their current developing talls don’t come on, they’ll be screwed unless they bring a good tall forward in this draft. Good talls are scarce in the top end of this draft, and both North and Saints would likely take Tauru or Armstrong with the next two picks if they don’t strike here first.

Pick 6) North (received from Richmond along with something else for pick 2)
What North needs: Key position talls.

Why? It's been well publicised that north love Tauru, I think he'd be a great fit if still available. If not, Armstrong would be terrific for them to take some heat off Larkey and develop under Darling.

Pick 7) St Kilda
What St Kilda needs: Midfield/Forward Speed and Class with attacking mindset, and/or a key position tall

Verdict: Bo Allan
Why? The saints get 2 picks here so disregard the order of these 2. I think they will either:
a) get 2 top midfielders
B) get 1 midfielder and 1 key position tall
C) get 1 midfielder and a small forward

When I look at the saints mids, I think that they have a lot of physicality, defensiveness and strength, eg: Marshall, Steele, Windhager, Macrae, Stocker, Phillipou, Owens. However they lack speed and an attacking minded mid who can break away from the contest. The best mids still available for them at this pick include Langford, Allen, Smillie and Lindsay.

Langford is a big body with question marks over his speed, so I don't think this gives them much of a point of difference.
Smillie is a big body as well, not exceptionally quick, with question marks over his combativeness. I think the saints have just moved past the development period of Phillipou and Owen's, where they've been growing into their body's and will look for someone who can impact in sooner, rather than taking another 'manchild' type mid who may take another couple of years to develop. Therefore they pass on Smillie. The saints drafted Wilson early last year, so that's why I think they pass on Lindsay.

I think Bo Allen is a perfect fit for St Kilda. An all round good midfielder with great accelerate out of the contest. Also has ferocity and great defensiveness which Ross Lyon will love. I'm big on Allen and don't think the saints will overlook him. I deffinitely can't see him getting past the tigers at 10.

Pick 8) St Kilda
What St Kilda needs: Midfield/Forward Speed and Class, and/or a key position tall

Verdict: Hotton / Trainor
Why? The saints have just lost Battle and Membrey. Both Wilkie and King need support desperately. I think the saints could easily draft the best remaining tall available in Trainor, who could be a genuine swing man.

Otherwise, they could draft again with a focus on speed and footy smarts, supporting Higgins as a small forward by going with Hotton, who I have also seen linked to the saints. I reckon they will bid on Kako, and might settle for Hotton.

Smillie, Langford and Lindsay are not picked again, for the same reasons listed above.

Pick 9) Melbourne
What Melbourne needs: Midfield depth and/or Key Position Forward. Their scoring was rubbish this year, but with Clarry and Petracca likely leaving at some point, they’ll probably want to get another young mid-in on an apprenticeship. Brayshaw replacement.

Verdict: Josh Smillie
Why? The Dee's have already taken Armstrong as a tall and won't leave the draft without at least 1 top mid. They have long been linked to Smillie and I can't see him falling past here. The Dee's would be thrilled with both Armstrong and Smillie, and he could learn from the best imposing mids in Petracca and Clarry.

Langford is also an option, but the it's well publicised the Dee's are keen on Smillie. So I think out of the two big body's they would go for him. They also took Windsor early last year so I think they will pass on taking another winger like Lindsay.

Pick 10) Richmond

Verdict: Harvey Langford
Why? The Tigers have holes everywhere so are somewhat privileged in not needing to draft specifically based on position. Yes they need tall forwards, but with a glut of late first rounders they can bring in some talls then. Likewise, many of the teams above will prioritise mids who have breakaway speed from contest as a point of difference. Langford may not be quick, but he is too good to leave at this point, the tiges snap up the lifelong Richmond fan.

Pick 11) Richmond

Verdict: Xavier Lindsay
Why? Again, another sliding mid who based on talent could go anywhere from pick 5. I think he slides based on the 4 picks which are held by both the Dee's and saints, who drafted wingers in Windsor and Wilson respectively in last year's draft. The tigers would be stoked with Lindsay, who compliments their early midfield selections by providing some outside class and footy smarts.

Interested to hear what people think. I'm clearly biased, but I also think this is entirely possible. in my opinion, this would just about be Richmond's perfect start to the draft I think, with all 4 talented mids offering different/complimentary skillsets.

Good summary … thanks for the effort. I think there’s zero chance Smillie and Langford both last beyond 8. Maybe one slides… but I even highly doubt that. I also think FOS goes at #3 if available. At his best he’s precisely what Carlton need … even if he’s not an accumulator in future it doesn’t matter … they need class around the ball and half forward and he’s got that in spades.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

6 & 10 could land you

A.

And

One of Armstrong /Tauru

V

B.
FOS.

logical star trek GIF

I had a go at a phantom draft from 1-11 (excluding academy picks and father sons because they are inconsequential).
I have included Richmond trading up for North's 2 with a swap of 6 and something else.

