List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I personally wouldn't trade anything more than 6+20 for their pick 2.

Firstly there isn't a massive gap in talent between 2 and 6. There is no massive standout to trade up much for. Pick 2 isn't going to get us a significantly better player. It will just give us the first choice of a relatively even talent of the first 6-7 players of similar quality.

Secondly, which other club could realistically offer something better than the offer of 6 + 20? Saints and Melbourne are not going going to offer both their top 10 picks. The offer of 6 + 20 is better than GWS picks 15 +16.

Frankly I'm happy to walk to the draft with what we have.
question.

Let us ignore pick 2 and pick 6 for the nmoment.

Lets assume 4 , 5, 7, 8 ,9 where separately getable (hypothetically)

What would you trade for RFC to move up to get pick 8, or 7, or 5 or even 4. ( in this scenario there is a assumption 6 cannot be traded and is in quarantine for the sake of this study)

I am going to try and be realistic and assume since CFC went all out for pick 3, they will not be trading it unless it is for something way over the top in CFC's favour

pirates abandon thread GIF

I have a question

North is looking to split pick 2 or get something else for 2 at least

Most clubs do not have RFC bevy of picks. What does that mean?? all things being equal advantage to RFC as other clubs do not have our pick value flexibility

So why does RFC not look at trading up to pick 4 or 5 or 7 or 8 or 9 using their later picks in the twenties as part compo for moving up? why be bewitched by North? We still know what we want and what do other clubs want that suits us?

Why would Adelaide, or Saint Kilda or Melbourne not look at a different combo?? I am not suggesting throwing the baby out with the bathwater but can we get a better chance of getting the main players we want at minimal cost to who we are chasing?

We cannot have everything but it would be good to have more of what we mostly want I think. Does this mean moving up but in moderation on balance?

The other thing is it is not just about North.

Basically there are a number of clubs in the top ten chasing draftees including RFC. What do the other clubs want? Can we help each other out. The thing for RFC to is we have thE opportunity to get some quality in that have a good chance to bond and gel because, at the day, the game is about winning premierships in a team format, not simply collecting draft talent
The two players we presume the club wants will be gone in the first 2 possibly 3 picks. And North wants to deal. Losing picks for 5 or 7 or 8 might not be a good deal or a priority.

Last edited:
The two players we presume the club wants will be gone in the first 2 possibly 3 picks. And North wants to deal. Losing picks for 5 or 7 or 8 might be not be a good deal or a priority.
as you stated that is a presumption.

it may not be a good deal or as much a priority but could we could have landed pick 3 in the bolton trade possibly? Numbers mean nothing of course apart from access and possible other trading values opens.

at the end of the day we are more likely to want five selections than two selections.

We are more likely to want five quality selections than eight selections. Now this is just a balanced theory, I am not thinking of players specifically in mind at all, at least at a conscious level.

The point is, like I stated, we cannot have everything and it would be better not to cut our nose off despite our face.

So in moderation, given we are dealing with probabilities after 1 which we have and 2 if we even get it, we will not know for sure who is available after certain picks but have an idea. Are we better off trying to nab Saints pick 8 for pick 11 if they also want a future second rounder or less( for example just throwing it out there)??

to me, nothing is absolute but there is a two and then a four or five or six, then there is another two and then another one or two before it drops a little I think, but that is just me. This is why pick 6 and other picks around it to me are more important in terms of quality and building combinations for team synergies. They traded away pick 28 to get it so will not want too late a pick(s) in 2024 if gettable

for example, not knowing a lot about the other clubs desires, theoretically Melbournes pick 9 could be gettable simply because they only have two picks, so they could well want more and it is a later pick anyway

Last edited:
why none of the kids said lalor will go number 1?

reckon in this draft there could be plenty of duds

ive seen this movie before

I 100% guarantee there’ll be plenty of duds from when we take our first pick at #1 and our last pick around #30.

2017 was on reflection a very strong draft compared to most. Still contained 10 x ‘duds’ in the top-30. 2001 was the Hodge/Ball/Judd ‘super draft’. 14 x ‘duds’ in the top-30.

