• Sam Lalor

• Jagga Smith

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 2 is not for sale.

Please stop asking.

Thank you.

Gold Rush GIF by Discovery

Actually I'm just a repetitive nobody who has no idea about footy, so feel free to join everyone else in just ridiculing what I post
****. Now I feel bad. Sorry.

1729945687791.gif

Sorry. Couldn't help myself. I will attempt to refrain from ridicule except when it's funny.

Pick 2 is not for sale.

Please stop asking.

Thank you.
G'day Dan! You miserable bastard! Long time! How are ya?! Still miserable? Bye!

Anatomy of a rebuild: How Richmond and West Coast are on different paths back to the top​

They won flags between 2017 and 2020, now Richmond and West Coast are bottom-four clubs. MARK DUFFIELD looks at how both sides are plotting to get back to the top.
follow

@MarkDuffield1

4 min read
October 26, 2024 - 11:14AM

10 Comments

If the AFL is a copycat industry: Everyone copies the premiers – then the next five years will give us a fair idea on who teams will try to copy when it comes to rebuilding a playing list.
Richmond and West Coast between them won the four flags on offer between 2017 and 2020.
They are the clubs that have won the last two wooden spoons. Both teams have finished in the bottom six in the past two seasons. In West Coast’s case they have finished bottom three in the past three.
In theory it puts the two clubs in roughly the same section of Mick Malthouse’s “premiership clock” which determines whether you are rebuilding, developing and improving, or contending.
Richmond and West Coast are both in a rebuilding phase. Picture: Getty Images

Richmond and West Coast are both in a rebuilding phase. Picture: Getty Images
But the two hands the clubs will take into this year’s national draft could scarcely be more different:
Richmond currently hold eight of this draft’s top 25 picks - although there is talk of them trading some quantity for quality to get to North Melbourne’s pick two.
In the absence of any further trading between now and draft night, Richmond will take four picks before the Eagles take their first - currently pick 12.
And the Tigers will take all eight of their top end picks before the Eagles take their second - currently pick 26 which is likely to be closer to pick 30 by the time father sons and academy bids are factored in.

Foxsports01:32

Trade Recap: Richmond Tigers​

Richmond has done what it has done in part by design and in part because necessity is the mother of invention. Contracted stars Daniel Rioli and Shai Bolton wanted to leave and out of contract Liam Baker and free agent Jack Graham wanted to go too.
West Coast has ended up with what it has got partly by design and partly by trade misadventure: The Eagles wanted to bring in Baker and his close mate Graham who was a free agent. They came as a package which new coach Andrew McQualter who had worked closely with both during his time at Richmond helped to deliver.

Who gets back into premiership contention first?​

Richmond
West Coast
Cast your vote

But they lost their grip on Hawthorn while trading Tom Barrass out, lost the draft pick they were keen to use to bring Baker (pick 14) in and in scrambling to re-acquire the draft capital for Baker, they had to split their best pick at this draft.
That was pick three- sent to Carlton to get pick 12 and 14 back which was sent to Richmond for Baker. Matt Owies came from the Blues as the set of steak knives in the trade.
[PLAYERCARD]Liam Baker[/PLAYERCARD] is now an Eagle. Picture: Getty Images

Liam Baker is now an Eagle. Picture: Getty Images
It means the Eagles emerged from this trade period looking like a club that had to scramble to get back to anywhere near even terms. They got draft picks for Barrass in the first and second round - but they come in next year’s draft, not this year’s.
But they also addressed a stated need. They wanted players in the 23 to 28 year age bracket to fill a gaping hole on their list they identified two years ago. Baker, Graham and Owies all fit in that hole.
The Eagles were very young in 2024 and after Andrew Gaff’s retirement and the trading out of Jack Darling and Barrass they would have been younger again in 2025 had they not taken steps to bolster their middle ranks.
On face value and viewing this year alone, Richmond’s rebuild looks set to be turbo-charged and West Coast’s might be in danger of stalling.
But the Eagles have brought in 12 young players in the past three drafts: Those players include three they view as outstanding talents - Harley Reid (obviously), Reuben Ginbey who has played 40 of a possible 46 games in two seasons and Elijah Hewett who unfortunately did not play at all in 2024 because of foot surgery but who is highly rated.
Harley Reid will be key to West Coast’s rise. Picture: Getty Images

Harley Reid will be key to West Coast’s rise. Picture: Getty Images
And those drafts show that not all your good players come at the top end of the draft.
On one hand West Coast’s current list predicament is due in no small part to the absence of top 10 draft picks between Andrew Gaff (pick 4 in 2010) and Ginbey (pick 9 in 2022).
But on the other Brady Hough was taken with pick 31 in 2021 but finished fifth in the club best and fairest this year and has played 53 games across his first three seasons.
Forward ruck Jack Williams was taken at pick 57 in the same draft as Hough. He has played 28 games across the past two seasons and kicked 16 goals in 18 games this year. He is yet to turn 21.
Richmond’s draft crop is intoxicating for Tigers fans but a look at history is sobering.