Having looked at the needs of teams picking in this zone, I think that we can benefit from a couple of factors, which may cause some high-quality mids to slide to us at picks 10 and 11.
These are:
1) North, the Dees and the Saints should be in the market for talls, of which there are 2 obvious standouts, leading them to jump a bit early.
2) Many of the teams picking mids (Eg: Carlton, Adelaide, St Kilda) are currently somewhat one-paced through the midfield and are likely looking for players with speed/acceleration/agility to suit the modern game, who can burst out of contest, or damage with speed of hands.
3) St Kilda and Melbourne both already drafted first round wingers last year. (Wilson and Windsor)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick 1) Richmond

Why? Because the tigers interviewed him a tonne of times and love him, plus he’s been widely reported as the early favourite. Leadership potential and X factor.

Why? Best midfielder all year. Has a complimentary skillset to Lalor. Pure midfielder, who is from Richmond, with leadership potential, who has dominated for our VFL team. I think we will also consider FOS but I certainly think there is a greater risk around him, because he did struggle to find it a bit this year. I also think that Jagga compliments Lalor better, meaning we gain a smart accumulator/distributor and also a damaging X factor player.

Pick 3 ) Carlton
What Carlton needs: Midfield running power. Carlton are in their window but can definitely look a bit one paced in the midfield at times. They want someone who can impact quickly, and can help them win finals. They need someone with acceleration and smarts when bursting away from the contest.

Why? Carlton will probably look at both Draper and FOS here. Draper looks more ready-made to me, and I think will carry less risk and probably take less time to fit into the currently-contending Carlton team. I think FOS might take a while to fit into league level, coming off an interrupted year but should also be a gun in time.

Pick 4) Adelaide
What Adelaide needs: Midfield Speed. Adelaide’s midfield is pretty crap after Dawson. They’d love a classy all-around accumulator type mid (Jagga), or someone with good agility and acceleration from the contest (Draper) who can impact sooner rather than later.

Why? Unfortunately for the crows both Jagga and Draper are off the board. If either falls they would get taken here. I think FOS just has too much potential for the crows to skip on this pick and it's still a great fit. He has great speed and agility at the contest, which is what they need, but I think they’d prefer someone who can slot straight into the ones, whereas I think Finn takes a bit more time to develop.

Pick 5) Melbourne
What Melbourne needs: Midfield depth and/or Key Position Forward. Their attack was rubbish this year, but with Clarry and Petracca likely leaving at some point, they’ll probably also want to get another young mid brought in on an apprenticeship under them. Brayshaw replacement.

Why? Melbourne gets another bite at pick 9, where they can take one of the numerous good mids who can slide, they’ve got no first rounder next year, and I think if their current developing talls don’t come on, they’ll be screwed unless they bring a good tall forward in this draft. Good talls are scarce in the top end of this draft, and both North and Saints would likely take Tauru or Armstrong with the next two picks if they don’t strike here first.

Why? It's been well publicised that north love Tauru, I think he'd be a great fit if still available. If not, Armstrong would be terrific for them to take some heat off Larkey and develop under Darling.

Pick 7) St Kilda
What St Kilda needs: Midfield/Forward Speed and Class with attacking mindset, and/or a key position tall

Why? The saints get 2 picks here so disregard the order of these 2. I think they will either:
a) get 2 top midfielders

When I look at the saints mids, I think that they have a lot of physicality, defensiveness and strength, eg: Marshall, Steele, Windhager, Macrae, Stocker, Phillipou, Owens. However they lack speed and an attacking minded mid who can break away from the contest. The best mids still available for them at this pick include Langford, Allen, Smillie and Lindsay.

Langford is a big body with question marks over his speed, so I don't think this gives them much of a point of difference.
Smillie is a big body as well, not exceptionally quick, with question marks over his combativeness. I think the saints have just moved past the development period of Phillipou and Owen's, where they've been growing into their body's and will look for someone who can impact in sooner, rather than taking another 'manchild' type mid who may take another couple of years to develop. Therefore they pass on Smillie. The saints drafted Wilson early last year, so that's why I think they pass on Lindsay.

I think Bo Allen is a perfect fit for St Kilda. An all round good midfielder with great accelerate out of the contest. Also has ferocity and great defensiveness which Ross Lyon will love. I'm big on Allen and don't think the saints will overlook him. I deffinitely can't see him getting past the tigers at 10.

Pick 8) St Kilda
What St Kilda needs: Midfield/Forward Speed and Class, and/or a key position tall

Why? The saints have just lost Battle and Membrey. Both Wilkie and King need support desperately. I think the saints could easily draft the best remaining tall available in Trainor, who could be a genuine swing man.

Otherwise, they could draft again with a focus on speed and footy smarts, supporting Higgins as a small forward by going with Hotton, who I have also seen linked to the saints. I reckon they will bid on Kako, and might settle for Hotton.

Smillie, Langford and Lindsay are not picked again, for the same reasons listed above.

