List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I 100% guarantee there’ll be plenty of duds from when we take our first pick at #1 and our last pick around #30.

2017 was on reflection a very strong draft compared to most. Still contained 10 x ‘duds’ in the top-30. 2001 was the Hodge/Ball/Judd ‘super draft’. 14 x ‘duds’ in the top-30.

So if we take 6 x players, it’s likely 2-3 are ‘duds’.

We’ve just got to pray we avoid them, which given everyone has pretty much the same top-30 is mostly just dumb luck.

And this is why we may make a play for #2, as whilst picks 1 and 2 may not be superstars or end up the best players in the draft, very few are ‘dud’ players. Ie. McGrath is a ‘dud’ #1, but he’s not a dud player.

In fact there has been 48 x picks 1-2 since 2000… the only ones I’d regard as ‘duds’ are:

Scott Gumbleton
Trengove
Patton
O’Rourke
Tom Boyd
McCartin
Schache

So most of those were duds due to physical or mental health. And Boyd should’ve won a NS.

And the last ‘dud’ top-2 pick was 2015 (Schache).

In other words … at pick 1 and 2 were are not getting Corey Ellis, Chris Egan, Ben Lennon, Adam Pattison, Danny Meyer, John Meesen or Lachie O’Brien.

But picks 10+ we might ……. history tells you this.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Get pick 2 then!!

You and Rationale? 🤣🤣

Have you ever considered applying for a recruiting job in the AFL?

Your outside the box thinking about deals and moves no one that has ever considered could be a real weapon in the right AFL team
Please don’t add to problem. Don’t encourage this moron.

lol FOS @ 2 behind Ashcroft.

I mean he is right, but not much has changed since his last phantom, Twomey just showing he has no conviction and just follows recruiters for his “personal rankings”.

Also has Lalor at 4 and Jagga at 5 up 2 and down 2 respectively. 🤣
Had the combine since the last rankings.

Not only is it a deep draft but there are 6-7 players that are in contention to be #1 and they are rated as equal depending on who you listen to or read.

FOS - Lalor - Jagga - Draper - Smillie - Langford - Tauru - Reid - Armstrong
whilst we have our favorites we could just as easily be so happy with any of the 2 players above and we may even get 3 of the players above with #1 , #6 , #10
You've named 9 players add in Ashcroft Lombard and possibly Kako and that's 12 players. By staying as is we would land 4 of 9 and have our rebuild off to a cracking start.

We'd then have 4 later picks toneither continue addressing list needs or stockpiling picks for 2025.

Personally I prefer this approach over going all in for pick 2. FOS maybe rated in the top group but I don't believe he is that much better than the other 7 players in your group of 9.

You've named 9 players add in Ashcroft Lombard and possibly Kako and that's 12 players. By staying as is we would land 4 of 9 and have our rebuild off to a cracking start.

We'd then have 4 later picks toneither continue addressing list needs or stockpiling picks for 2025.

Personally I prefer this approach over going all in for pick 2. FOS maybe rated in the top group but I don't believe he is that much better than the other 7 players in your group of 9.
Who dis kako

I need to be sold on FOS. Just seems like there’s a lot of hype around him and promises that he’ll be a gun but I’m comparison to the performances of others this year, he doesn’t hold a candle to them. I’d rather go with the proven entity (as much as a draftee can be proven) vs the kid who might come good. Thoughts?
I totally agree. I think his average 2024 form line and low possession rate should not be ignored. I think he is talented but I would prefer others in the top 6.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lalor going from 6 to 4 based on no games and not testing at combine is a hell of a form guide improvement.

Yeah but I just got told the combine means nothing unless someone literally jumped out of the stadium because they had a good day

Don't know what others think, but I'd be stoked with that haul, might be a few picks different, like the Dees take the best available mid at 5 then a small forward at 9 (Berry) or a player like Lindsay who also has a deadly foot.

I don't think that we'd trade pick 6 and another 1st round pick to snag Jagger at 2 as he could still be on the board at 6.

What the trading period identified to me was that teams we're keen on HBF's and intercepting defenders, could be that they were the only types available.

Yze stated from the outset that he wants highly skilled players, in particular those that can deliver by foot with precision, vision and penetration and realistically that's what all coaches want, of course mixed with the other highly rated traits like ball winning ability, 2 way players, leadership and last but by no means least, competitiveness.

From what I can see there's a standout 4 players that fit that criteria and in no particular order, Lindsay who can play wing, HBF and transition into the midfield, Langford as a high HF also transitioning to the mids, Berry who could be similar but more a Lambert style and Harrison Oliver who's delivery by foot is outstanding, his courage and competitiveness are standout traits. Smillie could be classed here but just a step down.

My hope is that Armstrong, Tauru and Travaglia get taken by those teams above us between picks 5-9 and that we take Langford at 6, I know he tested slow but he just seems to make the most of his positioning and is a real force forward of centre. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Dees take Smillie before that, the Saints probably can't pass on Jagga at 7 or 8 and then take Travaglia, Trainor or Armstrong with their next pick. Reckon the Dees might trade out 5 to North who'll take Tauru, meaning Smillie might be available at 9. We could then pick up Lindsay and Hotton and bank on Oliver slipping to 18.

Something like this if we keep 6, ignoring F/S's and Academy picks (Dees trade 5 for 2)

1. Lalor (Tigers)
2. FOS (Dees)
3. Draper (Blues)
4. Jagga (Crows)
5. Tauru (North)
6. Langford (Tigers)
7. Smillie (Saints)
8. Armstrong (Saints)
9. Travaglia (Dees)
10. Lindsay (Tigers)
11. Hotton/Berry (Tigers)
18 Harrison Oliver (Tigers)
20. Kayle Gerreyn (Tigers)
23. Trainor (Tigers)
24. Keep trading back for F1 and F2's
Why do most posters keep overlooking Reid? He’s a high possession skilled footballer.

It’s not madness if Jagga at #2 turns into Selwoothd or FOS at #2 turns into Fyfe, whilst Draper at #6 turns into Toumpas and Armstrong at #10 turns into Weidemann…

Any decision we make cannot be judged for at least 12-months, and probably longer.

It won’t stop the melting I know, and on the surface I don’t want to trade 6 & 10 for 2 ATM either … but given Jagga and FOS are not lasting until 6, it could be genius if North don’t accept 6 and 18 (which they probably won’t).

this is all speculation. the draft is a raffle. we ahve sizeable picks lets use them

Any chance at all we get pick 2 with 10 and 18?

I’d be happy going in with 1,2,6,11 and the 2 early 20’s

I am starting to think this way also.
Nth desperate for another first round pick.
Richmond are not desperate for pick 2.
Tauru should be there at pick 10.
So Richmond should have a take it or leave approach and offer 10 & 18 for pick 2.

Lalor going from 6 to 4 based on no games and not testing at combine is a hell of a form guide improvement.
It's his form guide but 100% it's based on what he's hearing from recruiters and trying to get his top 30 to closely align with where the clubs end up picking them.

Why do most posters keep overlooking Reid? He’s a high possession skilled footballer.

Posters, probably because he isn’t in the top 6.

Recruiters, because of his pace (I think it’s fine) and his off field application (at least I’ve heard on the grapevine, and suspect it has an element of truth considering he is not in the top group) not that it’s bad just isn’t up to the level of others.

It's his form guide but 100% it's based on what he's hearing from recruiters and trying to get his top 30 to closely align with where the clubs end up picking them.
Think About It GIF by Identity

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back