Foxsports03:52

How will the top 5 picks play out?​

• 377605c267c93474c63fde049a8a3eb0

00:43
    Geelong's Best and Worst Future Trades

AFL: The Fox Footy podcast discuss how the top five pick are shaping up ahead of the 2024 AFL Draft

GWS’s draft hand in 2011 was 11 of the first 14 picks. It still took the Giants until their fifth season (2016) to play finals.
And of the 11 picks Jon Patton, Dom Tyson, Matt Buntine and Liam Sumner never emerged as top line players. Will Hoskin-Elliott, Adam Tomlinson, Taylor Adams and Devon Smith became viable AFL players but shifted clubs.
Out of the 11, Stephen Coniglio, Nick Haynes and superstar and current skipper Toby are those who stayed the course with Haynes leaving this year in the twilight of his career.
Having the picks is one thing. Identifying and developing the talent is another and then being able to retain it in the current football climate is another thing again.
The top five draft picks for Greater Western Sydney in 2011. Picture: AAP

The top five draft picks for Greater Western Sydney in 2011. Picture: AAP
North Melbourne has taken six top five selections in the past four national drafts and still needed AFL assistance last year and has gone looking for experience this year. The best talent it took over that period - Jason Horne-Francis - went home after a season.
We view rebuilds with great excitement at the start - when the draft picks are taken and the talent brought in. And we view them with great hindsight and wisdom at the finish when the rewards are reaped: Doesn’t Hawthorn’s list build look a thing of beauty now?
But the Hawks finished outside the eight in six of eight years to get there and 12th or lower five times.

FROM TOP TO BOTTOM​

YearWest CoastRichmond
20176thPremiers
2018Premiers3rd
20196thPremiers
20207thPremiers
20219th12th
202217th7th
202318th13th
202416th18th

Richmond have not been in this territory for some time. They have now missed the eight in three of the past four seasons.
West Coast have never been in this territory before. This is the first time in club history they have missed finals four years in a row.
The clubs are now on two very different roads back to where things matter in AFL football. Let’s see who gets there first.

Reid, Smilie, Lalor, Draper and Smith look the most impressive from the videos. O’Sullivan, Langford looks a bit boring lol
If we had first 3 picks I’d go the Smilie, Lalor, Reid trio. They look like match winners and not just good solid players like the others

Last edited:
Reid, Smilie, Lalor, Draper and Smith look the most impressive from the videos. O’Sullivan, Langford looks a bit boring lol
If we had first 3 picks I’d go the Smilie, Lalor, Reid trio. They look like match winners and not just good solid players like the others
Have I got a deal for you....
Pick 3 for 6 & 20 + swap F2s
Pick 2 for 10, 11 & 18.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 2 is not for sale.

Please stop asking.

Thank you.
Pick 2 should be for sale. North have three talented mids already. They need a midfield bull and key position players. They can get those types at pick 6. So forget the points value, pick 2 for pick 6 and any other pick in the teens is good value for North. North giving up F1 though seems to be a gamble

I’d take lol. We can build an instant midfield

Given the midfield you want we really only need one of the saints picks to ensure we get Reid and take Smillie at 6.

I actually really like the midfield you suggested but it wouldn’t be my preference for this draft if we had 1, 2 and 3. Lalor, FOS + Jagga/Langford

The players in order I think we should target that are a realistic chance with our picks
1 Lalor
2 tauru
3 smille
4 Allan
5 Hotton
6 travalgia
7 gerryn

Players we should steer clear of are

1 jagga (too small )

2 langford (too slow )

3 possibly overlook as well is smiley because of his pathetic overhead marking ability but all his other traits are what we need long term once we get hopper and Tarranto out of the side.

would we take picks 5 and 9 from Melbourne if they offered it to us for pick 1?

Same value (almost) as pick 2 for 6 and 11...
We could but we shouldnt.

You have to take the same amount of picks to the draft as open list spot and we have 8 open list spots (once we promote someone from the rookie list as we need to).

I think we could trade the pick on the night, but you’d have to either forego pick 24 (our last pick) or be forced to trade one pick on draft night. Which again is possible but we’d kinda lose leverage (unless there’s a ‘bidding war’).

Think realistically we’ll take 6 picks on draft night, packaging two to trade up and trading one of 23/24 into 2025 (almost guaranteed to get better return if you trade for another F1). So I think splitting 1 for 5 and 9 and adding two more picks sort of goes against that thinking.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Draft - Post Trade Period Edition

Back