Pick 9) Melbourne
What Melbourne needs: Midfield depth and/or Key Position Forward. Their scoring was rubbish this year, but with Clarry and Petracca likely leaving at some point, they’ll probably want to get another young mid-in on an apprenticeship. Brayshaw replacement.

Why? The Dee's have already taken Armstrong as a tall and won't leave the draft without at least 1 top mid. They have long been linked to Smillie and I can't see him falling past here. The Dee's would be thrilled with both Armstrong and Smillie, and he could learn from the best imposing mids in Petracca and Clarry.

Langford is also an option, but the it's well publicised the Dee's are keen on Smillie. So I think out of the two big body's they would go for him. They also took Windsor early last year so I think they will pass on taking another winger like Lindsay.

Pick 10) Richmond

Why? The Tigers have holes everywhere so are somewhat privileged in not needing to draft specifically based on position. Yes they need tall forwards, but with a glut of late first rounders they can bring in some talls then. Likewise, many of the teams above will prioritise mids who have breakaway speed from contest as a point of difference. Langford may not be quick, but he is too good to leave at this point, the tiges snap up the lifelong Richmond fan.

Pick 11) Richmond

Why? Again, another sliding mid who based on talent could go anywhere from pick 5. I think he slides based on the 4 picks which are held by both the Dee's and saints, who drafted wingers in Windsor and Wilson respectively in last year's draft. The tigers would be stoked with Lindsay, who compliments their early midfield selections by providing some outside class and footy smarts.

Interested to hear what people think. I'm clearly biased, but I also think this is entirely possible. in my opinion, this would just about be Richmond's perfect start to the draft I think, with all 4 talented mids offering different/complimentary skillsets.
Don't know what others think, but I'd be stoked with that haul, might be a few picks different, like the Dees take the best available mid at 5 then a small forward at 9 (Berry) or a player like Lindsay who also has a deadly foot.

I don't think that we'd trade pick 6 and another 1st round pick to snag Jagger at 2 as he could still be on the board at 6.

What the trading period identified to me was that teams we're keen on HBF's and intercepting defenders, could be that they were the only types available.

Yze stated from the outset that he wants highly skilled players, in particular those that can deliver by foot with precision, vision and penetration and realistically that's what all coaches want, of course mixed with the other highly rated traits like ball winning ability, 2 way players, leadership and last but by no means least, competitiveness.

From what I can see there's a standout 4 players that fit that criteria and in no particular order, Lindsay who can play wing, HBF and transition into the midfield, Langford as a high HF also transitioning to the mids, Berry who could be similar but more a Lambert style and Harrison Oliver who's delivery by foot is outstanding, his courage and competitiveness are standout traits. Smillie could be classed here but just a step down.

My hope is that Armstrong, Tauru and Travaglia get taken by those teams above us between picks 5-9 and that we take Langford at 6, I know he tested slow but he just seems to make the most of his positioning and is a real force forward of centre. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dees take Smillie before that, the Saints probably can't pass on Jagga at 7 or 8 and then take Travaglia, Trainor or Armstrong with their next pick. Reckon the Dees might trade out 5 to North who'll take Tauru, meaning Smillie might be available at 9. We could then pick up Lindsay and Hotton and bank on Oliver slipping to 18.

Something like this if we keep 6, ignoring F/S's and Academy picks (Dees trade 5 for 2)

1. Lalor (Tigers)
2. FOS (Dees)
3. Draper (Blues)
4. Jagga (Crows)
5. Tauru (North)
6. Langford (Tigers)
7. Smillie (Saints)
8. Armstrong (Saints)
9. Travaglia (Dees)
10. Lindsay (Tigers)
11. Hotton/Berry (Tigers)
18 Harrison Oliver (Tigers)
20. Kayle Gerreyn (Tigers)
23. Trainor (Tigers)
24. Keep trading back for F1 and F2's

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This thread on draft night will be the craziest thread we've seen since Dusty tore Geelong apart in the 20 granny. Can't wait.
whens the draft

how much longer do we have to play pass the penis ?

Lalor looks like he can kick 55m+ with ease. That is so damaging in the modern game. Been a Jagga fan boy for ages, but think Lalor is going to end up the most damaging player from this draft. Lovely kick. Overhead mark, tackles like a beast. Hard nut. Can go forward and kick a goal
Can he shrug a tackle?

Can he shrug a tackle?

"Lalor has the strongest hips in the draft pool. He wrenches the ball out of the contest with opponents converging, and with a flick of the hips tacklers are left in the dirt. Lalor's raw power is a trait very few possess.'"

Last edited:

These are:

Pick 1) Richmond

Pick 3 ) Carlton

Pick 4) Adelaide

Pick 5) Melbourne

Pick 7) St Kilda

a) get 2 top midfielders

Pick 8) St Kilda

Pick 9) Melbourne

Pick 10) Richmond

Pick 11) Richmond

As long as we pick J.Smith.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back