So if we take 6 x players, it’s likely 2-3 are ‘duds’.

We’ve just got to pray we avoid them, which given everyone has pretty much the same top-30 is mostly just dumb luck.

And this is why we may make a play for #2, as whilst picks 1 and 2 may not be superstars or end up the best players in the draft, very few are ‘dud’ players. Ie. McGrath is a ‘dud’ #1, but he’s not a dud player.

In fact there has been 48 x picks 1-2 since 2000… the only ones I’d regard as ‘duds’ are:

Scott Gumbleton
Trengove
Patton
O’Rourke
Tom Boyd
McCartin
Schache

So most of those were duds due to physical or mental health. And Boyd should’ve won a NS.

And the last ‘dud’ top-2 pick was 2015 (Schache).

In other words … at pick 1 and 2 were are not getting Corey Ellis, Chris Egan, Ben Lennon, Adam Pattison, Danny Meyer, John Meesen or Lachie O’Brien.

But picks 10+ we might ……. history tells you this.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going on what Hartley said about trading up or down, what is your interpretation of "if we can stagger it out we will".

I would have thought 1, 6, 10, 11, 18, 20, 23, 24 is pretty staggered already.

Im in deep strife if we do that trade.

Giving North 6 & 11 for pick 2 leaves us with 1, 2, 10, 18, 20, 23, 24 ..... Not sure how that's "staggering it out" compared to current picks 1, 6, 10, 11, 18, 20, 23, 24.

Reckon he is talking more about trading some late picks into next year. Maybe pick 20 & 23 if a team is desperate enough.

as you stated that is a presumption.

it may not be a good deal or as much a priority but could we could have landed pick 3 in the bolton trade possibly? Numbers mean nothing of course apart from access and possible other trading values opens.

at the end of the day we are more likely to want five selections than two selections.

We are more likely to want five quality selections than eight selections. Now this is just a balanced theory, I am not thinking of players specifically in mind at all, at least at a conscious level.

The point is, like I stated, we cannot have everything and it would be better not to cut our nose off despite our face.

So in moderation, given we are dealing with probabilities after 1 which we have and 2 if we even get it, we will not know for sure who is available after certain picks but have an idea. Are we better off trying to nab Saints pick 8 for pick 11 if they also want a future second rounder or less( for example just throwing it out there)??

to me, nothing is absolute but there is a two and then a four or five or six, then there is another two and then another one or two before it drops a little I think, but that is just me. This is why pick 6 and other picks around it to me are more important in terms of quality and building combinations for team synergies. They traded away pick 28 to get it so will not want too late a pick(s) in 2024 if gettable

for example, not knowing a lot about the other clubs desires, theoretically Melbournes pick 9 could be gettable simply because they only have two picks, so they could well want more and it is a later pick anyway

It’s very difficult to assess given this appears to be a very even draft with great depth - highly unusual. Here’s what I’d trade based on THIS draft (not based on historical returns of draft picks over time):

Pick-4: I’d trade 11 and 20
Pick-5: 11 & 23
Pick-7: 18 & 20
Pick-8: 20 & 24
Pick-9: 23 & 24

In a normal draft will less depth you’d offer better deals … but not when it seems there might not be a lot between pick 9 and pick-25.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Reckon we package 2 late picks (20 & 23) for future 1st rounder (equivalent of pick 6 points wise) if we get the players we are planning to get with our first 5 picks.

Also leaves pick 24 available overnight if someone else is planning to trade for it.

We use picks 1, 6, 10, 11, 18 and walk into next year with 2 additional 1st rounders.

Reckon we package 2 late picks (20 & 23) for future 1st rounder (equivalent of pick 6 points wise) if we get the players we are planning to get with our first 5 picks.
Won't have to package them, will get F1s for each if we want, with a slide back as well.

Just take our picks as the fall

F*** Norf

Let them find a better team to trade with

Agree, this rebuild is going to take more than 1 year and more than 2 players. Need to play the long game and with our current picks we are already ahead of the curve.

It's a deep draft, otherwise recruiters would be saying only the top 6 are worth it. They aren't they are saying it goes deep past 20. **** pick 2.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back